WN Mechanics seek mediation

swamt said:
Hey dawg.  AMFA is always trying to get more work in house, (here at SWA) bring back or in shop work, and of course added lines of maint.  Yes we are at 4 lines of heavy maint in house, which has doubled since AMFA took over the contract from the teamsters.  I do believe some of the highlights the nego cmte is working on is focusing hard on this new maint program SWA is trying to go to, and to make sure that this new maint program called EPIC does not allow them to outsource any work we currently do. Another thing happening with going to this new EPIC program is SWA has to hire alot of mechanics to cover the workload being put on our line RON, hanger RON, and other work groups as well.  The rumor is that we will/are going to 40 over nighters and in my opinion we still do not have enough man power to staff the work load coming. It will take some time into the new year, but I think the company will be forced to hire more than they wanted to as they are always trying to run as lean as possible.  Other work that the nego cmte is focusing on is a lot of new work coming our way with the -800's as well as the 737-MAX, AMFA is is trying to keep some of the new aircraft in house too. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions...
Do you guys do any components in house? Also who does your engines?

Thanks for all the info SWAMT  

I don't have a lot of engine answers for you except that yes we do have an engine shop which is growing and expanding for next year as we speak.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the engine shop does all tear downs and build ups after GE has done the actual engine overhauling. Other items include all interior items. except for the side-wall panels. We do not have a landing gear shop, hydro shop, seat shop, pneumatic shop, apu shop, ect, ect...

On the engine question, I believe we are doing the power by hour with GE.

Wondering if we will see some sort of offer here soon. Seems like the co is now in a mood to get the contracts done and out of the way; Hmmmm, wonder why?  Could it be another airline buy out to put under their belts?  I guess we will see just how serious they are when we get our first offer...

Southwest Airlines baggage handlers to vote on contract

This week, Tue 5th thru Thurs 7th, we will be back at the table with the mediators.  The mediators did say that after the first of the year they would be going "full bore".   I guess we will all see soon.  United mechanics will be done voting on their contract by end of this month, UPS is close to a deal and might have an offer to look at soon as well.  Would luv to see UPS come to an offer (T/A) before we get ours so we can have more to compare with.  Good luck to all in the up coming nego's and happy New Year!

Reactions: 3 people
swamt said:
This week, Tue 5th thru Thurs 7th, we will be back at the table with the mediators.  The mediators did say that after the first of the year they would be going "full bore".   I guess we will all see soon.  United mechanics will be done voting on their contract by end of this month, UPS is close to a deal and might have an offer to look at soon as well.  Would luv to see UPS come to an offer (T/A) before we get ours so we can have more to compare with.  Good luck to all in the up coming nego's and happy New Year!
Just wanted to wish you and your group all the best for the new year. I really hope you bring it home early and secure a contract that overwhelmingly is acceptable to your members for the work they provide to SWA.

The industry has no excuse to offer anything that can be considered subpar with the forecasted profits that analysts think they will make for the foreseeable future.

I look forward to reading your updates.

Reactions: 1 person
I will update as son as I hear something.  Like our Pilots have stated in their press release about the new SWAPA president, it's been almost 4 years and it's time to get a contract done...

Reactions: 1 person
swamt said:
I don't have a lot of engine answers for you except that yes we do have an engine shop which is growing and expanding for next year as we speak.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the engine shop does all tear downs and build ups after GE has done the actual engine overhauling. Other items include all interior items. except for the side-wall panels. We do not have a landing gear shop, hydro shop, seat shop, pneumatic shop, apu shop, ect, ect...

On the engine question, I believe we are doing the power by hour with GE.
Cool. One thing I would love to see the AMFA focus on is mods for your fleet and engine components. Since WN is a all 737 airline it would be easy and fairly cheap to bring the big ticket items in-house. On top of that, IMO, would be a great opportunity to add some revenue because, just on economics of scale, WN would be able to offer third party work at a fair cost.

Anyways, best of luck again. the industry is counting on you guys.  

Hey Dawg, here's that update for you from our last 3 days of nego with the mediators.  Nothing huge but it is progress.  At this rate of TA-ing 2 articles after 2, 3 day sessions it's gonna be awhile...

Hey swamt.

Can you explain to dawg AMFA's and WN's scheduling of negotiations, like how many times a month etc..

The IAM/TWU secured three straight weeks of negotiations, and now another six weeks, for nine weeks total so far straight scheduled.

Over on the AA AMT thread, he said three weeks straight sucks.

Its quite clear he doesnt understand the process, but he claims he is done.

Would you be happy with the two or three days a month you are all getting or would you like nine weeks straight?

I would much more prefer more than just 2 or 3 days planned per month, but our co. would prefer to continue their delays as the RECORD profits continue to roll in. However, with that said, OUR nego's are controlled by the 2 mediators schedules, so I cannot say it is now the co's fault. If we had 3 weeks straight and/or 9 weeks set would be a great improvement.

700UW said:
Hey swamt.

Can you explain to dawg AMFA's and WN's scheduling of negotiations, like how many times a month etc..

The IAM/TWU secured three straight weeks of negotiations, and now another six weeks, for nine weeks total so far straight scheduled.

Over on the AA AMT thread, he said three weeks straight sucks.

Its quite clear he doesnt understand the process, but he claims he is done.

Would you be happy with the two or three days a month you are all getting or would you like nine weeks straight?
I understanding exactly why it is taking WN so long now. 

But AMFA wasn't sitting around for 2 years with its thumb up its ass trying to screw its member by forcing them into a s**t show joint union like the IAM/TWU did at AA. 

Reactions: 5 people
What was the percentage of mechanics yearly gross given to SW mechanics for profit sharing for 2015 please? 

D7571987 said:
What was the percentage of mechanics yearly gross given to SW mechanics for profit sharing for 2015 please? 
We have not received notification on that % for 2015 as of yet, but will keep you posted when we do.  

Quantity seems to what 700 thinks is better than quality of the negotiations productivity. Ya-hoo we have three weeks straight of talks. So far we exchanged bulletin boards and uniforms proposals. Now we wait for the response on those proposals and exchange some more. Meanwhile the profits roll on in and the dues keep moving along. The membership gets hosed. Industrial unionism at its best.