Wonder how much money the airline is making on $100.00 ticket change fees, pet fees, PDQ, cargo, an

Aug 23, 2002
Seems like there are revenue producing areas that the company never talks about besides selling a ticket, like: $100.00 change fees, unacompanied minor fees, PDQ and cargo fees, PDQ fees, pet fees, and mail transported for US Postal Service....

I wonder why that is?

Last spring you could have purchased a walkup one-way transcon SEA/PIT for $100.00. How much money do you think we made(lost) on that deal. $100.00 ticket and $100.00 change fee, make sense to me.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 9:17:20 PM Reservation Agent wrote:

Seems like there are revenue producing areas that the company never talks about besides selling a ticket, like: $100.00 change fees, unacompanied minor fees, PDQ and cargo fees, PDQ fees, pet fees, and mail transported for US Postal Service....

I wonder why that is?

There was a time when cargo/mail was pure profit....pets/minors/baggage over wt-free allowance/change fees all are frosting on the cake....

----------------
On 7/26/2003 10:13:14 PM gilbertguy wrote:

There was a time when cargo/mail was pure profit....pets/minors/baggage over wt-free allowance/change fees all are frosting on the cake....

----------------​

FedEx got a long term contract to haul mail for the USPS. So, the volume of mail that gets handled by the commercial passenger airlines got chopped down a good deal.

That is why managements must fight for every ounce of revenue that is out there! In my business I do some government jobs at $1,000...jobs that are normally retailed at $1,800. I could say that it is not worth my time, but sometimes those low yeilding jobs are the only ones I get for that day and on others they are the "icing on the cake." Wouldn't that icing on the cake that U used to have with mail, be nice to have these days? Mangements of all kinds must be active in all aspects of the operation of the company. It appears that U management is MIA...and I don't mean down in MIA.

From what I have seen, the Cargo amounts have gone way down over the past few years. At one time we could hardly handle it all, having to leave some off to fit all of the baggage. Now at my station we are lucky to handle in a year what we once did per month. Other than HR's, we see very little cargo anymore. And soon the ability to handle them will be gone with the RJ's taking over. More revenue pissed away to the competition. There used to be a cargo sales department, but they must be taking hints from the marketing department. I know the mail went to Fed-Ex a while back, but some other airlines still get a few thousand pounds per day......we get NOTHING.

ALL of the Priority Mail {Orange sacks} was taken away by the Government after the 9-11 Tragedy and given to "others" who don't haul passengers. It has yet to return and may never be given back. Feb Ex did get a long term contact to haul a majority of the mail so we just get what is "leftover". The HR shipments make $1/per pound so thats a good money maker. But honestly, how many of us leave freight off the flights, when it could be put on...?

Back