Worldwide Flight Services

The question was posed earlier as to whether they are unionized or not. WFS is union, I just don't know who represents them.

Two weeks ago I flew out of a station where WFS already ground handles NWA. It was pathetic. The "agent" at the ticket counter didn't know that a nonrev could use the SSD to verify. At the gate, it took three "agents" to board a full A319. They never mentioned Skyteam in any of their announcements. They offered preboarding only to F class (not to Elites, exit rows, or anyone needing extra time and there were lots of strollers in the crowd), and then they boarded by row numbers. Apparently word hadn't gotten out to them that NWA did away with boarding by row numbers almost two months ago.

It was a good indication of what we can expect. I think we will see a lot of inconsistent application of policy and procedure. This station would fail miserably at any station audit.

Some more info on Worldwide...
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/deter2000/27n017.html

:shock: :shock:
Best union money can buy...

I've personally witnessed Worldwide and TWU negotiations in progress.

Local 504, the old Pan Am Local has Worldwide. Richie Boehm and the executive board are all ex-Pan Am, none of them ever actually worked for Worldwide.They continue in place as long as they suck up to the International.

Pam Am closed their doors over 10 years ago yet 504 is now one of the largest Locals in the ATD.Despite their cozy relationships with managements Local 504 has seen its membership drop from 5000 in 2000 to only 3400 in 2005. Most through decertification drives by members who resented paying dues to a union that did nothing for them.

Local 562 rented office space from 504.

I remember Richie informing us that they would be using the conference room on a certain date. I was doing some bookkeeping as Treasurer of 562 that day. The guys from Worldwide showed up, they met in the back room for a few hours, ate lunch and left. I asked Richie how they were doing, he said they were done. A few hours of "how do you do" a number and they were done.

The TWU does nothing for these guys. Most get paid near minimum wage, yet they pay dues so the board of Local 504 can drive around in their Mercedes and Audis. The membership of 504 is spread out from Maine to Hawaii in several different companies. It is pretty much impossible for a Rank and File opposition to be formed due to the fact that none of the members has access to the membership list. If they ask then the board has a heads up and they can work with management to thwart the opposition before they gain any footing. The low wages lead to a high turnover that lessons the likelyhood that they would even bother to try in the first place, why bother? They just move on. The high turnover is a plus for the Local as each new hire pays an initiation fee, which despite the fact that its only $15 is higher than their monthly dues rate which is double the hourly rate.

Local 504 is a typical example of the TWU and a typical example of what has gone wrong with unionism. Local 504 is the template for the TWU International and the destruction of unionism. Local 504 is the darling of the International because they foster low wages, TWU Local 100 on the other hand is the enemy of the International because they demand Justice for workers and increased living standards.

Those of you in the IAM should demand that the IAM hold the TWU accountable for what they have done in this industry. In every class of worker that is unionized the TWU has lead the way with concessions and inferior contracts that drive everyones wages down. The TWU operates on the Walmart principle, sell cheaply and make your money in volume. Their quest for increased dues flow has resulted in a clear pattern of discounted labor for the consumer of labor-corporations. They take workers money and work for the benifit of the employer, and sometimes even get kickbacks from the companies in order to maintain control and keep the members divided-as in the case of the TWU atv AA where AA gives the TWU over $3million/year.

Your jobs are dissapearing, they are going to the TWU where members earn vastly inferior wages than what you earn, thats even after concessions. The TWU is destroying your profession and your IAM is doing and saying nothing because the TWU does their dirty work from under the AFL-CIO umbrella.

I can't believe they are unionized. I gotta go ask. :blink: Imagine! $100(?) initiation fee and $15 a month with high turn over rate. Who's benefiting from this?

it aint the unionized employee of the company! the ones who are profiterring are the "leaders" of that union. :angry: :( :down:
And the leadership of the PFAA wanted to merge with the TWU. Despite the very low wages of most TWU members the TWU International is one of the highest paying unions out there. Despite the fact that they fail to get benifits for many of their members they provide themselves with generous benifits and a pension plan that gives them a 5% increase every year!

I hope the Flight Attendants of NWA keep this in mind when they chose their representative with the AFA.

Latest posts