Would DL employees rather work this out or put both airlines out of business?

RAG

Apr 25, 2006
As a former Piedmont employee I remember all to clearly the day USAir made an unwanted bid for us! It was total denial "THE SKY WAS FALLING" "THE YANKEES ARE COMING" But it wasn't up to us employees Our major creditor Norfolk Southern RR sold us out and we got bought and most of us lived through it and are now very proud of what we accomplished together. Believe it or not we have just as much pride in USAirways as we did for the Speedbird and as you have for Delta. This once again is not up to us the employees its up to the crediters and goverment officials. I want what ever is best of all of us what ever is going to give me the best job security so I can retire and look back at my career and say WOW I can't believe I made it through all that! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! What ever happens I hope we all have jobs....

As a former Piedmont employee I remember all to clearly the day USAir made an unwanted bid for us! It was total denial "THE SKY WAS FALLING" "THE YANKEES ARE COMING" But it wasn't up to us employees Our major creditor Norfolk Southern RR sold us out and we got bought and most of us lived through it and are now very proud of what we accomplished together. Believe it or not we have just as much pride in USAirways as we did for the Speedbird and as you have for Delta. This once again is not up to us the employees its up to the crediters and goverment officials. I want what ever is best of all of us what ever is going to give me the best job security so I can retire and look back at my career and say WOW I can't believe I made it through all that! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! What ever happens I hope we all have jobs....
Well said. As a DL employee, I have no ill will towards the U employees and the creditors will have a big say in this. I just don't believe what DP is saying. Keeping ALL the hubs, no layoffs, etc. Time will tell..

Well said. As a DL employee, I have no ill will towards the U employees and the creditors will have a big say in this. I just don't believe what DP is saying. Keeping ALL the hubs, no layoffs, etc. Time will tell..

Neither do I! A lot will change as we said at Piedmont " whos drinking the Piedmont Punch?" I believer there will be layoffs and hub closers and were just as concerned here at U.

RAG, I think you are being overly dramatic with the put both airlines out of business line. If this deal doesn't go through I seriously doubt either airline will cease to exist. Why do many of the DL employees not want this to happen? We don't believe the crap DP is saying. Many of us are going to get screwed worse if this happens.

RAG, I think you are being overly dramatic with the put both airlines out of business line. If this deal doesn't go through I seriously doubt either airline will cease to exist. Why do many of the DL employees not want this to happen? We don't believe the crap DP is saying. Many of us are going to get screwed worse if this happens.
I wasn't implying that we would go out of business but if it does happen would DL employees prefer to have the NEW DELTA sink rather then work with the US employees? As some of the PI employees did...

I wasn't implying that we would go out of business but if it does happen would DL employees prefer to have the NEW DELTA sink rather then work with the US employees? As some of the PI employees did...
If this goes through, you will see the DL employees step up to the plate. We have pride in our company just as you do. We all want security. We just don't believe the rosy picture DP is presenting..

If this goes through, you will see the DL employees step up to the plate. We have pride in our company just as you do.
That is all well and good, but as customer we get to vote with our wallet. IF this deal goes through, you will not have to worry about the employees tanking it, the customers will.

If this goes through, you will see the DL employees step up to the plate. We have pride in our company just as you do. We all want security. We just don't believe the rosy picture DP is presenting..

Ok... I understand the skepticism over DP riding into town with his tonic and magic elixir wagon. Just look at what has transpired in less than two years:

We at U were in a much worse position. We were a dog with fleas that were infected with mites that had cancer. Agreed?

Then rumors started swirling around that America West was going to buy USAirways. I live in Phoenix and everyone was saying - huh? So were we at U. I mean, how in the world does an airline from the desert figure to buy trammeled U and survive?

Boy were we suprised. So was Wall Street.

I have heard DP speak twice, and he is fairly consistent in his philosophy on how the company needs to run in the new era of airline management.

I don't agree with everything DP says but he's right about one thing. This is the new era in aviation, and he wants to go forward aggressively into it. We at U didn't have a choice. All in all, things are going to work out OK for us. We are pursuing a return to our pre-BK pay scales, and are working on returning some BK givebacks in the contract.

If you feel that you are better off with a UAL or CO, then I hope you get an offer. My sources tell me that if you pass on the US offer, there will be other bidders, and the offers will not be anything close to the cash/stock offer from DP.

DP is smart enough to gage the DL employee temperature, and if its' not within a comfortable range, he'll pull chocks, which would be the best thing for all parties.

Regardless of the DP offer, DL is in play and will most likely not be able to survive on its' own... without a Bill Gates.

...I mean, how in the world does an airline from the desert figure to buy trammeled U and survive?
Boy were we suprised. So was Wall Street.
For the umpteenth millionth time.....America West did *NOT* buy USAirways. Both managements arranged crafty financing to blend the companies together. It was often rumored that US would not be here today if they didn't get the financing for that merger, and HP might have very well gone Ch 11 (again) or even belly up. They needed each other.

For the umpteenth millionth time.....America West did *NOT* buy USAirways.
You are owned by America West Holdings. You only operate under the US Airways name to avoid the regional reference of the America West name.

On April 20, 2005 it was announced that America West Holdings Corporation was in talks with US Airways Group Inc., which owns US Airways, regarding a possible acquisition of the latter. As reported in the press, US Airways would create a new holding company. Shares in that company would be given to America West Holdings shareholders as well as creditors of US Airways.

On September 13, 2005, America West's shareholders voted to approve the merger agreement. 95.5 percent of shareholders approved the transaction.

On September 16, 2005, the US Bankruptcy Court approved US Airways Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization, clearing the way for the merger to be closed as soon as September 27, 2005.

Under terms of the merger agreement, America West Holdings was merged into Barbell Acquisition Corporation, a subsidiary of US Airways Group Inc., on September 27, 2005, with America West Holdings as the surviving company.

Folks, please don't paint Doug Parker as a Frank Lorenzo or Carl Icchan because he just isn't. BELIEVE ME, I was a PI guy and have lived the many US ceos and I know the FL/CI types. Doug isn't even on the radar screen there. For the first time in 18 yrs, someone is actually running the company and not running into the ground. Yes, there are those that hate US that will paint us in a negative light. I have heard many do the same with Delta.

I don't know what direction DP would take the company IF this happens, but I don't think he will be able to treat it as a lcc or use the symbol LCC. I have a feeling he learned his lesson on this one. US had been in deep dodo for years, so we have no place to go but up. It was fine to TRY to make US a full service llc when it was just AW/US, but you guys are more recognized and yes for customer service. I have spoken to DP many times and I really believe IF this happens, he will have no choice but to keep the standard of Delta.

In the meantime, I am against the merger because I can't see paying $8 Billion for a bunch of widebodies (which we need), a few Asian routes, and over 50,000 employees that hate you and are against you and I really feel CLT and Cincy would be history which COULD mean layoffs. As your ceo says, "Thanks, but no thanks." I'm inclined to say KEEP DELTA THEIR DELTA!!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michael B @ Dec 4 2006, 09:19 PM) [post="435255"][/post]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
You are owned by America West Holdings. You only operate under the US Airways name to avoid the regional reference of the America West name.

On April 20, 2005 it was announced that America West Holdings Corporation was in talks with US Airways Group Inc., which owns US Airways, regarding a possible acquisition of the latter. As reported in the press, US Airways would create a new holding company. Shares in that company would be given to America West Holdings shareholders as well as creditors of US Airways.

On September 13, 2005, America West's shareholders voted to approve the merger agreement. 95.5 percent of shareholders approved the transaction.

On September 16, 2005, the US Bankruptcy Court approved US Airways Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization, clearing the way for the merger to be closed as soon as September 27, 2005.

Under terms of the merger agreement, America West Holdings was merged into Barbell Acquisition Corporation, a subsidiary of US Airways Group Inc., on September 27, 2005, with America West Holdings as the surviving company.
[/quote]
Michael, I hope you are right, because if you are, Plenty of Usair employees will be getting a decent pay raise due to the Successorship Grievances.. ;)

B)-->QUOTE(Michael B @ Dec 4 2006, 07:19 PM) [post="435255"][/post]

[/quote]

Good, you convinced me. Can you represent the IAM membership in the upcoming "change of control" arbitration case against USAirways? Because USAirways say that ain't how it went down.

US had been in deep dodo for years, so we have no place to go but up.

and over 50,000 employees that hate you and are against you

I am afraid there are those out there that would disagree with you that any airline that has been in deep dodo for years couldn't go in deeper dodo or worse. I am not talking about USAirways now but just saying theres always other places to go rather then up. Always hope for the best...well you know the rest.

I am kinda wondering how you came to the conclusion 50,000 employees (all DL's?) are against the merger.

Michael, I hope you are right, because if you are, Plenty of Usair employees will be getting a decent pay raise due to the Successorship Grievances.. ;)
A little light reading:

US Airways, America West In Merger Deal: May 19, 2005
http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1116544296.html

US Airways/America West deal announced: May 20, 2005
http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analyst...rwaysameri.html

America West to buy U.S. Airways (Reuters) May 20, 2005
http://www.biznewsarchive.com/8316-america...us-airways.html

America West confident of US Airways deal.(Business News): UPI: June 1, 2005
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/comsite5/bi...id=0286-8089176

US Airways Group and America West Holdings Announce New Board Members for Combined Company: Sep. 8, 2005 09:40 PM
http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/127818.htm

2005: Acquisition by America West and others
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_airways#20...West_and_others

US Airways' past readies it for possible merger: 11/15/2006
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...nd_x.htm?csp=34