would you want a NW/ US merger?

would you want a NW/ US merger? either way, why?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Isn't that how you make money? Large GNP = more spending money, more business travel in order to have a LARGE GNP=lots of travel, does that help. You clearly do not have the cerebral capacity to worry about anyones intellegence but the lack of yours. Perhaps you believe that airlines, like AA, only makes money by flying any route? If this is your management's thinking, no wonder AA ALMOST went BK (and your BK wages)even WITH Heathrow AND your precious South America...
So that's how you determine where to fly to and what is profitable. Based on your assertion US carriers should never leave the US border. The US economy being so large why waste your time with all those other countries? In another thread you said time and again it was the fastest growing economies made for the most profitable air service.

AA cannot make money just any where. AA has been successful and growing in to the power house it is today by flying to places it knows it can and will make money, by doing it better than the competition and monopolizing markets it enters and grows.

Understand there is a HUGE difference between being threatened with a bankruptcy filing and actually filing like NWA did. As for my bankruptcy wages, well we still make more than you.
Order your 787's then you can talk about what you'd LIKE to fly. Firesale? Come back in Jan. 08 and in the mean time, hold your breath. FYI, we launch the 787 in N. America in
Best laid plans, first you have to get out of bankruptcy.
I'm not the one dreaming about NW's 747-400's & 787's and "firesale" Asian jewels. Clearly, you have the need to feel that you (AA)are a big shot...that is diagnosed in psychology as feeling insecure. Although AA only flys to 3 destinations in Asia I don't have the need to remind you that you will never be equal to NW in Asia, no matter how much you pretend to rule the world.
We are superior to NW in Asia. You leave as we enter a market, and with our partners Quantas, Cathay and Japan airlines we offer more of Asia than NW could ever dream of.

AA is a minor (does it sting to read that?)player in Asia and will remain so for many many moons. NWA feeling inadequate? With people like you drooling over our juicy Pacific Division...hardly. I think we know who feels "inadequate" in Asia...(snicker)
Minor :D AA has over 45 billion RPM's, NWA about 23 billion. Who's minor and whos a major and who's a minor carrier? :p
Children often insult when challenged with reality. The reality is AA doesn't rule the world...contrary to your myoptic.
Perhaps I am not very smart,I don't understand this statement and I dont know what a myoptic is. Ok, well you showed me.
You ain't Pan Am...and never will be. Be thankful for what you have. Stop giving AA employees a bad name.
No, I aint Pan Am, wait that just sounds ridiculous. Let me try that again. No, we are not Pan Am and happily so. They had a world wide presence and flew to all the countries with large GNP's and fast growing economies and still that didn't save them. Turns out bankruptcy is a killer, ah but you know all that.
Countries of the World
Gross National Product (GNP) distribution - 2005
You should find an web site that has more up to date numbers.

So that's how you determine where to fly to and what is profitable. Based on your assertion US carriers should never leave the US border. The US economy being so large why waste your time with all those other countries? In another thread you said time and again it was the fastest growing economies made for the most profitable air service.

AA cannot make money just any where. AA has been successful and growing in to the power house it is today by flying to places it knows it can and will make money, by doing it better than the competition and monopolizing markets it enters and grows.

Understand there is a HUGE difference between being threatened with a bankruptcy filing and actually filing like NWA did. As for my bankruptcy wages, well we still make more than you.
Best laid plans, first you have to get out of bankruptcy.
We are superior to NW in Asia. You leave as we enter a market, and with our partners Quantas, Cathay and Japan airlines we offer more of Asia than NW could ever dream of.
Minor :D AA has over 45 billion RPM's, NWA about 23 billion. Who's minor and whos a major and who's a minor carrier? :p
Perhaps I am not very smart,I don't understand this statement and I dont know what a myoptic is. Ok, well you showed me.
No, I aint Pan Am, wait that just sounds ridiculous. Let me try that again. No, we are not Pan Am and happily so. They had a world wide presence and flew to all the countries with large GNP's and fast growing economies and still that didn't save them. Turns out bankruptcy is a killer, ah but you know all that.
You should find an web site that has more up to date numbers.

Your mumble jumble just proved your abstract ODD. Can you still afford EAP on your BK (tho you aren't) wages?

You run all over the place trying to come up with a clever response. Take a deep breath and realize when you are out of your league...Yeah, you do make more than us..what is it , like a dollar?

No, you are not Pan Am...Pan Am never introduced a B scale. Nor did Pan Am have to wait for other airlines to die to discover the world. As for your RPMs, when you fly 300 MD80's and Old A300s(that's called a domestic shuttle[SW does it better and makes lots more money])...doesn't leave much room to comment on an Old Airline that's got something you wish you had. Even with our old DC-9s we deliver a higher RASM than "the powerhouse". I love that kind of self humour.

Let me end with this. We (NW) have been pioneering and working the international arena for over 75 years. We've never needed to dig out an international presence on the carcass of other airlines. We aren't new to this, as others are. Your ability to create a system from scratch has amounted to what in Asia...3 routes? Bravo, that's showing them what a "power house" can do.(snicker)

When one has the uncontrollable need to present one's self in a manner of braggadocio, superior than thou, one suffers from extreme insecurity (a form of inadequacy, the word you tried to use earlier). Help is available, as this condition has been well known for many years...longer than AA has been flying internationally.

Your behavior is typical of a airline new to international service. From where we stand, you haven't been on the scene very long. Have you run NW out of any markets that weren't an AA Hub lately? Didn't think so.

"We are superior to NW in Asia." Now, THAT is rich!
(you've delivered well...night school might help)

Your mumble jumble just proved your abstract ODD. Can you still afford EAP on your BK (tho you aren't) wages?

You run all over the place trying to come up with a clever response. Take a deep breath and realize when you are out of your league...Yeah, you do make more than us..what is it , like a dollar?
Our flight attendants make almost 5 dollars more per hour. Our planes are serviced by union mechanics here in the US, something NW cannot say.

I am out of my league wit you? Hardly there are a some people here I would not question facts from, You Are Not One Of Them.
No, you are not Pan Am...Pan Am never introduced a B scale. Nor did Pan Am have to wait for other airlines to die to discover the world. As for your RPMs, when you fly 300 MD80's and Old A300s(that's called a domestic shuttle[SW does it better and makes lots more money])...doesn't leave much room to comment on an Old Airline that's got something you wish you had. Even with our old DC-9s we deliver a higher RASM than "the powerhouse". I love that kind of self humour.
No, we are not Pan Am. Pan Am ran its self out of business. They had to file bankruptcy and eventually died there, Oh before I forget good luck in the BK court. Is that an example of self humor? I call it sarcasm, but like the myoptic statement you made earlier, I am not sure what self humor is?

BTW Pan Am had B-scale wages too. Pan Am did not wait for anyone to die to discover the world. They were though in fact dream of discovering the US. They couldn't get new domestic routes from the CAB any more than UAL and AA could get any international. Pan Am finally had to buy National to get a presence in the domestic US market. Who goes where is quite different in a government regulated market.

Very interesting about how the 1950s era planes you fly make a higher RASM than our newer MD80's. I wasn't aware that info was broken down by specific AC any where. Could you please post a link. I would love to see it.
Let me end with this. We (NW) have been pioneering and working the international arena for over 75 years. We've never needed to dig out an international presence on the carcass of other airlines. We aren't new to this, as others are. Your ability to create a system from scratch has amounted to what in Asia...3 routes? Bravo, that's showing them what a "power house" can do.(snicker)

Your behavior is typical of a airline new to international service. From where we stand, you haven't been on the scene very long. Have you run NW out of any markets that weren't an AA Hub lately? Didn't think so.
Yes, I am familiar with that early flight you had to Winnipeg Canada. Here is a fun fact for you AA was flying to Europe in 1945.
picture here
The power house serves twice as many international destinations as you. Guess we are doing something right. Finally you left the JFK-NRT market you left, remember?
"We are superior to NW in Asia." Now, THAT is rich!
(you've delivered well...night school might help)
We offer a superior product, and more destinations than you or alliance members do.

I can see where a US/NW combo would be a good fit. Someone said earlier in this thread that the overlap issues would be terrible. How? The only hub to face a downsizing would probably be MEM. US has a strong European presence, while NW is strong in the Pacific. US is big in the Northeast, South, and Southwest; NW is strong in the Midwest.

Our flight attendants make almost 5 dollars more per hour. Our planes are serviced by union mechanics here in the US, something NW cannot say.

I am out of my league wit you? Hardly there are a some people here I would not question facts from, You Are Not One Of Them.
No, we are not Pan Am. Pan Am ran its self out of business. They had to file bankruptcy and eventually died there, Oh before I forget good luck in the BK court. Is that an example of self humor? I call it sarcasm, but like the myoptic statement you made earlier, I am not sure what self humor is?

BTW Pan Am had B-scale wages too. Pan Am did not wait for anyone to die to discover the world. They were though in fact dream of discovering the US. They couldn't get new domestic routes from the CAB any more than UAL and AA could get any international. Pan Am finally had to buy National to get a presence in the domestic US market. Who goes where is quite different in a government regulated market.

Very interesting about how the 1950s era planes you fly make a higher RASM than our newer MD80's. I wasn't aware that info was broken down by specific AC any where. Could you please post a link. I would love to see it.
Yes, I am familiar with that early flight you had to Winnipeg Canada. Here is a fun fact for you AA was flying to Europe in 1945.
picture here
The power house serves twice as many international destinations as you. Guess we are doing something right. Finally you left the JFK-NRT market you left, remember?
We offer a superior product, and more destinations than you or alliance members do.

Yawn...my point was well proven.

$5 dollars in your dreams (would you like for me to post both pay scales?)
Facts are something you have difficulty with. Example: based on your elementary understanding of economics it is more profitable to fly to economies that have a paltry 600-700 billion GNP (Brazil being the largest GNP in SA) vs. Japan $4.5 trillion (why does AA want it so bad?) or China, the fastest growing economy in the world.

I think it is great that you don't have scab mechanics ( I wish we didn't, too bad you can't say the same about your scab B scale that destroyed the wages of the industry)

In case you are having trouble grasping BK, NW is in BK, NW went into BK with over a Billion in cash, NW will show a profit while in BK, NW will exit BK in 5 months (AA's regulation to a minion in Asia will continue, if you're so powerfull why do you need to refer to other companies as we[alliances aren't AA metal or employees]?)

Pan Am, NWA, TWA, Braniff ran AA out of international after only 5 years, couldn't cut it 1945-50. Guess who's still here?

Obviously, you don't understand the process of RASM, my reference to your DC-9 next(those old boys served us well, just like the 747-400, the one we launched, and just like the 787 Dreamliners [US launch customer], and the A320s& 19s) generation 60's tech. MD-80's, was that they are the bulk of your fleet(excluding those long in the tooth 67's, and least I forget A300's). RASM is about revenue, I would assume a "powerhouse" like you would have the highest in the industry since you are so much more powerful than everyone else. What plane was it AA introduced?

Did you miss the reason we and Ual left the JFK market? It's saturated to NRT...get it? Did you run NW out of L.A., SFO, SEA, HNL, DTW?

Actually, AA could fly international they just didn't. When has AA ever pioneered a route? The only way AA knew how to expand was to wait for an airline to die..i.e TWA, EAL, PAA.

No, I wasn't referencing our FIRST international flight in 1928, I was referring to our Pacific service from 1947, as well as our pioneering flights to Japan. Ask your new "codeshare partner JAL" who set them up and taught them how to fly...way back in the 50's. What historical airline did AA establish?

If your product was so superior shouldn't you be making far more money than we do...and gosh, at twice our size (300 narrow bodies, and SW still makes FAR more than you do!)

Bloomberg, expected earning 07 with oil at $55, NW $1.2 Billion, AA $1.3 Billion.

RASM, "powerhouse", high wages (snicker), 300 MD-80s, running airlines out of town, it's just a perfect airline...I'll look for your AA plane (or should I look for JAL?)in Seoul, or Hong Kong where the money is.

Yawn...my point was well proven.

$5 dollars in your dreams (would you like for me to post both pay scales?)
No I have seen them thanks 5 dollars it is.
Facts are something you have difficulty with. Example: based on your elementary understanding of economics it is more profitable to fly to economies that have a paltry 600-700 billion GNP (Brazil being the largest GNP in SA) vs. Japan $4.5 trillion (why does AA want it so bad?) or China, the fastest growing economy in the world.
You make sound as though AA is desperate to get in to China. We are already there. We had applied for additional service to China in the last go-round, In the end AA pulled it application for the new service. We will likely try in the next round for an additional frequency. Its safe to say your understanding of economics, is as strong as your knowledge on how to read a balance sheet. Put as simple as I can. Is it better to have flights and access to a place with a higher GNP and a fast growing economy or a smaller GNP with a smaller positive growth economy? What if the fastest growing is an emerging market, one that is in the process of lifting its poorest people to the just above the poverty line, while the other has a functioning middle class, a viable business infrastructure and strong international trade. Is the first one still the better choice? There are more factors to consider. It is not so simple and equation.
I think it is great that you don't have scab mechanics ( I wish we didn't, too bad you can't say the same about your scab B scale that destroyed the wages of the industry)
I say this tongue in cheek because I know you do. But do you really think that this industry could have grown or managed as things were? Did B-scale destroy the airline industry or save and build it? Would you or I have a job had it not been for the B-scale growth? I make A-scale wages, it took a few years to get there but I make as much as everyone else I work with and 5 dollars more than you. :p
In case you are having trouble grasping BK, NW is in BK, NW went into BK with over a Billion in cash, NW will show a profit while in BK, NW will exit BK in 5 months (AA's regulation to a minion in Asia will continue, if you're so powerfull why do you need to refer to other companies as we(alliances aren't AA metal or employees)?
And here we are sitting on 5 plus billion having never filed BK. Guess those Pacific flights are not the gold mines you dream them to be.
Pan Am, NWA, TWA, Braniff ran AA out of international after only 5 years, couldn't cut it 1945-50. Guess who's still here?
Ran out? Braniff? CR Smith, sold the Atlantic service to Pan Am. We have over the years traded with them planes and routes, a number of times.
Obviously, you don't understand the process of RASM, my reference to your DC-9 next(those old boys served us well, just like the 747-400, the one we launched, and just like the 787 Dreamliners (US launch customer), and the A320s& 19s) generation 60's tech. MD-80's, was that they are the bulk of your fleet(excluding those long in the tooth 67's, and least I forget A300's). RASM is about revenue, I would assume a "powerhouse" like you would have the highest in the industry since you are so much more powerful than everyone else. What plane was it AA introduced?
Then by all means explain it to me in plain english. I guess I dont understand it, and need your assistance. Do tell.
Did you miss the reason we and Ual left the JFK market? It's saturated to NRT...get it? Did you run NW out of L.A., SFO, SEA, HNL, DTW?
Really there are more flights from LAX and SFO, yet AA found room for itself there. NYC was not over run with flights, and if it was AA never would have had a chance to add the flight. The reason you left is that you cannot compete with us on our level. A three class 777 will beat a 2 class 747.
Actually, AA could fly international they just didn't. When has AA ever pioneered a route? The only way AA knew how to expand was to wait for an airline to die..i.e TWA, EAL, PAA.
Since Pan AM got some of its europe from us and Eastern got its Central and South America from Braniff and Braniff got it from Panagra, would seem to a logical evolution. Things change over time. We beat you to Europe, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and South America. AA Pioneered a number of new routes, including connecting the Midwest via ORD to a number of secondary cities across Europe.
No, I wasn't referencing our FIRST international flight in 1928, I was referring to our Pacific service from 1947, as well as our pioneering flights to Japan. Ask your new "codeshare partner JAL" who set them up and taught them how to fly...way back in the 50's. What historical airline did AA establish?
So AA's North Atlantic service trumps yours by 2 years, Oh My! Interesting so the Japanese didn't know how to fly before 1947, when NW arrived to teach them? I read some whereas early as 1941 Japanese were flying over Hawaii.
If your product was so superior shouldn't you be making far more money than we do...and gosh, at twice our size (300 narrow bodies, and SW still makes FAR more than you do!)
I guess higher pay, in house maintenance, real mechanics, pensions all add up. Guess we know why NW will make more. Glad its on your back and not mine.

No I have seen them thanks 5 dollars it is.
You make sound as though AA is desperate to get in to China. We are already there. We had applied for additional service to China in the last go-round, In the end AA pulled it application for the new service. We will likely try in the next round for an additional frequency. Its safe to say your understanding of economics, is as strong as your knowledge on how to read a balance sheet. Put as simple as I can. Is it better to have flights and access to a place with a higher GNP and a fast growing economy or a smaller GNP with a smaller positive growth economy? What if the fastest growing is an emerging market, one that is in the process of lifting its poorest people to the just above the poverty line, while the other has a functioning middle class, a viable business infrastructure and strong international trade. Is the first one still the better choice? There are more factors to consider. It is not so simple and equation.
I say this tongue in cheek because I know you do. But do you really think that this industry could have grown or managed as things were? Did B-scale destroy the airline industry or save and build it? Would you or I have a job had it not been for the B-scale growth? I make A-scale wages, it took a few years to get there but I make as much as everyone else I work with and 5 dollars more than you. :p
And here we are sitting on 5 plus billion having never filed BK. Guess those Pacific flights are not the gold mines you dream them to be.
Ran out? Braniff? CR Smith, sold the Atlantic service to Pan Am. We have over the years traded with them planes and routes, a number of times.
Then by all means explain it to me in plain english. I guess I dont understand it, and need your assistance. Do tell.
Really there are more flights from LAX and SFO, yet AA found room for itself there. NYC was not over run with flights, and if it was AA never would have had a chance to add the flight. The reason you left is that you cannot compete with us on our level. A three class 777 will beat a 2 class 747.
Since Pan AM got some of its europe from us and Eastern got its Central and South America from Braniff and Braniff got it from Panagra, would seem to a logical evolution. Things change over time. We beat you to Europe, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and South America. AA Pioneered a number of new routes, including connecting the Midwest via ORD to a number of secondary cities across Europe.
So AA's North Atlantic service trumps yours by 2 years, Oh My! Interesting so the Japanese didn't know how to fly before 1947, when NW arrived to teach them? I read some whereas early as 1941 Japanese were flying over Hawaii.
I guess higher pay, in house maintenance, real mechanics, pensions all add up. Guess we know why NW will make more. Glad its on your back and not mine.

Just as expected...more dribbling from the state of immature delusion. Come back after treatment when you can join the rest of us in reality.

We'll be waiting for your Superior Asian powerhouse knock out beyond 3 destinations to the fastest and largest economies on earth. When your RASM is superior to ours (an indication as to who's making the most money with their product, until then, you might want to rephrase your wish list.)

AA is the last airline on the planet to talk about scabs. You invented scabs with the B scale, what's even worse, you try to rationalize it. THAT speaks volumes about your state of mind.

Just as expected...more dribbling from the state of immature delusion. Come back after treatment when you can join the rest of us in reality.

We'll be waiting for your Superior Asian powerhouse knock out beyond 3 destinations to the fastest and largest economies on earth. When your RASM is superior to ours (an indication as to who's making the most money with their product, until then, you might want to rephrase your wish list.)

AA is the last airline on the planet to talk about scabs. You invented scabs with the B scale, what's even worse, you try to rationalize it. THAT speaks volumes about your state of mind.
You are great at making unsubstantiated statements, but never answer or follow up. Why is that? Is it because you cannot answer the questions or follow with the associated facts? I guess I asked and answered my own question.

Not sure you know what a scab is. But then again you are not familiar with or fact checking anything you post. Why should this one be any different?

If I can get a word in egdewise....

Fuel costs/yields aside, one of the reasons we heard that NW was suspending JFK-NRT was to use that 747-400 on the LAX-NRT run, thus freeing up a -200 to be converted to a freighter (of course, in true NW style, they then wound up taking two freighters out of the fleet....).

You are great at making unsubstantiated statements, but "never answer or follow up. Why is that? Is it because you cannot answer the questions or follow with the associated facts? I guess I asked and answered my own question.

Not sure you know what a scab is. But then again you are not familiar with or fact checking anything you post. Why should this one be any different?

"or follow with the associated facts?"
In all seriousness, can you please translate that into grammatically correct English? Thank you.

How can one answer so many questions from so many directions. You jump from here to there on every reply.

P.S.
SkyTeam named 2006 Best Airline Alliance for second consecutive year

NEW YORK, January 25, 2007 - For the second consecutive year, SkyTeam was named the 2006 Best Airline Alliance by Global Traveler Magazine.

It's also the SECOND largest behind STAR.

Kev, it doesn't matter. NW and Ual left JFK because the "powerhouse" arrived...huffing and puffing with all 3 of it's Asian destinations. At this rate AA will over take NW as the largest international carrier to Japan in a year. :lol:

It is expected that JFK-NRT will come back online in 08 with the Dreamliner, along with a slew of Asian non-stops.

"or follow with the associated facts?"
In all seriousness, can you please translate that into grammatically correct English? Thank you.

How can one answer so many questions from so many directions. You jump from here to there on every reply.
Sure as soon as you translate this for us all."Children often insult when challenged with reality. The reality is AA doesn't rule the world...contrary to your myoptic."

Try answering one, if you can.

Sure as soon as you translate this for us all."Children often insult when challenged with reality. The reality is AA doesn't rule the world...contrary to your myoptic."

Try answering one, if you can.

myopia

Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek myOpia, from myOp-, myOps
2 : a lack of foresight or discernment : a narrow view of something
- my·o·pic /-'O-pik, -'ä-/ adjective
- my·o·pi·cal·ly /-pi-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Does that help. Take the t out. myopic.

Do you get to work codeshare flights? Or do you just pretend you fly there?

myopia

Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek myOpia, from myOp-, myOps
2 : a lack of foresight or discernment : a narrow view of something
- my·o·pic /-'O-pik, -'ä-/ adjective
- my·o·pi·cal·ly /-pi-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Does that help. Take the t out. myopic.

Do you get to work codeshare flights? Or do you just pretend you fly there?
Oh so it was misspelled, Wow if you could have answered that about 5 posts ago, I wouldn't have spent hours trying to decipher it.

Oh so it was misspelled, Wow if you could have answered that about 5 posts ago, I wouldn't have spent hours trying to decipher it.

Don't kid yourself...you still didn't get it... without an explanation. If you can't grasp a word as unique as that, with one letter inserted... must I say any more.

Everyone else got it. Myopic/ most commonly spelled myoptic. (do you really want me to point out your inability to spell(even with a spell checker?)

Do a google and learn something that you can chat about on your next "codeshare' flight to the Far East.

Don't kid yourself...you still didn't get it without an explanation. If you can't grasp a word as unique at that with one letter inserted... must I say any more.

Everyone else got it. Myopic/ most commonly spelled myoptic. (do you really want me to point out your inability to spell(even with a spell checker?)

Do a google and learn something that you can chat about on your next "codeshare' flight to the Far East.
So you misspelled it, but I need spell check?