Yes or no for the IBEW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjirish317

Veteran
Sep 21, 2007
I say give the IBEW a shot. They can not be any worse than the I AM MANAGEMENT union we have now.

Mr. Eagle,
What do you mean COULD impose the IAM contract? I thought they already were?

Mr. Eagle,
What do you mean COULD impose the IAM contract? I thought they already were?

Freedom,
I disagree with you on a couple of points.
1. I think we will win the COC and would like to know why you think we won't.
2. If the COC is worth more than $19.00 an hr why did the IAM settle for $19.00.
3. Why did the IAM agree to give the company our profit sharing..I thought "the concession stand was closed" for give backs.
I think that the IAM sold us, its dues paying members out and we need to make a change. The IBEW would be a great chance for Fleet Service. IMO :up:

1, well pj , i don't think you'll win because the company allowed it to go to court , this management team is ALL about dollars and cents , if they honestly thought they would lose or that there was even some possibility of losing then I think they would have offered us a better TA to keep it out of the courts .

I guess I’m just a glass is broken on the table type of person lol

2 .As for your second point , I have no idea .

3. Yeah I can see how it looks like the IAM sold you down river from where your at , but you have to remember I’m a westie , to me that contract looked like CHA CHING!!!!

Before I can be sold on the IBEW , I’d need to know how they work , for instance , what are their by laws , how are their elections run ? Would it be easy for us to nominate our own representatives ? Furthermore , would their national ever accept any candidates we might offer , they don’t represent any airlines is what I’ve been told . For me thou , the biggest point would have to be communication , how is it within their union ? Do they put out video’s like captain prater , do they have a union message board etc ?

Maybe one of you can do a compare contrast between the IAM and IBEW so we can see where the differences lie between the unions ?

The company didn't allow it to go to court. They fought to keep it out of court. When
the union sought a meeting to discuss the CIC the company ran back to the "Bankruptcy
Court'' and asked for thier protection. The court ruled it was out of thier jurisdiction and had
to be heard by an arbitraitor. The company then filed an appeal as to that decision. Then the
company tried to pass this TA and in doing so incorporated the CIC in the language. They lost
that and now have no choice but to wait and hear the arbitraitors decision. The appeal is basesd
on the company daying the arbitraitor should not be the one to make a decision on the CIC. The
value of the CIC is large and the language is there in black and white when the company paid
severance packages to any personnel leaving USAIR with the statement ''Due to the Change in
Control , we offer the following packages to the departing leadership at the current USAIR.'' The
company knows this....and thier still fighting it.
As far as the IBEW as most of you know I'm completely behind them. No, I do not seek to
be taken care of by them. I seek a good leadership with the intentions of taking care of the work-
force and listening to the membership. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with the IAM and thier
obvious intentions. They tried to sneak this TA in and because of boards like this and JPN word
spread to ask questions and read the whole agreement, they didn't just vote based on what you
were told to do and I'd hope thats' what people did. I hope they asked questions to people they
know and trust.
Talk to the members of the IBEW and ask them questions...ask. They were in CLT this
weekend and the IAM called the police on them for not having a permit to stand on the airport
property and talk to the fleet. The members of the IBEW asked the IAM represnitives to sit
down and talk, but they refused. The IBEW asked them to come join the discussion in front
of thier own members and they refused.The IAM just doesn't care about us.....This is an opp-
urtunity to ask questions and decide if you feel a change is needed, I believe we do need a
change and I'll support the IBEW if an election should arise and if not I'll support the IAM as a
union, but not the leadership and would hope most of my co-workers feel the same...We need some
drastic changes ...mind you this is MY OPINION. I am close to some members in the IBEW and
if anyone would like to ask some questions one on one let me know and I'll arrange it..., Just e-
mail me via the board...

Thanks

Freedom,
I understand your piont of view. That TA looked great, for the "West Fleet Service" of USAirways. No offense to you or anyone else on the West side, but that TA was aimed at the West, in hopes that enough "Easties" would vote yes and it would go through. Alas that was not the case. IMO a good choice. There were some very informational posts on here regarding the COC. One in particular was the SEC filing in Oct of 2005. It states clearly in that filing that a "change in controll" occured. Ultimately the Arbitrator has the final say so. IMO we will win though. As far as the IBEW I am sure that you could find their By-Laws somewhere. Go to the Local IBEW lodge and ask for a copy. I am in a Class II city, I have 18 yrs with USAirways. So I would have benefited alot with that TA. 2 more weeks vaca, and $19.00 an hour. But i believe that there was a little misdirection with that TA. A little of look at this hand all the while the other hand is picking your pocket. Any union that agrees to lose work for its members is IMO unfit to represent those said members. It was in our current Agreement to outsource certain cities and the company did. So in 2012 those cities that could be outsourced would, all "West" cities by the way. I for one have signed an IBEW card for a representation election. What is the worst that could happen. We keep the I AM MANAGEMENT union and keep what we have. I'll take my chances with the IBEW.

perv,

great post...

in ref clt:

I heard worst yet ... Grievance commitee called MANAGEMENT first ...

theres a company guy for ya or has you say in phl yuuus

I think that the I AM MANAGEMENT union is running scared. They now know we will not accept their BS! :up: Keep the pressure on.

I think that the I AM MANAGEMENT union is running scared. They now know we will not accept their BS! :up: Keep the pressure on.
They are the ones saying "What do we do now." I really don't think they have an answer to that question.

You hit the nail on the head JD. No the I AM MANAGEMENT union is in damage controll mode. Our station has a member of the "Grand Lodge" coming in for a visit. I don't think he will get the welcome that he is looking for though. I for one want to make him feel as unwelcome as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts