Your Opinion.

Aug 30, 2017
Hello,

My name is Josh. I am a 27 year old looking to go to school for a couple of years to become a A&P Mechanic/Avionics Technician. I haven't committed going to the school in Atlanta yet, but I WAS very intrigued. I wanted to get a feel for the job market within the aviation mechanic field BEFORE I committed a minimum of $50,000, so i called my next door neighbor who has been a pilot with US Airways for as long as I can remember. He broke the news to me that many of the major airlines are downsizing and outsourcing many of the jobs that had previously gone to people here in America. He told me that many of the airlines avoid maintenance here in America because of the FAA's stringent policies and for cheaper labor. Planes that needed service fly south of the border to get worked on and faulty avionics just gets shipped back to the manufacturer most of the time.

My question is that I realize that today's world many of the job markets are tough to break into but would you gamble $50,000 to possibly get a career in the Aviation Mechanic field? Or is it already super competitive and chances are I wouldn't find a great career as soon as I finished school? If that field is already accounted for, would you recommend any other jobs in aviation? I've always had a great interest in aviation and computers that's why the avionics technician really piqued my interest. But If it's going to be a huge gamble then I'll look to do something else. All opinions would help! Thank you so much!

P.S.

I'm new to the forum so if this question has been answered a million times before I am sorry. Just looking to get good information!

Last edited:
You are doing something right wannabe! ....... Asking questions! For one, you gotta ask yourself these questions if you plan on getting into this field...... Are you willing to work all shifts? Because if you are thinking Airlines, you will be working nights. Possibly for an extended period. Are you willing to have odd days off? Are you willing to relocate? Because, it's pretty much a given, that sometime during your career, you'll have to make that decision. Check out starting pay and how long you'll be at that pay level. But, there are other good paying Aviation jobs out there besides the Airlines. My son works for a Company that flys CL-415's, water bombers that contract to the Forest Service to fight forest fires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aviationwannabe
I would be willing to do all of what you mentioned. Odd shifts, relocation, etc... I would just ask in return for a stable job and salary. My main concern is overall job availability. I read in a Vanity Fair article (which I'll post in this response) that there are about 50,000 total Aircraft Mechanic jobs in the United States now. If those numbers are true I can't see me gambling tuition money for no job. What are your thoughts on the total job numbers? Thanks for your response Insp4!

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/airplane-maintenance-disturbing-truth

I would be willing to do all of what you mentioned. Odd shifts, relocation, etc... I would just ask in return for a stable job and salary. My main concern is overall job availability. I read in a Vanity Fair article (which I'll post in this response) that there are about 50,000 total Aircraft Mechanic jobs in the United States now. If those numbers are true I can't see me gambling tuition money for no job. What are your thoughts on the total job numbers? Thanks for your response Insp4!

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/airplane-maintenance-disturbing-truth
First off, let me explain that I'm a retired Mechanic/ Inspector, from a major Airline. I put in 40 years, and have been retired for going on ten years. So I am not current as to numbers going forward. The Airline industry today is set up on seniority. Seniority is king. The shift you work, days off, vacations, and yes, the job itself, is all based on it. So if you are looking for "Stability" this may not be the best job for you. I was fortunate. I was only laid off once in my 40 year career. My timing just happened to be good. But I know people who were laid off numerous times. And yes, a major part of Aircraft maintenance is done over seas. If Trump could bring back that work, you could see a major shift in the numbers you are asking about. But, that would ultimately translate into higher fares for the general public. And Congress, not Trump, would not look favorably on that. Another thing is the fact that the Labor Dept. has classified an AMT as "unskilled".

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the phrases "stable job" and "with an airline" are not an oxymoron. There are so many variables involved in the hiring of airline employees. For instance, all airlines are going through a period of frantic hiring of pilots because a large number of pilots have reached the mandatory age for retirement. At the same time, my airline (AA) is also hiring flight attendants to staff coming expansion of routes and destinations, and maintenance jobs are being shifted overseas.

However, as Insp4 said, you are doing the right thing to ask questions first. Be really honest with yourself about how tied you are to the area of the country where you live and the distance between you and family. Another for instance...if you grew up in the South or Southwest areas of the country where Winter is a sometime thing, be aware you might be relocated to Newark, NJ (if you work for United Continental) or Chicago (if you work for American). Winter is very different in those locations from Phoenix, AZ, Houston, TX or Miami, FL.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the responses, it means a lot! I'm trying to read in between the lines here. It sounds like there are jobs out there, which is encouraging! The downside to that would be like what Insp4 said: odd shifts, senior employees get favorable work location, shifts, etc.. and also to what jimntx said about most likely having to move to find work. My current situation is how I would describe as wide-open. I really do not have any "baggage" holding me to one location. I also understand "paying dues" to get more favorable work locations, shifts, etc... which I'm willing to do.

Working as an avionics tech, to me, would be a career I believe to be worth while, and something I think I would enjoy. I just have these serious concerns that haunt me about student debt. Ideally in my mind when I first started thinking about doing this I naively thought that finding a job right out of school wouldn't be too difficult. Now that I'm starting to ask questions that first thought is starting to shift. So I'll be direct as possible with this question because ultimately I think this is the question I'm trying to ask. What are your thoughts about jobs for fresh out of school rookies in the avionics tech position? Not concerning where the job is, or what shift I would take but just plainly are there jobs for that title out there? Preferably with major airlines. Thanks a ton guys you're really helping a guy out! I appreciate it.

Just keep one thing in mind, there are other good paying jobs in aviation out there. But if you have your mind set on Airlines, check their contract for starting pay, and how long you would be locked into that before you get a raise! I wish you luck!

Good Luck,
I really mean that. It worked out for me somewhat for 23 years until the United banckruptcy, then, not so much
One question:
Do you have an A&P with a FCC license?
That's what airlines are looking for when hiring line mechanics,
If you are dreaming of being hired as a bench Avionics Mechanic, be advised that almost all of that work has been farmed out by all the majors.
I know United farmed out 80% of the Avionics back shops and 2 or 3 years ago, made a power by the hour deal with Collins, Honeywell and Thales.
IIRC, American did the same thing 20 years ago.
Much of it goes with your experience as well, it used to be that most mechanics were ex-military that had experience.
I don't know what their criteria is now.
Best to you!
:cool: xUT (ex Ual Tech)

Reactions: SharoninSAT
Don't do it. For 50k plus a little more, you can get an engineering degree and always have options and job security with weekends, holidays off and day time hours, better starting pay and if you change employers, seniority doesnt matter but experience does. you dont fall backwards in pay. You can negotiate salary.

Contra Mundum, Glenn Quagmire, xUT,

Thank you for your recent feedback! xUT, to answer your question I presently do not have a A&P license. I was gathering information about whether it was worth going to school so I could acquire such a license. I also thought it was interesting you bringing up companies like Collins, Honeywell and Thales. Working for a manufacturer like Thales would be an absolute dream but I'm sure you have to have a engineering degree with experience... I do have a 4 year bachelor degree from the University of South Carolina but my degree has nothing to do with engineering. Contra Mundum, what would you suggest as to what type of engineering degree should I acquire to use in the avionics field? You brought up a good point and I'm interested in what you think.

xUT, what do you think avionics manufactures like Honeywell or Thales want as far as credentials in future candidates? Glenn Quagmire, those seems like great job opportunities! My main concern is do they hire a person like me with no experience in the aviation field? Like I was stating in a earlier post I want to go to school to learn skills to get into the aviation field. Thanks again for everyone's input! Greatly appreciated.

Contra Mundum, Glenn Quagmire, xUT,

Thank you for your recent feedback! xUT, to answer your question I presently do not have a A&P license. I was gathering information about whether it was worth going to school so I could acquire such a license. I also thought it was interesting you bringing up companies like Collins, Honeywell and Thales. Working for a manufacturer like Thales would be an absolute dream but I'm sure you have to have a engineering degree with experience... I do have a 4 year bachelor degree from the University of South Carolina but my degree has nothing to do with engineering. Contra Mundum, what would you suggest as to what type of engineering degree should I acquire to use in the avionics field? You brought up a good point and I'm interested in what you think.

xUT, what do you think avionics manufactures like Honeywell or Thales want as far as credentials in future candidates? Glenn Quagmire, those seems like great job opportunities! My main concern is do they hire a person like me with no experience in the aviation field? Like I was stating in a earlier post I want to go to school to learn skills to get into the aviation field. Thanks again for everyone's input! Greatly appreciated.

They do hire people with degrees and little experience. The FAA has a large and rigorous training program for Tech Ops. Nobody knows how to work on ASR-9 or ASR-11 unless you did it in the Air Force. Also nobody knows how to work on ILS (transmission). Only the FAA does (and some private airports maintain their own systems).

The FAA Academy is located in OKC. You could expect to spend the better part of two years there on and off. I know they are hiring nationwide. They have trouble getting people in many areas because nobody thinks they are qualified. It is a cumbersome process to apply and get selected.

Reactions: SharoninSAT
It is a very short step from avionics to electrical engineering.

If you like cutting edge electrical systems, aviation is not for you. Avionics is largely the same as it was during WWII. Not much has improved since the glass cockpit, gps, and fly by wire from the 80's/90's. you have all that on your smart phone.

Get an EE. Then choose your path.

You can work for an airline for twenty years, get canned and forced to start from scratch in compensation with another airline.

Or, your EE experience will carry weight and you can negotiate compensation and work anywhere you want.

Airline work is fine until you find a significant other. Then, it is a whole new ball game. Anyone on this board will have to agree with these facts.

JMHO, it's hard to give advice when you do not state your degree and/or background.
If you have a degree in basket weaving and want to jump into an engineering program, you still have another 2-3 years ahead.
I do believe that everyone here has replied to your topic as honestly and sincerely as they can with the minimal information you provided.
I really appreciate that, as most threads here go political.

I understand keeping your information close to the vest as social media can track down 'almost' everything you post

Best Regards, xUT

It is a very short step from avionics to electrical engineering.

If you like cutting edge electrical systems, aviation is not for you. Avionics is largely the same as it was during WWII. Not much has improved since the glass cockpit, gps, and fly by wire from the 80's/90's. you have all that on your smart phone.

Get an EE. Then choose your path.

You can work for an airline for twenty years, get canned and forced to start from scratch in compensation with another airline.

Or, your EE experience will carry weight and you can negotiate compensation and work anywhere you want.

Airline work is fine until you find a significant other. Then, it is a whole new ball game. Anyone on this board will have to agree with these facts.

I agree somewhat, but Avionics technology has greatly improved since I was changing crystals on a five channel VHF.
Yea, I am an old fart...
Take Care,
:cool: xUT

Latest posts