Zed Help

Dark Cloud

Aug 20, 2002
:) Could someone give me any help in regards to the ZED fare policy? After being retired for over 3 years with 34 years with U and this ZED fare thing is new to me. I was wondering before I travel 40 miles to a U ticket counter and being told that I didn't do the right thing and come back when I have the right info. . I am trying to find out what exactly I have to do to get a ZED ticket. My wife and I want to try the ZED fare on AA in Dec. I want to go from Bos to STL R/T. Do I have to know the exact day I want to fly before going to the T/C. And do I have to know the flight before going there? Not having access to Saber and not knowing how the bookings are, I figure I will try and find someone who works for AA and maybe they can help me with the load factor and the best time in Dec. to try it. One other thing. I understand that retirees are eligible. Are their spouses eligible with them? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks.

Dark Cloud said:
:) Could someone give me any help in regards to the ZED fare policy? After being retired for over 3 years with 34 years with U and this ZED fare thing is new to me. I was wondering before I travel 40 miles to a U ticket counter and being told that I didn't do the right thing and come back when I have the right info. . I am trying to find out what exactly I have to do to get a ZED ticket. My wife and I want to try the ZED fare on AA in Dec. I want to go from Bos to STL R/T. Do I have to know the exact day I want to fly before going to the T/C. And do I have to know the flight before going there? Not having access to Saber and not knowing how the bookings are, I figure I will try and find someone who works for AA and maybe they can help me with the load factor and the best time in Dec. to try it. One other thing. I understand that retirees are eligible. Are their spouses eligible with them? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks.
[post="302607"][/post]​

It's on the hub under "Travel" and I believe they have a page listing all the ZED agreements. Click on the AA banner to see if they offer ZED for retirees, or call the Travel Office at CCY.

Dark Cloud said:
[post="302607"][/post]​
No, you sholdn't need to know any of the exact details. The way I understand it, there are "zones" and "miles". Carriers can be either a low, medium, or high (ZL, ZM, ZH). Within each zone, the fares are broken down by miles. For example, a 1000 mile trip on a ZM carrier is $30, on a ZH carrier it is $42. You can used a ZED ticket on any ZED carrier for the same (or lower priced) zone. So, if you buy a ZH3 ticket (1000 miles), you can also use it on a ZM or ZL carrier. But--you won't get the difference refunded to you.

I don't know how US works, but at HP we can just get the ZED tickets from our ATO, CTO , or pass bureau. For load factor, yes, just call the airline you want to fly on.

Usually you do not have to know the exact date of travel, or the exact flights. I bought a couple ZED's so far, mostly on Lufthansa and British Airways. They are usually good up until a certain date. You have to go to a US ticket counter to buy ZED's, but go to the ticket counter of who you are buying the ZED on to list on their flights (or call the 800 number ahead of time). As JSsup said, there is a whole section on the hub about zed agreements, and also has 800 numbers as well to help check the loads without having to go to the airport.

You are good to go. They are basically the same thing as ID90s as far as travel requirements (space available, not flight specific, etc) and are usually cheaper. The mileage shows about 1040 so a zone 3 would apply each way. $30 plus applicable taxes each way. You can get them at any US counter just like you would a pass on US if you had to pay or any other interline ticket. You can check out any other pass agreement we have and that you and your spouse are eligible for on The Hub. This is the information listed there for AA. Zed fares are valid on ANY carrier we have a ZED agreement with within the mileage requirements listed on the ZED ticket so you could also use it on a different carrier if we have an agreement or a different city pair.

Includes American Eagle, does not include American Connection

Eligibility: US Airways, US Airways Express and US Airways Shuttle full-time / part-time employee, retiree, spouse, domestic partner, unmarried dependent children under 21, and parents.

Required Service Time: 12 months

Ticket Validity: 6 months

Reduction: ZED fares are based on point to point mileage.
Medium ZED: Employee, retiree, spouse, domestic partner, unmarried dependent children 12-21 years of age and parents (NOTE: Parents eligible for 1 Medium ZED ticket per calendar year.)
Distance in miles Ticket Designator Fare in USD

751-1600 IDZM3R 30

tadjr said:
You are good to go. They are basically the same thing as ID90s as far as travel requirements (space available, not flight specific, etc) and are usually cheaper. The mileage shows about 1040 so a zone 3 would apply each way. $30 plus applicable taxes each way. You can get them at any US counter just like you would a pass on US if you had to pay or any other interline ticket. You can check out any other pass agreement we have and that you and your spouse are eligible for on The Hub. This is the information listed there for AA. Zed fares are valid on ANY carrier we have a ZED agreement with within the mileage requirements listed on the ZED ticket so you could also use it on a different carrier if we have an agreement or a different city pair.

[post="302621"][/post]​

I was a ticket agent for years and ZED's are very easy. Sounds like you got some pretty good advice already. It might be tough to find someoen at a counter who knows how to do them though. I seemed to be one of the only ones that did in BUF. :) Any other questions, PM me.

You can call the Employee Travel Line and have a PNR built before you go to an ATO, as that will save a lot of bother, especially as ChrisUS said, alot of agents dont know or want to know how to book them. They are good for 90 days from date of issue.

:) I thank you all for your help. One thing I noticed with U. Things have not changed when it comes to employees helping each other out with a problem. 34 years it was like that and it looks like it will always continue. Thanks again !

reznc said:
, alot of agents dont know or want to know how to book them.
[post="302650"][/post]​

Not sure what system we will eventually end up with, but with HP, the ZEDS are a piece of cake to do. No excuses from anyone on not being able to do them. They have everything programmed into the computer. All you have to do is make the reservation and get to the "Non Rev Ticketing" keypad and then hit the Zed key and fill in the mask. It automatically figures out the cost (H/M/L) when you tell it who is being ticketed and what the mileage is, taxes, etc. Took about 2 minutes to do one the other day.

tadjr said:
Not sure what system we will eventually end up with, but with HP, the ZEDS are a piece of cake to do. No excuses from anyone on not being able to do them. They have everything programmed into the computer. All you have to do is make the reservation and get to the "Non Rev Ticketing" keypad and then hit the Zed key and fill in the mask. It automatically figures out the cost (H/M/L) when you tell it who is being ticketed and what the mileage is, taxes, etc. Took about 2 minutes to do one the other day.
[post="302762"][/post]​

They arent that difficult in SABRE either, make a listing and fill in the details in the fare mask. Most agents dont bother to learn though. The old, " you cut my pay 26%, you GET 26% less work" type of mentality. personally, I think that's just an excuse to do less work and I WAS an agent. :)