Zero tolerance PHL

Piney
The idea was that 10 managers come from around the system for just 4 weeks to help local management get things under control. Then phase out.
Not move to PHL forever.
And if going from a ramp lead to station director was such a good idea US would have 30 year employees looking to move up instead of having to hire management off the street with no airline experience.
Thanks for coming on this board to tell us how great you are though. ;)

Piney
Again you miss the point.
If giving up your union protection in this industry was worth the extra $$ management makes....then everyone would be trying to do it.
They are not.
I know you may find this hard to believe but many ramp agents are educated...yes siree...we gots degrees.
What I do find funny though is that some one whose "trip reports" were laced with comments about how the flight attendants and gate agents looked age and shape wise would be posting on a "zero tolerance" thread.
Good day.

If the company isn't offering a substantial reward to go to PHL to fix it why would anyone go? For an "attaboy?"

If the choice is "Go to PHL and clean it up or be fired" I'm taking the unemployment, severence and telling Crellin to "Bite Me". It doesn't pass the W.I.I.F.M test (What's In It For Me)

I agree they ought to send in a SWAT team of highly experienced managers with specific goals and measurable targets with a time frame to accomplish the goals and a generous reward for their successful efforts.

House needs to be cleaned, rules enforced, expectations clearly communicated and consequences for failure to do so. Believe me you can do worse then fire an employee.

Bob....

If I could just comment on your post a little.

In PHL the did go in and try to change things. The added layers of Management to try and fix the problems. They tried to use incentives to get Managers to come to PHL. One of the ways they tried to get decent managers to come to PHL was to offer almost 15K more a year for PHL managers then any other station in the system. Then they also promised then a "write your own ticket" after they put in their time in PHL.

My opinion is that the incentives did work to bring in SOME talented managers into PHL. But now you have all of these "talented managers" trying to do what THEY think will fix the problem and they all have competing agendas. No one is on the same page with the same goals in mind. When Manger A says to do something, Manager B choses to ignore the request and do things his/her own way. The links in the chain of command are/were all busted.

What they need(ed) is to have a Director that is able to set the common goal, establish the links of command, hold those accountable for not following the proper chain, elminate the personal goals and agendas and get everyone focused on the common cause. If I am a gate agent and I am working with Manager A today and Manager B tomorrow, I shouldn't have to adjust my work performance to accomodate their agendas. They should be consistent within the ranks of all of the managers in that departmnt.

That is just my opinion as an outside observer. Hopefully Tony will be able to do just that. Get everyone on the same page. Change like that won't happen overnight and may require that some of the "talent" be shifted away from PHL and new "talent" brought in to re-link the chain of command.

Bob....

If I could just comment on your post a little.

In PHL the did go in and try to change things. The added layers of Management to try and fix the problems. They tried to use incentives to get Managers to come to PHL. One of the ways they tried to get decent managers to come to PHL was to offer almost 15K more a year for PHL managers then any other station in the system. Then they also promised then a "write your own ticket" after they put in their time in PHL.

My opinion is that the incentives did work to bring in SOME talented managers into PHL. But now you have all of these "talented managers" trying to do what THEY think will fix the problem and they all have competing agendas. No one is on the same page with the same goals in mind. When Manger A says to do something, Manager B choses to ignore the request and do things his/her own way. The links in the chain of command are/were all busted.

What they need(ed) is to have a Director that is able to set the common goal, establish the links of command, hold those accountable for not following the proper chain, elminate the personal goals and agendas and get everyone focused on the common cause. If I am a gate agent and I am working with Manager A today and Manager B tomorrow, I shouldn't have to adjust my work performance to accomodate their agendas. They should be consistent within the ranks of all of the managers in that departmnt.

That is just my opinion as an outside observer. Hopefully Tony will be able to do just that. Get everyone on the same page. Change like that won't happen overnight and may require that some of the "talent" be shifted away from PHL and new "talent" brought in to re-link the chain of command.
good luck with both your new managers....

Here's an Idea;

If your a US passsenger, and connecting in PHL is THE ONLY way to complete your trip, use another carrier(Stop worrying about your frequent flyer miles, they're NOT worth the stress) THEN WRITE PARKER A LETTER detailing what you've done, singularly,or as a "group"

Management as a group, still sits up and takes notice, when the ca$h register continues coming up short.

PHL O/D traffic is another story at US. Just make sure you do ALL carry on's !

Just do what ever possible to "COST PHL money"

Sometimes you have to take 4 steps backwards, to be able to take 7 forward !!

With AA,I worked in EWR, and ORD twice, and the brothers were never a problem !!

NH/BB's

I will take the problems in PHL over the cluster in ORD any day of the week. ORD ATC is no better then PHL. In fact, I would wager that it is worse.

Money rules, and the only thing that will fix PHL ramp problems is money...mostly money in the pockets of ramp workers. US has created "throw away" jobs on the ramp and they have attracted workers who:

1. Cannot get hired for any other type of job (i.e. one that pays a good hourly wage,)

2. Have likely been through several other "throw away" jobs in the past and don't have a work ethic that will keep them in a job that pays well since they start the job at PHL knowing full well that it can be replaced easily with another "throw away" job (they've done it before,)

3. Have no respect for anyone other than the little they have for themselves (don't even THINK that they could fathom the concept of "good customer service." They don't see the customer, so the customer does not exist in their world.)

Only by making the job pay above standard will they attract folks who see the value in such a job and will perform in order to keep it. Nothing will change until that happens. It's about the money. Always was. Always will be.

Money rules, and the only thing that will fix PHL ramp problems is money...mostly money in the pockets of ramp workers. US has created "throw away" jobs on the ramp and they have attracted workers who:

1. Cannot get hired for any other type of job (i.e. one that pays a good hourly wage,)

2. Have likely been through several other "throw away" jobs in the past and don't have a work ethic that will keep them in a job that pays well since they start the job at PHL knowing full well that it can be replaced easily with another "throw away" job (they've done it before,)

3. Have no respect for anyone other than the little they have for themselves (don't even THINK that they could fathom the concept of "good customer service." They don't see the customer, so the customer does not exist in their world.)

Only by making the job pay above standard will they attract folks who see the value in such a job and will perform in order to keep it. Nothing will change until that happens. It's about the money. Always was. Always will be.
Good try but I think your dreaming
$$ has nothing to do with who gets hired and what work ethics they carry into a work place.

The union has just as much a play in this thing as mgnt.
I.M.O. You lead by example and I think that the 22 did not as union mentors...The leadership responsibilty is not only protect the worker but also has to make them responsible workers something the union has overlooked and used as a bargining chip when things didnt go their way...
The 22 adults ,yes with families ,did not act responsible in any way and are now paying for their irresponsibilty there is no bargining chip in this case .
again I.M.O for what ever the reason the 22 acted as they did they acted totaly irresponsible.