Zurich is lovely this time of year.....

missthe727

Senior
Dec 19, 2006
Well, here I sit on my block of days off. I was watching the ETB board trying to get any international trip to help me pay my bills and guess who's on his way to ZRH tonight.
I'm sorry folks, I am just really having a problem with the fact that our PHL LECP who has an open block and can collect 108 hours of pay can randomly pick up any ETB trip when he wants because he doesn't have to live with the 24 hours off in 7 day rule that we do. How fair is that ?
I would LOVE to have 50 hours in Zurich but need to be legal to have 25:15 off duty when I come back in so I can then fly for the company. Seems like our union reps. are exempt from this and I want to know why.
Is he going to come in and take his legal break before going back to the office ??? It's amazing what these people get away with......
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just got this email and thought I would share.
BTW John McCorkle ZHR? Must be nice. AFA officers are not
binding on the 24/7 rule.

Hello folks.

I'm just a skinny, junior reserve flight attendant, but I have to say something here.

I pay $39, soon to be $42, a month in union dues. That's a lot for all of us, especially those of us who make $25 an hour after all these years. That's a cheap cell phone plan, a gym membership, a night on the town (well, maybe Essington...), two dinners at Chili's, a Match.com membership, dry cleaning to make my raggedy-ass uniform look halfway presentable. Or a hell of a lot of value meals at Mickey D's.

I could use the $39 in a variety of ways.

Is this what my $39 a month is getting me? Obnoxious, poorly written emails detailing people's tiresome personal tiffs? I couldn't care less who is mad at who, or who thinks who is stupid. Is all of this nonsense happening on union time that we are paying for?

The AFA website says "Simply put, the goal of flight attendants who become part of AFA-CWA is to negotiate better pay, benefits, working conditions and work rules at their airline, and to improve their safety on the job." It doesn't say anything about sending unprofessional, tacky personal emails from AFA addresses.

How are negotiations going? Where's my damm pay increase? Any word on a reserve system that is somewhat human like the other airlines have? Where is the information I can use to maximize my income and protect my rights?

I mean seriously, are you kidding me? Am I alone here?

No wonder we have the worst contract and conditions in the industry.

I haven't read stupid drivel like this since study hall, and I know for a fact that each and every one of you is older than I am. GROW UP.

Let me know when you have an E-Line with information pertinent to my career or contract.

Well, here I sit on my block of days off. I was watching the ETB board trying to get any international trip to help me pay my bills and guess who's on his way to ZRH tonight.
I'm sorry folks, I am just really having a problem with the fact that our PHL LECP who has an open block and can collect 108 hours of pay can randomly pick up any ETB trip when he wants because he doesn't have to live with the 24 hours off in 7 day rule that we do. How fair is that ?
I would LOVE to have 50 hours in Zurich but need to be legal to have 25:15 off duty when I come back in so I can then fly for the company. Seems like our union reps. are exempt from this and I want to know why.
Is he going to come in and take his legal break before going back to the office ??? It's amazing what these people get away with......

Who's the PHL LECP?

Actually no, you don't have to have 25:15 off in base because you would have that off in ZRH...

IF you had gotten the trip instead of John.

However, that being said, I think it is VERY wrong for him to get 108 AND ETB time too.

If he wants to take his ZRH trip worth 19 some hours and subtract it from his 108 and claim the difference then that's one thing but he shouldn't be getting his cake and eating it too by taking a trip away from a reserve or anyone else when he is getting a more than a full paycheck from AFA

Shame on him.......

Actually no, you don't have to have 25:15 off in base because you would have that off in ZRH...

IF you had gotten the trip instead of John.

However, that being said, I think it is VERY wrong for him to get 108 AND ETB time too.

If he wants to take his ZRH trip worth 19 some hours and subtract it from his 108 and claim the difference then that's one thing but he shouldn't be getting his cake and eating it too by taking a trip away from a reserve or anyone else when he is getting a more than a full paycheck from AFA

Shame on him.......

He has one week vacation. Any LEC representative can do whatever they want on vacation, i.e. pick up a trip, pick their nose, pick their ass, go to see their grandma, whatever they want to do.

Here's a question for anybody in the know.....and I'm not pointing fingers at the current PHL LECP, because I could care less what he does on his VAC days.....it's his personal time off. Question is, can deployed F/T flight attendants still use the ETB to pick up trips? And, if allowed, would the 24/7 rule apply to them? :huh:

Here's a question for anybody in the know.....and I'm not pointing fingers at the current PHL LECP, because I could care less what he does on his VAC days.....it's his personal time off. Question is, can deployed F/T flight attendants still use the ETB to pick up trips? And, if allowed, would the 24/7 rule apply to them? :huh:

That's a good question. My understanding of company deployement is f/as were paid a max of 100 hours for company business. F/as couldn't pick up more company time because that would put them in an "over fly". Since the implementation of ETB, time picked up on days off, vac. the and 24/7 rule applies.

The very unusal issue here is that the company has NEVER deployed a union rep to do union business. Since most LECPs are PPO, meaning they don't actually pick a block but can claim what they could hold, using ETB on off days or vacation allows them to come in with 130-150-170 hours possibly in a month. The issue with this PHL LECP is that he was never circled in in 2005 to even receive 100 hours of company time. He asked the company to circumvent the contract language and the company did it and called it "company deployement" so not to raise any eyebrows. This guy acutally recieves 108, so its above the usual 100 deployment hours.

As a former union rep, I can tell you that this is just plain wrong. And it is up to the PHL f/as if they think by majority this PERK is acceptable or not. Pending elections will determine what PHL f/as believe is appropriate to have a union president on "company deployment" for pay purposes which all comes out of dues $$. What "company deployment" does is allows the rep to exceed what he would normally be able to hold as a block holder. Which would be a winfall for him.

That's a good question. My understanding of company deployement is f/as were paid a max of 100 hours for company business. F/as couldn't pick up more company time because that would put them in an "over fly". Since the implementation of ETB, time picked up on days off, vac. the and 24/7 rule applies.

The very unusal issue here is that the company has NEVER deployed a union rep to do union business. Since most LECPs are PPO, meaning they don't actually pick a block but can claim what they could hold, using ETB on off days or vacation allows them to come in with 130-150-170 hours possibly in a month. The issue with this PHL LECP is that he was never circled in in 2005 to even receive 100 hours of company time. He asked the company to circumvent the contract language and the company did it and called it "company deployement" so not to raise any eyebrows. This guy acutally recieves 108, so its above the usual 100 deployment hours.

As a former union rep, I can tell you that this is just plain wrong. And it is up to the PHL f/as if they think by majority this PERK is acceptable or not. Pending elections will determine what PHL f/as believe is appropriate to have a union president on "company deployment" for pay purposes which all comes out of dues $$. What "company deployment" does is allows the rep to exceed what he would normally be able to hold as a block holder.

PB,

I guess the 24/7 rule makes sense if you are deployed on a full time basis. If you are a deployed F/A working fulltime on company business you should be allowed to use the ETB as long as you fall within the 24/7 rule....being as you still are an active F/A you should still be allowed to use the ETB....if you are legal to fly during your off time whether it's your days off or vacation days.

When you refer to the current PHL LECP as being circled or red circled, does that refer back to when fulltime deployed f/a's got 105 hours of flight pay before all of the concessions took place? And that would apply if your were deployed during that period until now? :huh:

He has one week vacation. Any LEC representative can do whatever they want on vacation, i.e. pick up a trip, pick their nose, pick their ass, go to see their grandma, whatever they want to do.
OK---So, here's where the plot thickens. If he is on VAC and the Zurich trip is 4 days w/ a 50 hour layover, then he must have at least 4 days VAC. Which means at 108 AFA at 5 hours a day pay, he should be in the office 21.5 days for the month of February if he collects his full 108 which he has been doing. This gives him 4.5 days free for himself after those 21.5 days in the office and this 4 day ETB trip. Which of course is his choice but doesn't give him much personal time.

I don't care if he picks his nose, ass or anyone's else's anything else......just be in the office when you are getting paid to be there and don't rip off the members by collecting 108 when you are not there. Period.

How is he getting these trips? The trade board is "first come first serve" is he sitting in the office on the AFA computers, and member paid internet connection and watching trips when he should be doing union work? or is someone sending him the trips? We all know ITD trips are the most difficult to pick up especially the 4 day transatlantic. If someone is sending him the trips, what is he doing for them? Anyway you slice it its inappropriate. :down:

How is he getting these trips? The trade board is "first come first serve" is he sitting in the office on the AFA computers, and member paid internet connection and watching trips when he should be doing union work? or is someone sending him the trips? We all know ITD trips are the most difficult to pick up especially the 4 day transatlantic. If someone is sending him the trips, what is he doing for them? Anyway you slice it its inappropriate. :down:

WELL FOLKS ALL OF YOU NEED TO CALL THE MEC MIKE FLORES AND ASK ABOUT IT. JOHN IS NOT ENTITLED TO 105, HE WAS NOT GRANDFATHERED IN.

IF WE ALL CALL THE MEC 412-262-3110 AND START ASKING IT WILL STOP. (BTW THAT PHONE NUMBER IS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE)

SO CALL ALOT EVERY TEN MINS OR SO AND BY 5 PM THEY WILL BE SICK OF IT.

ALSO GOTO THE AFA SITE WWW.USAIRWAYSAFA.ORG AND THEN CALL ALL THE LOCAL PRESIDENTS THEY ARE ALL PART OF THE MEC AND TELL THEM ABOUT IT.

BTW IM NOT SHOUTING THE COMPUTER ONLY TYPES IN CAPS

Latest posts