Welcome to AirlineForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Boeing 787 work being moved in house after failed Outsourcing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

777 fixer

777 fixer

Veteran

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts

As for the Boeing SC facility location I believe this was a chess move by Boeing. The company wanted a second manufacturing plant in a right-to-work state. If Boeing had announced plans to build the SC facility there would have been a war in Seattle. However if a supplier 'chose' to build in SC then Boeing averts a PR disaster. Supplier quality-control issues accelerated the Boeing takeover.

So Boeing purposely choose a supplier knowing they would mess it up and thus would have to buy them out spending around a billion dollars on the facility? Add to that the stock price of both companies taking a hit and customers beating on their door demanding compensation for late deliveries? Is the fact that Beong won't make money on the aircraft till around ship 1000 part of their master plan as well?

787nightmare

787nightmare

Veteran

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
Pretty accurate.

http://www.heraldnet...m-on-hold-again

777 fixer

777 fixer

Veteran

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts

Pretty accurate.

http://www.heraldnet...m-on-hold-again

This statement tells you what wnet wrong...

But this was no longer the trailblazing, risk-taking Boeing of a generation earlier. The company had acquired rival McDonnell Douglas in 1997. Many McDonnell Douglas executives held leadership positions in the new company. The joke was that McDonnell Douglas used Boeing's money to buy Boeing.

The 707 and 747 were blockbuster bets that nearly ruined the company before paying off. McDonnell Douglas executives didn't have the same appetite for gambling.

chris perry

chris perry

Veteran

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
This all goes back to the cheapest bidder.I worked flight test at general Dynamics,we had a few projects that were contracted out.
(McDonald Douglas) built our instrumentation pod for a flight test program series.We had to completely scrap it and start over just because the engineers had a communication issue.If it were built in house that would have been stopped or caught before several million dollars were wasted.Just because it was built to spec doesn't mean it works properly.

chris perry

chris perry

Veteran

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
http://seattletimes....rmid=obinsource

Lots of batteries failing,it seems most were discharged.I do a little RC flying (helicopter) and use lipo's. Yes they are pretty dangerous if over discharged and recharged.The system shouldn't allow that to happen.I'm not sure how much safer lithium-ion are but I overcharged a lipo and it melted a coffee can when it caught fire.I can tell you this your not putting the fire out easily,its doubtful halon would even phase it.I emptied a whole ext of dry chemical and nothing. That's just three little cells one pack! My charger malfunctioned major fire white hot.
I was lucky I was warned those batteries were volatile and I always charged them out of the helicopter and outside in a bunker.

777 fixer

777 fixer

Veteran

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts

This all goes back to the cheapest bidder.I worked flight test at general Dynamics,we had a few projects that were contracted out.
(McDonald Douglas) built our instrumentation pod for a flight test program series.We had to completely scrap it and start over just because the engineers had a communication issue.If it were built in house that would have been stopped or caught before several million dollars were wasted.Just because it was built to spec doesn't mean it works properly.

That's what happens, you lose quality control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users