#1 FA retires (finally)

featheroleather

Advanced
Aug 9, 2004
iris.jpegSubject: UAL F/A 85 Retires (Finally)

The lady on the right is "Iris," now in the process of retiring from United Airlines.

She was 84 or 85 when this picture was taken some months ago, and is 85 now.

No airline pilot in the USA was even born yet, when Iris started
working for UAL. I think she joined in her teens.

She has been #1 for a very, very long time. The lady who was #2 all
those years tried to hang in there and get the #1 number before
retiring, but Iris out-lasted her.

One story is that Iris retired last October, but forgot to turn in the paperwork.

A true story is that she once airlined to SFO (her long-time domicile) from her home in Seattle, caught a nap in the crew lounge, woke up, thought she was at the end of a trip, and went home.

Got a rare DNF (Did not Fly) that day!

Iris is a legend and a very fine lady. I had the pleasure of working with her and hearing her stories from the early days.
She began her career in 1946 and will officially be leaving in May, but has already flown her last trip. I hope she has many more years to enjoy her retirement from United. All the best, Iris!

I heard that she was very angry that the long-time number one on the seniority list was a flight attendant who came over with the Capital merger, and Iris was bound and determined to outlast her.

I believe the former Capital flight attendant retired a while back.

Iris is a legend, and should be commended. I will admit we heard about some of her "tales," even over at AA.

The woman who was number 2 at United was Jo Humbert and she retired shortly after 9/11. As far as the rivalry between her and Iris, it simply isn't true. That was mere jumpseat gossip. Iris and Jo had a mutual respect for each other. Jo Humbert appeared in advertisements for Capital Airlines that can sometimes be seen on eBay. Iris is a very sweet lady and did a lot to advance the job of airline stewardess into the profession better known as flight attendant. I wish her health and happiness in her retirement...

The woman who was number 2 at United was Jo Humbert and she retired shortly after 9/11. As far as the rivalry between her and Iris, it simply isn't true. That was mere jumpseat gossip. Iris and Jo had a mutual respect for each other. Jo Humbert appeared in advertisements for Capital Airlines that can sometimes be seen on eBay. Iris is a very sweet lady and did a lot to advance the job of airline stewardess into the profession better known as flight attendant. I wish her health and happiness in her retirement...

I did a little digging, and found I still have a book about flight attendants, published in the 80s, which profiled both Jo and Iris, along with AA's Juanita Carmichael.

Hooray for Iris

May she enjoy the rest of her remarkable life!

I wish she would write a book, she must have some stories to tell. :up:

Latest posts