1 Union, 2 Visions

May 19, 2003
Visit site
From the article

"1 UNION,

2 VISIONS When US Airways Chairman David Bronner met with leaders of the flight attendants' union early this month, Teddy Xidas, president of the Pittsburgh local, introduced herself in her characteristically outspoken manner.

"I said, `I read about you in the paper and, with all due respect, Dr. Bronner, I can tell you that I don't like you, and if you knew me, you wouldn't like me either,' " Xidas recalled."

You have to register to see the article.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/

Xidas, 44, says she is determined to protect workers, even if it means management decides to shut down the airline.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the attitude I am speaking of. I don't believe it represents the majority of the people she is supposed to be representing! Preposterous!

[/QUOTE]
Ferrara said she is organized while Xidas is not. "I am not as emotional as Teddy," she said. "I like to listen."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us all hope Ferrara is the new leader, she is more rational, obviously.

New leadership will go far for our company.

uza,

The members will decide what they are willing to accept. Not you or I will decide for them. Our members know what is at stake.

aThose who would rather listen are those who can't articulate a position clearly and defend it.

b)Those who don't know the issues before them, only can listen.

c)Those who have never argued to save a job or a grievance, have no choice but to listen.

d) those who are followers, listen.

BTW, the opponent voted down both proposals. FYI.
If she wins, YOU won't.

usa,

History reveiw for you:

Flight attendants in PIT as a majority voted against the winter concession. PIT Pres. does represent the Majority of the members in PIT. They give her the direction!

Teddy Xidas works her ever loving BUTT off 24/7/365. She is out there in in a very visable and constructive way every day. She is on time, she is informative and she is organized. In all my years as a F/A, she is the very First one that has made her self totally available to the Flight Attendants at all times. We have received MORE informatin from her than from any past Union Officers. There is constantly information in the Crew Rooms as to what is going on with our Contracts, Management, etc.

I frankly am glad, SOMEONE, has some Emotion and True Feelings. It is About time. She Cares Deeply. She works on a shoestring Budget. Our Flight Attendant Numbers are down more than ever. She receives a little over $5.00 per F/A a month to run the Union Office.

And one thing further. Ms. Teddy Xidas likes to LISTEN also. What the Hell do you think she is doing?????

And further more UZO, she does represent us in the manner that we approve of.

Furthermore, I cannot believe this article was ever published. What was the point, other than to pit the Flight Attendants against one another. This sounds highly suspicious and I wouldn't doubt that Management is behind this somehow. :down: :angry:

The article was written in the spirit of demonstarting the difference in "cultures" of two cities and how they are represented.

It should not be taken out of context, even though reporters love to imply a certain idea by chopping up the sentences and words so they don't flow in the spirit it was said. I know this from my own experience. It the "nature of the beast".

All the Presidents represent a different culture or group of f/as with different priorities and mind sets. Union leaders are to reflect that culture as they are the representative and spokes person for their respective bases.

As you can see from the two Pres. of CLT and PIT. PHilosophies differ, culture differ, but when these two are at the table, the debate occurs and there is a meeting of the minds to formulate a consensus along with the other presidents to represent the majority.

This is the strucute, this is how it is accomplished. If we all thought the same, you would only need 1 representative.

That makes sense, Pitbull. Thanks. I do understand the cultural differences. Have witnessed it and experienced it. I on the other hand have always thought of all of us Flight Attendants as one entity. USAirways Flight Attendants all the way. With all of the constant Block chasing, transfers, displacements and past Base Closings, I look at all of us in the same "pot". :)

PITbull said:
a) Those who would rather listen are those who can't articulate a position clearly and defend it.
Those who articulate positions ostensibly representing people, while refusing to listen to the people they are supposed to represent, only represent themselves.

b)Those who don't know the issues before them, only can listen.
Those who do not listen don't necessarily know the issues.

c)Those who have never argued to save a job or a grievance, have no choice but to listen.
Those who have argued to save jobs or grievances aren't necessarily absolved of responsibility to listen.

d) those who are followers, listen.
Good leaders listen, too.

The difference isn't listening or not listening. It's knowing what to do with what you are hearing.

ktflyhome said:
Furthermore, I cannot believe this article was ever published. What was the point, other than to pit the Flight Attendants against one another. This sounds highly suspicious and I wouldn't doubt that Management is behind this somehow. :down: :angry:
It plainly shows the ineptitude in the leadership, given the thinking and behavior of nonqualified people. Hopefully new leadership will present itself shortly for everyone’s benefit.

mweiss said:
Those who articulate positions ostensibly representing people, while refusing to listen to the people they are supposed to represent, only represent themselves.

Those who do not listen don't necessarily know the issues.

Those who have argued to save jobs or grievances aren't necessarily absolved of responsibility to listen.

Good leaders listen, too.

The difference isn't listening or not listening. It's knowing what to do with what you are hearing.
Xidas is plainly overly emotional, making her irrational, and these personal issues shouldn't burden our company's future. Hopefully reason will prevail and she will be rightly replaced by a more levelheaded and rational leadership so we can move forward.

uza said:
It plainly shows the ineptitude in the leadership, given the thinking and behavior of nonqualified people. Hopefully new leadership will present itself shortly for everyone’s benefit.
And this is directly from the mouth of mangement.

Trust that managment does not want experienced leaders. They want "fresh faces" to brain wash and manipulate. They want them at the beginning of the "learning curve". LOL.... :lol:

Hey usa, what makes one qualified...one that thinks like you and give, give, give to save your senior exec butt.

You will see all of managmemt coming out now during the elections of PIT and CLT. They will make every attempt to get the PIT Pres. out of office and out of their way, in order to drag AFA to the table.

I can assure you a vote/survey for the members just happened on Friday...you missed it usa. The motion passed 5-0.

There will be a vote or survey FIRST, before there is any movement to look at any damn table. The members will decide if they want the contract open again. Your relationship with our group will directly effect the outcome of that vote. Than once there is a proposal should the members decide to open, than the members will vote again. You have two thresholds to cross over. And the PIT Pres. will be in office, no matter what the outcome of the elections are. Her term doesn't expire until July.

Eat your heart out.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe if i were anyone who owned the majority of a company, and this " women" came up to me and said what she said, I would not work with her anyway, anyhow, any shape or form. A true leader knows when to shut their mouth and when to open it. Hats off to her or anyone who will fight for what they believe in. however, To introduce herself that way is totally unprofessional, and how anyone , ANYONE could be proud of making a comment like that and figures they will have any type of respect is beyond me and many who she claims to represent. This would explain why now she isnt listened to by this management team. She only hurt herself in the long run, and was and is not taken seriously. Steve on the other side works his but off as well. He is def a proffsional compared to this. Ive always been told its about getting your foot in the door, she obviously got hers in,slammed and shut on. Now she is a lame duck as far as this team is concerned. Dont get me wrong, i believe she works hard, but in my eyes she lost all credility.