100 Years And Still Learning

Lrn2Fly

Apr 13, 2003
It's been over 100 years since the Wright Brothers risked their life trying to do something that others had failed in. They were the first to make a sustained flight in a motor powered aircraft, not the first to fly.

Can you imagine just how scared they were on that windy day in North Carolina? I still don't know where the knowledge to build it and fly it came from.
We owe these guys a lot and I'm sure they are tickled at what we have accomplished in a very short 100 years as they keep watch over their baby.

We are now a nation that wins wars with airplanes. We transport over 600,000,000 people yearly and the loss of life stays around 600 per year. Actually, your chances of losing your life in an aviation accident are 1 in a 1,000,000. One person out of every 400 in the U.S. can pilot an airplane. 99.8% of the population CANNOT.

We are a very special and tight knit group and I am extremely happy to be a small part of that community. I wish all of you smooth landings and tailwinds in everything you do in the coming year. If I can ever be of any service to you, just let me know. Jim Trusty ([email protected])

They had to be scared. Apparently Wilbur was quite nervous about flying it himself, fearing he'd die in the attempt. He managed to suck it up, though, and flew into history. He died at 45 from typhoid, leaving Orville to fight to insure the brothers' place in history as the first to fly. Quite a story.

BC

Back