12/22/02 US Airways News

PineyBob,
I'm very aware of what the Customer Service Agents go through.I worked counter and gates for about three years.They earn every cent that they're paid.I'm not going to say that the money is not important.Like everyone else,I've have a family to take care of and bills to pay.I don't think I'm underpaid,and I certainly don't think I'm overpaid.(Contrary to what Secretary of Transportation Mineta says)Like most of my co-workers,I'd just like to get up every morning with at least an inkling that I might have a job that day and that the folks at the top have some kind of clue what the line employees go through.Especially when we work short handed but are still expected to have on time departures.

PineyBob,
I'm very aware of what the Customer Service Agents go through.I worked counter and gates for about three years.They earn every cent that they're paid.I'm not going to say that the money is not important.Like everyone else,I've have a family to take care of and bills to pay.I don't think I'm underpaid,and I certainly don't think I'm overpaid.(Contrary to what Secretary of Transportation Mineta says)Like most of my co-workers,I'd just like to get up every morning with at least an inkling that I might have a job that day and that the folks at the top have some kind of clue what the line employees go through.Especially when we work short handed but are still expected to have on time departures.

Piney,

That is such an excellent idea! For a while, the flight attendant supervisors were supposed to take a "ride" once a month, just to see what life on the line was all about. They suited up in their uniforms and did the job just like the rest of us. Problem was, they got to chose what trips they would work. Of course, they chose the easiest trips on the schedule. After much complaining by the troops, they were forced to take trips from the bid sheet their senority would allow them to hold. I don't know what happened to the program, but it didn't seem to last very long.

I say, have the Exec's come out to PHL on a Thursday or Friday night, during a weather situation. Work the ticket counter, work RES, work the ramp, work OPS. Even let them get out on the planes and work a flight! And, make them travel in coach! Let them see how it feels to be on both ends of the stick. It could just revolutionize the industry!

Yeah, let's get Jerry Glass out there and see what it's like. Getting Ben Baldanza out there could be too dangerous. No doubt he'd start insulting pax and we'd have a situation. Or our cockroaches would recognise him...I don't want to have to do the paperwork for that one!

It's a great idea! Doubt it will ever happen though.

Piney,

That is such an excellent idea! For a while, the flight attendant supervisors were supposed to take a "ride" once a month, just to see what life on the line was all about. They suited up in their uniforms and did the job just like the rest of us. Problem was, they got to chose what trips they would work. Of course, they chose the easiest trips on the schedule. After much complaining by the troops, they were forced to take trips from the bid sheet their senority would allow them to hold. I don't know what happened to the program, but it didn't seem to last very long.

I say, have the Exec's come out to PHL on a Thursday or Friday night, during a weather situation. Work the ticket counter, work RES, work the ramp, work OPS. Even let them get out on the planes and work a flight! And, make them travel in coach! Let them see how it feels to be on both ends of the stick. It could just revolutionize the industry!

Yeah, let's get Jerry Glass out there and see what it's like. Getting Ben Baldanza out there could be too dangerous. No doubt he'd start insulting pax and we'd have a situation. Or our cockroaches would recognise him...I don't want to have to do the paperwork for that one!

It's a great idea! Doubt it will ever happen though.

PineyBob,
You hit the nail right on the head.You can be sure they'd never agree to it.Management's idea of doing Fleet Service Work is standing at the end of the belt loader pushing the emergency stop button.I could tell you stories...

PineyBob,
You hit the nail right on the head.You can be sure they'd never agree to it.Management's idea of doing Fleet Service Work is standing at the end of the belt loader pushing the emergency stop button.I could tell you stories...