120 temp for Phoenix on Tues

Toothy Grin

Advanced
Mar 31, 2008
Hello all,

I'm reading that Phoenix is expecting temperatures of 119 on Monday and I guess 120 degrees on Tuesday. I'm wondering if the airport will be closed due to these temperatures. I thought I'd ask you guys. I've not heard a word from the company, yet.

This has to be unsafe for ground personnel at a minimum.

Toothy Grin

Maybe that's why the company is downsizing the place. Excessive heat can screw ground equipment up. I remember many years back I was running up a 727 and it was so hot I barely reached take off power. Never made target epr.

I could swear there's a temperature threshold where operations stop regardless of whether a carrier wants them to or not. I could swear PHX shut down a few years ago because of it. Something to do with the integrity of the pavement? I want to say it's 122F.

Maybe someone that worked there remembers?

I could swear there's a temperature threshold where operations stop regardless of whether a carrier wants them to or not. I could swear PHX shut down a few years ago because of it. Something to do with the integrity of the pavement? I want to say it's 122F.

Flexible pavements definitely have issues at these higher temperatures. Often times on AC aprons you'll see PCC panels installed where the mains will rest to prevent them from sinking in. In PHX nearly all of the heavily used pavement is PCC for obvious reasons, so pavement integrity is rarely an issue.

I've have heard stories from when T3 at PHX still had an AC apron and the heavier aircraft (747s in particular) would supposedly leave tracks in the pavement as they taxied in. Presented a bit of a problem on pushback as the aircraft would want to track the same way it came in, and apparently a lot of pins were sheared.

The biggest issues I remember with the heat that would keep planes at the gate were bleed air and window overheats. Lots of standing around shooting water onto cockpit windows or blowing PC air over various parts of the aircraft. The weight restrictions were also outrageous at times; every once in a while we'd also have planned fuel stops to maximize payload. The A1-powered 320's seemed to be the worst offenders. I'm not sure how the 738's perform there now.

There was no official cut-off temp from what I recall. Worked through quite a few summers where we'd hit near 120F. That was the reported field temperature anyway...nothing like getting a 170F reading off the concrete.

Last edited:
IMG_0437.JPG
Hello all,

I'm reading that Phoenix is expecting temperatures of 119 on Monday and I guess 120 degrees on Tuesday. I'm wondering if the airport will be closed due to these temperatures. I thought I'd ask you guys. I've not heard a word from the company, yet.

This has to be unsafe for ground personnel at a minimum.

Toothy Grin

If you drink plenty of this, you will be ok! They can take it, they are tough.

Kev I am pretty sure the reason they couldn't fly if I remember was the aircraft takeoff performance charts had a 120 degree limit I can't remember if the aircraft manufacturers revised this I am pretty sure they did.

From what I recall, the biggest issue were the RJs which lacked leading edge slats, and PHX runways too short to gain enough ground speed to compensate for the thinner, hot air.

Pretty much confirms much of what I remembered...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...o-hot-phoenix-they-cant-fly-planes/410766001/

"According to a statement from American Airlines, the American Eagle regional flights use the Bombardier CRJ aircraft, which has a maximum operating temperature of 118 degrees...

Extreme heat affects a plane's ability to take off. Hot air is less dense than cold air, and the hotter the temperature, the more speed a plane needs to lift off. A runway might not be long enough to allow a plane to achieve the necessary extra speed. "

And here's more on the heat.

Nearly 50 flights canceled Tuesday as Phoenix nears 120-degree day

Saw on jetnet the deck hit 160 degrees and a black vinyl tug seat 205. I'd hate to sit down on that with shorts on.

Hot and high was a problem with the MD80's, and during the 80's & early 90's we'd take huge weight restrictions in the summer at PHX, LAS, ABQ, and TUS.

I seem to recall AA then got Douglas and PW to get the performance charts expanded so it wasn't as much of a problem.