18 year old F/A???

Status
Not open for further replies.

frntvngd

Aug 24, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Hey, Im 18, and want to be a F/A SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad. The only airline i have come across that hires at 18 is Colgan Air (USAirways Express), and they are currently hiring...BUT do I get a call back? Ofcourse not!
Someone shed some light on this for me...
Thanks. [;)]

So you got turned down. Why? If you really want the job, find out. Ask them what you can do to make yourself a better candidate in the future when you reapply.

A better Idea would be to get started on your education. Have something to fall back on. Right now there are thousands of flight attendants on layoffs. No matter what, you should always have a back up. In the event you change your mind later. You have soemthing to fall back on.

Go to school and by the time you are through, they will be hiring again. You will be able to get a job with one of the larger carriers.

Well, I just want a job anywhere in the industry--its my passion. I HAD a job with Vanguard as a CSA. Nobody is even hiring for CSA's right now...Ive applied everywhere and still am not getting any call backs for the CSA positions.

There are so many people out there that have so much more experience than I do, but dont have the personality and love for aviation as i do!

Anyways, Im gonna be going to school in January for airline management.

If i was 19, i would have a better chance (more regionals hire FA's at 19)

See if you can't get a job as a CSA with Comair at MCO airport, then when the time comes around you can try to hire on with inflight there. I would imagine that you would be required to move to CVG but since you applied at Colgan Airways that probably wouldn't be a problem for you. Comair is huge, they are expanding and most likely hiring. Turnover at the regionals is generally alot higher than at the majors, thus making hiring a rather constant thing.

havE you tried at AE..I think that you have to be 20 years old but you may want to double check..I was in the same position as you were when I started looking to be a flight attendant..At that time Eastern was 19 and so was Braniff...I interviewed with them both...and both offered me positions....good thing I waited until I was 20 and went to AA..otherwise I'd have been S O L....It will happen for you....meanwhile do something else that will benefit you in the field, time will fly, and soon so will you!

Why not get an education first and come back when the economy is doing better! Its not worth it to start with such a small commuter if your dream is to fly with the big boys![:)]

Comair is hiring. However, the MCO crew base is closing and hiring is in a state of flux for other positions (CSA), with respect to Orlando (MCO). I am not certain what the minimum age is for Comair flight attendants. One poster had it right saying the minimum age has to do with serving alcohol. That's 21 as far as I know, within the airline industry.

Getting your education is a good idea, regardless of when you are trying to get hired. More education usually gets one better results in the future.

Good luck!

frntvngd,
My best piece of advice to you now is go to school for a few years. You picked one of the worst times in the airline history to try to join the industry. I'm not even positive how many airlines would take someone at 18. Most have at least a 19 or 21 age requirement. It has to do with the fact we serve alcoholic beverages and most (if not all) states have a drinking age of 21 but I'm not sure about the age limit in different states to serve alcohol. Then you have the competition for the job. There are thousands of furloughed flight attendants out there looking for a job that can not only bring experience but age to the job. I'm not trying to discourage you, but trying to be honest. When the competition is strong, only the people with college degrees or those with a foreign language and at least a few years of college get the job. So go back to school for a few years and hopefully by that time things will be better in this industry. By all means keep up with the industry news so if airlines do start hiring, you'll be first in line. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your input, i really appreciate that [;)]

Comair hires at 21 (same as Delta), and American Eagle, Allegney, SkyWest, ASA, ACA, Chataqua (sp?), Mesa, and USAirways (Mainline), all hire at 19. AirTran, Southwest, and National hire at 20, and then all other majors hire at 21.

I know I am trying to get in at a horrible time, which is unfortunite. Right now I am planning on starting my airline management degree in January, and then applying at every single commuter/regional when I turn 19 in March [:)]

Thanks Again Everybody...

Oh, I also applied with that upstart, Blackstar Airlines http://www.blackstarairlines.com They are supposidly starting service domestic and internationally with 747-400's out of LAS...I know, I dont know how long a job would last there!!! Does anyone have any other info on Blackstar?

Blackstar Airlines? Sounds like a pipedream to me. I wouldn't put any eggs in that basket.

National Airlines and Southwest Airlines are both airlines that are looking for fresh faces and people. You might have a chance of being hired there, even if the current environment continues. What I know about both of them is that they are not that keen on hiring people on furlough from or with backgrounds at other airlines because they A) don't want to train someone only to have them leave to go back to their airline and B) find it difficult to "untrain" them from their old airline habits. National is in a bit of a precarious situation right now but if they are still around when you turn 20 then give them a shot. Good luck!!!

frntvngd,

From AOL News, Kansas City

Hooters Offer for Airline Could Come Soon

The owner of Hooters could make an offer on Vanguard Airlines by the beginning of next week. Vanguard filed for bankruptcy in July and laid off more than one thousand local workers. Attorneys for both Vanguard and Hooters were in federal bankruptcy court Wednesday to discuss a possible sale. Hooters CEO Robert Brooks has agreed to advance the airline enough money to keep a staff of about 30 people. A judge told both companies they had until mid-September to come up with a feasibility study for a sale. Vanguard CEO Scott ****son says if Brooks offers to buy the bankrupt airline, the judge could order an auction so other potential buyers can also make a bid.

See you at Gate Seventeen Alpha

I am actually a furloughed gate agent for VNGD. I found out very early on that NJ would be coming back...Hooters was in MCI 2 days after the shutdown (Aug. 3).

NY hires F/A's at 21, so i have no chance there.

Thanks for the info tho

Even though the airlines say they will hire out of High School, the majority of the carriers prefer someone who has at least two years of college under their belt. It is also a plus to speak another language. If you do not, now is the time to learn. Wait until the airlines are in the recovery stage, and then seek out the ones that will be hiring.
Interviewing: A little BS never hurts in the interview. A) The reason why I want to work for your company is because when I was a kid your airline was the first airline that my father/mother took me on and your airline frankly I have always considered the best.
B) Never say that you love to fly and you love people. Come up with something a little bit more ingenious. The reason why they do not want to hear these lines, are because eventually you will learn to hate to be on a airplane (especially if you are a commuter,) and frankly, people will occasionally get on your nerves. Does not matter what job you are in, it happens everywhere. Example; a salesperson who hears once a day...Oh I never wore these jeans, yet the jeans smell of cigarette smoke and have ketchup on the lower right pant leg. Right. On the airplane one example would be... They told me outside that you could give me an upgrade once the doors were closed, or the infamous, oh; I always bring this onboard the aircraft as hand luggage. Then there are the ones that do not know what a seatbelt sign is, and are oblivious to crew member instructions, yet they are a CEO of a company and make 8 times your salary. So what I am trying to say, is to come up with something a bit more creative, but realistic.
If it is your goal in life to serve the public, being a flight attendant is one of the best jobs that you could ever have. It pays well, and you will find that your days off are really your own. No work to take home, and nobody calling you from work on your days off.
My advice to you is to go to college, find another job in the service industry for the experience, and enjoy yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.