1st of 4 NW a/c will have new livery by 12/13/08

BABABOOY

Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
I understand that the first NW747 will arrive in ATL on 12/13
and soon to be followed by A320/757/DC9 the next day.
The narrow bodies are out of Greenville Miss (GLH) and the 747
is arriving form VCV. Can anyone on the NW side confirm that
these a/c are in vcv and GLH ? It will be strange to see a DC 9 again
in Delta livery and I was too young to see the origional 747 in
Delta colors ;-)

Too bad they are not painted by DL in ATL.
Starting off with outsourcing sucks.
I also wish we could do all the painting inhouse. I think they are already painting at full capacity right now. In the past we have outsourced paint lines. I do remember being told by a painter that it is considerably cheaper to paint inhouse. He also said they are limited as to the volume of paint they can shoot in ATL on a yearly basis by the GA EPD.

Too bad they are not painted by DL in ATL.
Starting off with outsourcing sucks.

Hey, we agree on something! Who knew?

I also wish we could do all the painting inhouse. I think they are already painting at full capacity right now. In the past we have outsourced paint lines. I do remember being told by a painter that it is considerably cheaper to paint inhouse. He also said they are limited as to the volume of paint they can shoot in ATL on a yearly basis by the GA EPD.

I saw your comment about limiting the volume, but do you have any idea how many planes they're able to do annually?

I saw your comment about limiting the volume, but do you have any idea how many planes they're able to do annually?

Delta has always out-sourced "SOME" of the paint work, they do not have the facility or man-power to keep up with all the paint jobs, though they've hired new painters with-in the last month and get overtime ! :shock:

Get the facts straight !

I believe that these two facilities (VCV,GLH) were usued because NorthWest
had previous contracts with them.

I believe that these two facilities (VCV,GLH) were usued because NorthWest
had previous contracts with them.
that seems to make sense to me...wouldnt a bay in ATL be needed for routine maintenance?(there are a lot of planes to paint)

I am curiously awaiting how the 744 will appear in the new livery(its a little sad to me seeing the brand go away and exciting to see how stunning the aircraft will be at the same time)..

I wonder if the interior of the 744 will receive an upgrade as well before being positioned on the new routes? while the upper deck and business class are quite nice(the new seats and entertainment), coach needs to be updated(the 330 coach is quite modern).

all of business class will be the same International(seats) I imagine after a year or so..

There are usually two aircraft in paint at any given time in ATL. So given it takes 5-6 days to paint that works out to about 120 per year. Most times they tend to roll a new one in as soon as the bay is empty, but sometimes there is a gap so the count has to be lower, say 110. Also not all of those are DL aircraft. We painted most of the DHL 767 and there are usually a few other contracts that come in each year. This weekend when I go into work I'll try to look up how many we did in 2008.

As for using the paint bays for regular mtc. It happens all the time. There are three paint bays. One fits up to 757, another fits up to MD11, and the third will fit a 744. Since only two are used at a time, the other is used by base mtc. They would rotate around depending on what was being sprayed or for bay mtc. When I was working in base mtc we would typically use the largest bay for mtc. It will fit three narrow bodies for work.

There are usually two aircraft in paint at any given time in ATL. So given it takes 5-6 days to paint that works out to about 120 per year. Most times they tend to roll a new one in as soon as the bay is empty, but sometimes there is a gap so the count has to be lower, say 110. Also not all of those are DL aircraft. We painted most of the DHL 767 and there are usually a few other contracts that come in each year. This weekend when I go into work I'll try to look up how many we did in 2008.

As for using the paint bays for regular mtc. It happens all the time. There are three paint bays. One fits up to 757, another fits up to MD11, and the third will fit a 744. Since only two are used at a time, the other is used by base mtc. They would rotate around depending on what was being sprayed or for bay mtc. When I was working in base mtc we would typically use the largest bay for mtc. It will fit three narrow bodies for work.

I was in bay 12 99-00 days. Did we happen to cross paths?

How far did you get your paper airplane to fly from the top of the lift. :)

Delta has always out-sourced "SOME" of the paint work, they do not have the facility or man-power to keep up with all the paint jobs, though they've hired new painters with-in the last month and get overtime ! :shock:

Get the facts straight !

Explain how my stance on outsourcing being a bad thing is incorrect. Thanks.

As Tech2101 says, "please continue to post."

Excellent info. Thanks!

I find this to be a very interesting subject to read, it is amazing to me how this process is basically done in a matter of days with a professional result. Thank you.

could it be the fact its not really outsourcing but for the fact so many aircraft will need to be painted. the former brand is attempted to be absorbed as soon as relatively possible(taking into consideration how many aircraft are needed to be painted at this time) and once that is completed, regular/routine maintenance regarding painting is done in house going forward?

Now we are even. 1 for 1.

Not sure about EPA regs ,In bays 11+12 they can strip,sand,paint an AC in 3-5 days the maint. involved with paint is usualy rudder and/or aileron removal/reinstall ,static wicks,windshield wipers ,and regular checks.
Most of the maint. can be done outside of the paint bays.
Bay 10 is a paint bay seldom used for paint but is used for large AC (777).

Our painters are awesome and can knock it out in no time.

The 747 is finished. Anyone see the pictures? It looks really nice.
Not sure how to post a picture on here.

Explain how my stance on outsourcing being a bad thing is incorrect. Thanks.

As Tech2101 says, "please continue to post."

Excellent info. Thanks!

Lets see if you can take off your union-blinders for a second and comprehend this from a business point of view !

Business A can only paint 110 aircraft in a years time, because of facility and man-power limitations , but Company A needs 220 aircraft painted this year.................so Company A hires Company B to paint 110 aircraft !

Did that help you ? :blink: