review of the September staffing levels they have decided
to rescind the planned involuntary furlough of 20 ACTIVE
flight attendants that were due to be furloughed September
4, 2003. Approximately 18 applied for voluntary furlough
and will be awarded such. In total, approximately 90
active and inactive flight attendant furloughs will
be rescinded. The list will be available tomorrow,
August 19, 2003. It is expected that those saved will
be displaced to LGA if not already based there.
====================
Reserve mediation will continue in Crystal City on
Tuesday, August 19. As soon as details become available
we will let you know.

There is an extreme shortage of pilots too. The last 2 days of July saw about 200 flights canceled for this reason. Already this month there have been a high number of cancellations because of the pilot shortage. And to alleviate this the company is attempting to circumnavigate the contract by assigning pilots to trips out of seniority and not allowing other pilots to take trips they are contractually entitled to in order to protect trips that would otherwise have to be cancelled. Already there are nearly 300 grievances and more are being filed daily. It is outrageous what this management is doing after what we agreed to do to save this company. They are squandering our good will. our good work. and our financing.

Once again, this "leadership" is putting buckets under the leaky roof rather than putting new shingles on. I am amazed at the incompetence of the operational skill of Seigel and his team. If someone had told me this was what was going to happen just 1 year ago I would not have believed it. But it is happening. What, as employees, can we do about it?

First, adhere to the contracts we negotiated in good faith. That is moral and ethical and the law. Just because they don't doesn't mean we don't. Dave cannot run this airline to a profit with the game plan he is executing. And sooner or later Bronner will be fed up with the incompetence. With our representation on the BOD and our unique insight into the reasons for the downward spiral of morale, contract violations, lack of revenue production, customer complaints, terrible on time performance, flight cancellations, etc (I could go on for an hour) we will be able to prove to Bronner and his BOD members just how inept this man is. When that happens, we will bring in someone who knows how to RUN an airline.

All we need to do is our jobs. His brainless management will manifest itself. It is already happening. I just hope we don't run out of cash before Bronner realizes what he got himself into with Dave Seigel.

mr

Bob:

"Can the company hang on long enough financially to get to the day when true leadership emerges?" That is the 1 billion dollar question. I figure we have about 1 year to find new leadership and operational expertise. That would leave enough cash to put a new and viable plan into action without more borrowing. But then again, he may NOT want to run a profitable airline. There may be a different plan. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I find in very hard to imagine a man with the expertise he has shown financially not able to find someone who knows how to run an airline. He may very well be executing a plan that would have us split up with assets sold to others. Are we worth more as we are or as a bunch of assets on the open market? That is a possibility. It would explain the operational moves he has made.

"The actions taken on the customer side and internally seem to be acts of desparation designed to allow the company to survive. To hopefully live to fight another day." I disagree that his actions are designed to allow us to survive. Losing customers and alienating employees don't allow companies to survive. Quite the opposite. Those actions are far more than trying to generate revenue and cut costs. He has cut the very core of our company and our strengths. And that spells liquidation and asset sale to me. Or else he is totally inept and incapable of operating this company at this time. It seems to me it has to be one or the other. I see no middle ground.

I'm off to Dublin this afternoon. Full over and full back. But as our leader has told us recently: "A full flight does not neccesarily mean making money." So I'm off to help USAirways lose some more. But at least I'll enjoy what I do for now. He can't take that away from us.

mr

With the mess the entire industry finds itself in, I have to wonder how much our "pieces" are actually worth. Previously, it was thought the shuttle and slots in LGA and DCA were our most valuable assets. That being said, shuttle loads are not as great as they once were, and does anyone not really think that the Feds would reposess the LGA and DCA slots and reallocate them via lottery shoudl RSA decide to sell to the highest bidder?

I smell a merger or some other plan. I don't know what it is or how it will occur but I think you guys are on the right track. Something is UP....all signs point to it.
As the engines turn.....

<_<

USAirBoy:

USAirBoy said: "I smell a merger or some other plan. I don't know what it is or how it will occur but I think you guys are on the right track. Something is UP....all signs point to it. As the engines turn..."

Chip comments: Do not be surprised if US Airways is involved in a corporate transaction before the holidays and is the surviving business entity.

Best regards,

Chip

4thofjuly-1_e0.gif

Chip,

How could that be if the company continues to alienate itself from the labor unions and communities we serve? Wouldn't the company need employee backing of such transactions?

Mark

Ok, I guess it's unanimous. Everyone that reads these boards think that something is "up." Of course, we're all probably 'text-book' cases of obsessed, internet readers and suffering from 'group-think.' In three months, we'll probably all agree that something big DID happen, but none of us will be able to agree on what it was! ;)

I have to think that current U management has stopped investing in its brand identity. However, my limited experience with UAL is that they are increasing investment with its brand, including increased television ads. Of course, it helps that their planes are clean and well maintained.

I'm sure there are reasons why Siegel hasn't gotten back to PA on their proposal, and I would venture to say that there may be opportunities westward and that U may need PIT even less than it does now. If something in terms of a corporate transaction does occur, whether we are the surviving entity or not, it doesn't look good for PIT, which probably would be the first casualty. I agree that the signs point to something being up... but then again the signs have pointed in that direction since 9/11. The only difference since we emerged from C-11 is the likelihood that we would be dominant in such a scenario. Things just seem eerily quite in Arlington. :ph34r:

;) Just like it was right before we all woke up and turned on the TV in May 2000 too learn that UNITED was buying USAirways. Yes,...very quiet indeed.
We wouls be the buyer?...oh please. Yeah so we can buy the gates, routes, slots, equipment and people. Then we can systematically dismantle the entire thing. Huuum...sounds very familiar.

The corporate transaction theory with US being the surviving entity is all well and good, but what effect will it have on labor in terms of morale?

Not to mention what is it going to cost? You go into a new market with little or no brand awareness,you are going to have to pony up Beau Coup bucks on advertising to put the brand in the public eye.

Look no futher than AA for a shining example of what not to do in terms of employee integration.

Obviously having the same unions on the property with certain departments will help in some aspects, but it is still going to be a minefield,regardless of how it is handled.

It's a slippery slope,Good Luck.

Chip Munn said:
Chip comments: Do not be surprised if US Airways is involved in a corporate transaction before the holidays and is the surviving business entity.

Best regards,

Chip
Chip, i have to say that i would believe in kosher hogs or heavenly devils before i would believe that the powers that be at US Airways are thinking of some major growth under the US Airways banner.