20 Cuts In Pittsburgh

Just curious. I noticed that most of the cities mentioned are served by US Airways' commuter affiliates. Does U save much imoney discontinuing service by it's commuter affiliate or partners?

richb624 said:
Just curious. I noticed that most of the cities mentioned are served by US Airways' commuter affiliates. Does U save much imoney discontinuing service by it's commuter affiliate or partners?
[post="167951"][/post]​

US pays for *all* of the regional jets, and the wholly-owned turboprops. US doesn't pay for the affiliate turboprops, which is why the affiliate turboprop carriers make their own decisions as to cities served, schedules, and the like.

Well, it's not like CLE, CAK, or SCE were any big shock given that probably 99+% of that traffic was connecting. PWM's a bit of a surprise to me since they kept several routes which are far more dependent on connecting traffic (BUF, SYR, ROC, ERI, AVP, MDT, etc.). I'm still surprised they pulled out of PIT-IAH, which is PIT's #15 market, and PIT-MCI, which is #25 and has no non-stop competition.

It's unclear to me if CAK and/or GRR are leaving the system as of November 7, since each has only one non-PIT flight as of then -- but perhaps they'll get additional flights to PHL and/or CLT.

Aside from the transatlantic cuts, I think the number of PIT-area passengers affected will be pretty minimal since even PWM only had a bit over 30 passengers each way per day. The big hit will show up in the mainline cuts (and turnovers to Midatlantic/Express) which probably won't be announced as loudly. It wouldn't surprise me to see everything east of DFW and not in the top 10 from PIT go to all-MDA/Express if the airline survives.

ClueByFour said:
And more than likely, bye-bye Bayer.
[post="167925"][/post]​

While Bayer may be a good source of revenue for US on the PIT-FRA Bayer Bus in Envoy it's apparently not enough to support the flight. Or, more specifically, US *thinks* it can better utilize that A-330 to another destination on the Continent. We'll see.

As I indicated before the announcement, the Pittsburgh to Frankfurt and London service will have the aircraft dedicated to this service transferred to Philadelphia, where US Airways plans new service this spring to Star Alliance hubs.

Moreover, as I previously reported, yesterday Bruce Lakefield confirmed at the ALPA mneeting in "open session" that if the company enters banrkputcy, the A330 leases could be rejected because of their expensive heavy maintenance due this winter. This move could permit the company to pull down a heavy maintenace track that would force additional mechanic furloughs, and preserve cash flow during the slower winter months.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Maybe "Uncle Ed" was right after all - "US Air (at that time) will be a predominately narrow-body domestic airline".

Jim

Separately, I know the company has looked at continues to look at B767-200s that could be obtained on the cheap.

The issue is not that US Airways does not want A330s nor that they will not obtain them in the future, it's strictly a cash flow option if the company is forced to complete its Transformation Plan via imposition during a "judical restructuring." However, another savings would be realized by shuttind down a widebody miantenace track and to exert "more pain".

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Separately, I know the company has looked at continues to look at B767-200s that could be obtained on the cheap.

The issue is not that US Airways does not want A330s nor that they will not obtain them in the future, it's strictly a cash flow option if the company is forced to complete its Transformation Plan via imposition during a "judical restructuring." However, another savings would be realized by shuttind down a widebody miantenace track and to exert "more pain".

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="167984"][/post]​

Didn't I read elsewhere that the 767-200's that can be had on the cheap all have major maintenance due on them? Trade one "need maintenance" for another? Perhaps a lease where maintenence is required by the lease to be done in Alabama (or some other third world location)?

basically the ch11 would be for lakefield to get rid of the maintaince personall while he fills his pockets with the dough from their paychecks. boy does he have a lot of nerve

US Airways announced today that, as part of its
Transformation Plan, it will discontinue nonstop
service from Pittsburgh on 20 routes operated either
by US Airways or US Airways' wholly owned and
affiliate Express carriers, beginning in November.
Nonetheless, the company will keep nonstop service to
more than 50 markets, in particular 28 of the top 30
markets, and will remain the airport's largest
carrier.

The full details of the fall schedule, which still are
being developed, will be available in early September.
However, the following routes will be discontinued
from Pittsburgh beginning Nov. 7: Akron-Canton, Ohio;
Binghamton, N.Y.; Burlington, Vt.; Charlottesville,
Va.; Columbia, S.C.; Elmira, N.Y.; Frankfurt; Grand
Rapids, Mich., Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.; Ithaca,
N.Y.; Lexington, Ky.; London (Gatwick); Lynchburg,
Va.; Montreal; Ottawa; Portland, Maine; Roanoke, Va.;
State College, Pa.; Tri Cities, Tenn.; Williamsport,
Pa.

Additionally, further cuts are possible on the US
Airways Express network since the independently owned
affiliate carriers still are finalizing their
schedules. Between July and October, US Airways and US
Airways Express discontinued nonstop service between
Pittsburgh and Beckley, Bluefield, and Huntington,
W.Va.; Evansville, Fort Wayne and South Bend, Ind.;
Cleveland; Houston (George Bush Intercontinental);
Latrobe and Reading, Pa.; Kansas City, Mo.; Memphis,
Tenn.; Milwaukee; Minneapolis; and Toledo, Ohio.

Latest posts