2000 UA Pilots GONE!

Sep 5, 2002
Read this in todays online Chicago Tribune. See link below (hope it works).
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...Dbusiness%2Dhed
In summary, UA will furlough about 2,000 pilots once they implement their bankruptcy plan. In addition, it appears that some of the survivors will take a unspecified pay cut. If implemented, how far back does this go in terms of pilot class dates?
What a difference a couple years make (C2K).
FF

word out of JFK is 4000!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 2:45:39 PM BottomFeeder wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 1:44:12 PM retread wrote:

Those lazy pilots only fly 36 hours a month. I wish I could make 1 mil a year and only work that little. They most likely get all the girls to!, or boys.These ANAL- list sure have it all figured out.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't reply to RETREAD he just wants to stir the pot. Misserable board person.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I guess sarcasm is lost on you?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 1:44:12 PM retread wrote:

Those lazy pilots only fly 36 hours a month. I wish I could make 1 mil a year and only work that little. They most likely get all the girls to!, or boys.These ANAL- list sure have it all figured out.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't reply to RETREAD he just wants to stir the pot. Misserable board person.

All I can say is that ALPA better be ready to fight this one HARD! From what I read in Paul Whiteford's e-mail, the company seems to want to move A/C and routes to a new subsidiary with different empoyees. That's totally unacceptable! There is no reason that we can't come to an agreement to keep the flying and the employees under one roof.

Delta is doing it with their "Song" and not even asking for a lower payscale from the pilots. They say they are going to lower cost through maximum utilization. Interesting enough, there was a recent news article about Jazz, Air Canada's low cost airline. They are currently profitlable and also are using mainline pilots at mainline pay rates. Several months ago Delta sent executives to A/C to check out their formula for success. Looks like Delta thinks it's a good model and are taking hints from A/C. You would think that Tilton and UA would also look to our STAR parnter for advice. With 29% cost advantage from the pilots alone, plus some work rule changes, max aircraft utilization, cost savings from other employee groups, and maybe a few work rule changes, it seems like there's no reason It couldn't be done successfully within United.

Well, this should get very interesting very fast. I agree with 767Jetz--the flying for the LCC (U2?) should be done by current employees, ala Song. I am sure ALPA and the company can agree on some work rule changes to make it all work.

This would likely mitigate a good number of the projected layoffs from the current pilot ranks, and would smooth over (at least temporarily) relations between ALPA and the company. Isn't labor peace worth that?

To my good friends at UA I send my best wishes, and hopes that this all works out in your favor.

Bottomfeeder,

It was a joke. I happen to be a pilot. Most people realize we fly more than 36 hours. However, the Tribune stated that as fact. Seems the only pot I stir is yours.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 4:27:05 PM 767jetz wrote:

All I can say is that ALPA better be ready to fight this one HARD! From what I read in Paul Whiteford's e-mail, the company seems to want to move A/C and routes to a new subsidiary with different empoyees. That's totally unacceptable! There is no reason that we can't come to an agreement to keep the flying and the employees under one roof.

Delta is doing it with their "Song" and not even asking for a lower payscale from the pilots. They say they are going to lower cost through maximum utilization. Interesting enough, there was a recent news article about Jazz, Air Canada's low cost airline. They are currently profitlable and also are using mainline pilots at mainline pay rates. Several months ago Delta sent executives to A/C to check out their formula for success. Looks like Delta thinks it's a good model and are taking hints from A/C. You would think that Tilton and UA would also look to our STAR parnter for advice. With 29% cost advantage from the pilots alone, plus some work rule changes, max aircraft utilization, cost savings from other employee groups, and maybe a few work rule changes, it seems like there's no reason It couldn't be done successfully within United.
----------------
[/blockquote]

At least your union will fight hard. The IAM will let the company do what they want. UAL as we know it is gone for ever. This is payback for wanting to earn a decent living. Good luck. We all need it.

Is UAL management ever going to learn to collaborate? With the employees?

I guess we're still just liabilities. Meanwhile, it appears to be the same ole song and dance at EXO.

Was Tilton ever for real? Have the leftovers at EXO jaded the guy already?

This royally sucks.

Rewind / Play
Again Management it is now time to manage, this is no real shock to me as I have said all along UA managment says to the media "We have to be competitive with Southwest" when they really meant to say in bankruptcy court that they meant Air Tran,Jet Blue,American Trans Air,etc.With the current paycuts and 75% of there proposed ERPs they are more than competitive with Southwest, here are the key words COMPANY WIDE except maybe in management ? I dont know there deal except they on average took half the paycut I took plus they want supposed KEY employees to get over 100 million divided out so we dont lose the individuals

I'm not gonna pipe in with my opinion because I really don't have a right - i'm just a customer.

Nothing is official, nothing has been agreed to, nothing has been approved.

You all have years and years of experience watching management and your unions wrangle back and forth. Both side posture, posture, posture.

It's not over - let the negotiations begin in earnest.

Good luck to you all. Hang in there. And - as always - thanks for serice second to none.