2004 Airport Domestic O & D Data

Pacemaker

Senior
Sep 3, 2002
2004 was the most recent data I could find; this info is courtesy the DOT. Note that the data show only total pax and do not allow for calculation of yield.

Rankings, O & D passengers (millions)

1. LAX 31.5
2. LAS 30.3
3. ORD 26.5
4. MCO 25.5
5. ATL 25.4
6. PHX 22.4
7. LGA 21.6
8. DFW 20.2
9. DEN 19.3
10. BOS 19.1
11. SEA 18.9
12. FLL 17.6
13. EWR 17.6
14. JFK 16.3
15. SFO 16.1
16. BWI 15.7
17. PHL 15.3
18. TPA 15.0
19. SAN 14.8
20. MSP 14.3
21. DTW 14.1
22. OAK 12.8
23. MDW 12.5
24. DCA 12.1
25. IAH 11.5
26. HNL 11.0
27. PDX 10.3
28. STL 9.6
29. SJC 9.5
30. SLC 9.4

Where oh where is PIT??? :blink: :huh: :shock: :eek: :(
In all fairnes to PIT, let's not forget that post 9/11 Management decided to gradually reduce the flying out of THE LARGEST HUB and tried their half-ass*d attempt to NOT schedule any flights after 6pm on a couple days a week (ridiculous). Throw in the fact that many of the Midwest markets were literally ABANDONED. PIT didn't work because THEY didn't want it to work. Even "IF" the figures to operate out of PIT were noncompetitive, why were flights reduced and smaller a/c positioned there to make the HUB ineffective? Last I checked, an airline is in the business of Customer Service- forcing people in the entire Eastern quadrant to connect thru PHL (as opposed to using PIT or another location for relief) is ludicrous. Many customers were burned by The PHILLY Factor one time too many and said NO WAY, NO HOW to PHL and essentially US in the process. This whole argument is ridiculous. In a nutshell, the airline screwed not only the City, the customer and ITSELF with such a stupid move. :down:

In all fairnes to PIT, let's not forget that post 9/11 Management decided to gradually reduce the flying out of THE LARGEST HUB and tried their half-ass*d attempt to NOT schedule any flights after 6pm on a couple days a week (ridiculous). Throw in the fact that many of the Midwest markets were literally ABANDONED. PIT didn't work because THEY didn't want it to work. Even "IF" the figures to operate out of PIT were noncompetitive, why were flights reduced and smaller a/c positioned there to make the HUB ineffective? Last I checked, an airline is in the business of Customer Service- forcing people in the entire Eastern quadrant to connect thru PHL (as opposed to using PIT or another location for relief) is ludicrous. Many customers were burned by The PHILLY Factor one time too many and said NO WAY, NO HOW to PHL and essentially US in the process. This whole argument is ridiculous. In a nutshell, the airline screwed not only the City, the customer and ITSELF with such a stupid move. :down:

This is a sheet of O&D numbers. So all of these connecting passengers that you are talking about would not be counted in this chart. And the fact that PIT is not on there basically tells you why there is majorly reduced service.

The fact of the matter is, it is more profitable to have a PHL-to wherever flight with 35% of the flight either starting or ending their trip in Philadelphia (O&D/Local traffic) than having a PIT-to wherever with 10% of the traffic on the plane starting or ending their flight in Pittsburgh.

Yes....PIT is a million times better as a facility....but airlines are in the business of making money....not running a charity operation. They force people now to connect through Philly.....but each plane is carrying less connecting passengers than the same flight/plane operating out of PIT.

Yes....PIT is a million times better as a facility....but airlines are in the business of making money....not running a charity operation. They force people now to connect through Philly.....but each plane is carrying less connecting passengers than the same flight/plane operating out of PIT.

Thats because we're misconnecting them AGAIN because the flight is running late! :shock:
Just 1 PHL canx and 2 delays with misconx today. Joy joy. (It was at least maint today and not ATC/weather.)
Since its obvious that PHL WILL BE the connecting city for US (domestic NE and INTL) the least we can do is schedule conx that are reasonable. There is NO WAY that someone can come in to A and leave from F and make it in 35 mins unless things run perfect, and how many of those days do we have?

Hey! I think you are on to something. BTW, welcome to the boards......now, on to what your post inspired...

Check out this idea: If a majority of not only employees but also passengers agree that PIT is a better facility and they would rather fly through PIT than PHL, why not add a convenience charge to the ticket price? You charge an extra $50-$100, or whatever you can get away with without getting a fist in the face, and the passenger gets to connect through a better operated airport with fewer issues than PHL. Sounds goofy? Consider this scenario:

Mr. Shirt & Tie Guy: "I need to get to a meeting in STL tomorrow morning from GSP, but I hate connecting through PHL. Last time, I was delayed four hours and my boss wanted my head served up on a platter with mint jelly. Can you get me a flight through PIT?"

Reservation Girl: "Absolutely! But it will cost you a bit extra to connect through PIT. You know how quickly they move planes through there, don't you?"

S&TG: "I don't really mind. The company is picking up the tab on this one."

RG: "Okay then, sir. The PHL connection is only $600, but PIT will run you $800. Are you sure you wouldn't want the lower fare?"

S&TG: "Lemme see......potential four hour delay again, or excellent chance I'll make it on time...hmm......better book me through PIT."

Why not try something like that and see if it works or not? Even if an idea seems ridiculous on the surface, sometimes it refines other ideas that are even better than the one suggested.

It's called brainstorming. It's a lost art, and the best way to do it is to apply one's self when you're in the position to make changes. (That's a sly hint, Tempe beer worshippers)

Don't delay! Start today!

Good idea, but with US planes and cabin services, this shirt and tie guy is connecting through DTW on NW or ATl on DL.

I am not going to pay more on US than the competitors to have the privilidge of flying through PIT. I now fly on another carrier, for better on time performance, and better service.

Good idea, but with US planes and cabin services, this shirt and tie guy is connecting through DTW on NW or ATl on DL.

I am not going to pay more on US than the competitors to have the privilidge of flying through PIT. I now fly on another carrier, for better on time performance, and better service.

I agree with you. I just figured that if I threw that idea out there, someone else might improve upon it.

I have no idea if enplanements and Origin and destination traffic means the same thing nor do I care very much, but I do remember reading that CLT ranked in the top 10 for domestic enplanements in May. I don't know if this will help the discussion but here is some information that I could find about CLT and about it's Enplaned passengers.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070817/1508370.html?.v=1

http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2007/bts...7.html#table_12

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/carriers.asp

Enplanements refer to people boarding an airplane at a particular airport. It includes originating and connecting passengers. O & D traffic is a better measure of the strength of a market as it refers to passengers who either begin or end their trip at a specific airport. Weak hubs like CLT, or PIT in its heyday, can appear very busy and create a false sense of prosperity when in reality most of the people you see are just passing through.

Latest posts