2014 Mechanics T/A Contract Vote

AMFAinMIAMI

Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Miami, Fl.
As the day to participate in your ratification or rejection of the IAM/USAirways T/A approaches I hope that those of you who will get involved are attempting to educate the rest of the mechanics what is at stake either way.

However the vote comes out I hope that it is what all of you want. It's up to you not any of the AA guys who have said to vote one way or the other. Not the IAM as well tell you that its the best they could of gotten and to Vote "YES" either. Accept this if you feel it is the right thing or reject it because you feel that you deserve more.

Read the T/A and see how it will effect you NOW and in the future. We at AA as a group did not do that so the apathy that has plagued our class and craft has hurt us all.

From what I have heard and read the voting is set up that many will have to go to the Lodge on days off to cast a ballot. It is important that all get involved don't let the few dictate your future.

Get involved and Vote.

Good Luck.

Voting takes place Friday the 18th......Funny how there are no absentee ballots, voting in person only, no electronic, and its one day only on a Friday during one of the busiest vacation periods.  Was told that if you do not vote its not considered a yes......Just hoping the majority get out and vote to show we at least care......Pretty sad state of affairs anymore...

Very sad that the IAM recommends a YES vote.
The IAM is running the vote and only one day to vote and you must show up in person.
Not to jump the gun but regardless of the actual votes casted somehow this will pass.
The IAM and the company want this to pass. The IAM said that this is a stepping stone to a better contract in the future. Is this a new way to negotiate contracts? Baby steps towards what? 5 years at a time until you reach what goal? This voting process is so easy to manipulate. How sad.

FYI, Somebody questioned the fact that in the update booklet we were given, the pay rates had a line struck through them...We were told they did not have the time to get them in the the booklet...anyway its now four days before the election and the pay rates for all classifications can now be found on IAM142.org....

AP Tech said:
Voting takes place Friday the 18th......Funny how there are no absentee ballots, voting in person only, no electronic, and its one day only on a Friday during one of the busiest vacation periods.  Was told that if you do not vote its not considered a yes......Just hoping the majority get out and vote to show we at least care......Pretty sad state of affairs anymore...
If this is all true, not saying it isn't, just completely shocked if it is really set up this way, then it is extremely obvious that it is set up, by the union, working with the company to get this to pass.  Pathetic to see a union operate this way.  First the TWU and now the IAM.  No absentee ballots, vote "in person" only, no electronic votes accepted, and ONLY for one freakin day, during one of the busiest times members are off on vacations?  Incredible and pathetic actions by any union.  AMFA always gives us min 2 weeks and max usually a full month, including electronic votes as well as options to write in for extra ballot if members did not receive theirs by a certain date.  It seems they are forcing the issue in order to get it to pass or there are some hidden language or missing information purposely left out and they will fill in the blanks as they (IAM and company) wish at a later date just like they did at AA with the TWU.  Too many games being played here by your union and company, just another reason to vote this down, there is obviously some kind of agenda that will come out later.  Never have I seen an election for a Sec 6 contract handled this way,  NEVER.  Red flags are all over this, hope the membership can see this.  Just hope plenty of NO voters will participate and vote accordingly.  Something that took years to compile, they (IAM and company) expect a vote by, what, 4-5000 people to be done in one day.---PATHETIC!!!  Smells fishy to me...

There has never been absentee ballots for CBAS for non-Flight Attendants, in my 20 years in the IAM.

And I ram several contract votes in CLT, as far back as 92 till 2005, for ramp, Mechanic and Related, MTS and a few others like Lockheed and Ronson. And I can tell you there was always a high turnout.

Reactions: 1 person
And we were told that this contract will take effect the 21st...two days after the election "IF" it passes...Guessing the company wants this vote on the fast track and told this to the IAM. Never saw an update sheet and expected vote with no pay scale...."didn't have time"??? Sorry 700, just because its been done this way for 20 years does not make it right...time to upgrade to the electronic age, of course that way its a little tougher to get the results you wish.

Reactions: 3 people
Every station had a meeting about the TA, and the pay rates were available online, and at the meetings. Also if you take the top out rate and multiply it by the percentage of increase, you get the new pay rates. Its not rocket science. Come up with something else.

Update on the 142 site was the 14th...first time I saw them in print.  Sorry I just don't believe in taking someone's word. I like to see it in print....And I sat through the meeting

Besides the ability to look it up on an IAM web site Your shop stewards should have it in Print.

They should be showing it to all the members so that they will understand what is at stake.

If they are not, then I would suspect that they are hiding some thing. Get a copy and look at the T/A.

Force the IAM reps no matter what position they have to show you the differences and what is good/Bad.

700UW has said he would vote "NO". He was/is a IAM supporter.

He (700UW) is also not elligable to vote, read before you vote, it's your families future and Yours...

Just curious 700, if you were still an active member and could vote on this contract, you stated you would have voted "No"....Just wondered why?  My reasons for voting "No" is it seems to me the IAM did not properly address the economic issues, we are not currently in BK and after all this time they have negotiated a sub standard contract.  All they have succeeded in doing is driving a wedge between the different groups...

700UW said:
There has never been absentee ballots for CBAS for non-Flight Attendants, in my 20 years in the IAM.
Why not?  Other unions offer it.  But most concerning is WHY is it only for a day or two and WHY is it "in person" only?  Answer that pls sir...

The Ratification Vote is structured according to the bylaws of the district. It has been this way for my past 6 Contracts..... There is no spin here. The info has been put to the membership in a timely manner now they get to vote. It's a simple majority of those that cast a ballot.

This is not a great contract, but there is no loss in any area of the contract. We are not giving up ANYTHING!

For a toped out mechanic it's $492.00 a month increase by Sept 12 2014.

Read the tentative agreement. Talk to your union reps and make an informed decision.

This is one step in a long journey we have ahead of us!