2015 AMT Discussion

1AA said:
That was before NAFTA.
Not really, AA has mechs doing work in S America by AA mechs thus circumventing the scope because they are AA mechs (not part of the twu) all happening today.

Reactions: 1 person
bigjets said:
How many AA mechs does AA have in GRU and EZE?

Looks like the less DFW does the more work MIA and GRU gets. I remember when the 767 and 777 heavy checks were outsourced from AFW, those mechs were saying nobody can replace the work we do, let's all focus less on arrogance and more on getting the job done. As skilled as we are, we can all be replaced. MSP DTW use to have AA mechs now they don't and AA still flys to those stations. AA WILL find a way to fly its schedule.

The silent majority agree with me, it's the loud who get heard though. Unfortunately we are all tainted by that.
Do you have an axe to grind with Dallas, seems you always have something to say about how little we do. Are you in Dallas management?

Do you have some methodology your using to track our production?

DallasConehead said:
Do you have an axe to grind with Dallas, seems you always have something to say about how little we do. Are you in Dallas management?

Do you have some methodology your using to track our production?
How many B checks and interior checks have left dfw over the past few years? i feel bad for the mechs that want to move back to Texas, but can't because AA is moving the work where it's getting done, in and out of the country. It does show how weak dfw management is for not taking control of their station.

I know there are really good mechs there who are just beaten down by a combination of weak leadership, union and management, along with all the guys who complain all day who are just miserable to be around. We have guys in Chicago Like that also, but the difference is nobody wants to transfer here.

Unfortunately I think it's arrogance of being high seniority and being at stations that are important hubs, plus being union members so it's a lot harder to get fired. Kind of like how Tulsa use to feel I'm sure. If I'm not mistaken Dallas has a similar cost of living as Tulsa, so they have had better then most.

Reactions: 4 people
Its called MAPS and the inability of management to manage then blaming THEIR failings on the workforce.

Reactions: 2 people
bigjets said:
How many B checks and interior checks have left dfw over the past few years? i feel bad for the mechs that want to move back to Texas, but can't because AA is moving the work where it's getting done, in and out of the country. It does show how weak dfw management is for not taking control of their station.

I know there are really good mechs there who are just beaten down by a combination of weak leadership, union and management, along with all the guys who complain all day who are just miserable to be around. We have guys in Chicago Like that also, but the difference is nobody wants to transfer here.

Unfortunately I think it's arrogance of being high seniority and being at stations that are important hubs, plus being union members so it's a lot harder to get fired. Kind of like how Tulsa use to feel I'm sure. If I'm not mistaken Dallas has a similar cost of living as Tulsa, so they have had better then most.

Did I miss something?  Did we get our pay and benefits restored recently?  What's all this talk about being a hero for?  You evidently don't know all the facts about why checks left DFW.  None of it had to do with quality of work.  When I hear guys complain, there is usually a valid reason for it.  This station bashing is pointless, and a management tool.  Don't get sucked into the BS.  DFW management getting control of the station?  That is whole other story.  The AMTs pretty much run the station despite management's best efforts to hinder the operation.  Like taking away our transportation, or banning driving in the hangar.  Oh, but we got rubber chocks now!  The list goes on and on.  Seniority is what it is, there is no arrogance.  What is your interest about management's ability to fire people?  I've seen them walk out more than a few of their own, just in the last year.  BTW, Dallas' cost of living is quite a bit higher than Tulsa's.  It used to be fairly reasonable, well now times have changed.  Houses sell in a matter of weeks, often in just days.  While there is no income tax, if you own a house, your property taxes will pretty much offset any advantage you might have had.

bigjets said:
Wow.

You are the best tool management could ask for.

Sometimes remaining silent is the best option...for a whole host of reasons. Pick one and you are probably correct.

Reactions: 2 people
iluvaa said:
Buck on a personal note your avionics guys are a bunch of whiners getting the supervisor involved Saturday because the systems guys tried to work around there functionals
Well there was nearly a Systems mechanic caught in a flight control earlier this year. Perhaps safety is a bad thing. Why don't you tell them?

Buck said:
Well there was nearly a Systems mechanic caught in a flight control earlier this year. Perhaps safety is a bad thing. Why don't you tell them?
One thing I noticed between 3&4 vs 5&6. On 5&6 anytime before hydraulics were activated, apu running, pressure check, flight control movements etc.. The crew would announce it twice via PA, spotters around the A/C and one spotter with a bullhorn repeating actions repeated from the PA. In 3&4 nothing is usually announced concerning A/C. Just barely visible light trees. Seen a guy get a concussion on 3C because he was hit by the horizontal because no announcement. I've been kicked around by the rudder do to no announcement. Been blown away on the RH side of the MD80 by apu exhaust. Seen some almost cut in two on the 80 TRs because they weren't locked out and no announcement of movement. We've learned to duck, run and avoid everything on an 80 when it spools up cause we never know who is in the cockpit.

BigMac said:
One thing I noticed between 3&4 vs 5&6. On 5&6 anytime before hydraulics were activated, apu running, pressure check, flight control movements etc.. The crew would announce it twice via PA, spotters around the A/C and one spotter with a bullhorn repeating actions repeated from the PA. In 3&4 nothing is usually announced concerning A/C. Just barely visible light trees. Seen a guy get a concussion on 3C because he was hit by the horizontal because no announcement. I've been kicked around by the rudder do to no announcement. Been blown away on the RH side of the MD80 by apu exhaust. Seen some almost cut in two on the 80 TRs because they weren't locked out and no announcement of movement. We've learned to duck, run and avoid everything on an 80 when it spools up cause we never know who is in the cockpit.
Holy Smokes!!  Sounds like we need to work on some safety procedures up there,,, geeez. Thems there firin offences in other stations which will go un-named.

anyway, Happy Thanksgiving boys.

We all really do have a lot to be thankful for, family, friends and home things that really matter in our short lives.

Reactions: 1 person
16 years experience and over 1000 posts. I'll try not to be too condescending on my very first post. This is to you "Iluvaa".
I am one of the "Avionics Whiners". Your post states that "the systems guys tried to work around THERE (their) functionals (avionics functionals)"
First of all, functionals, means just that. Hydraulics will be on, and those big flight control thingies ( sorry, condescending huh?) will be moving. Probably not the safest time to be hanging canoe fairings or putting on fillet panels, or any kind of work near them.
Second of all, our functionals include tests that initiate (here it comes....) UNCOMMANDED MOTION OF FLIGHT CONTROLS (that means the arrowplane is doin it all by its lonesome).
Exchange between avionics and flatheads (systems, I was one for a few years myself)
Me: Hey guys, we're doing an UNCOMMANDED FLIGHT CONTROL CHECK, please stay clear of the flight controls.
Flathead: well, just let us know when they're going to move, and we'll get out of the way.
Me: flight deck, shut off hydraulics, and please standby.....................it's gonna be a while.

As for involving the supervisor, this was the 3rd occasion that this scenario had taken place, but not to worry, the supervisor was completely on your side, in letting you put yourselves in harms way, and work next to live UNCOMMANDED flight controls. That is until that pesky little word "Safety" came up. After a bit of shouting back and forth, it was determined that maybe Safety should be the number one priority.
So I'm very sorry you had to "stand by" for a bit, and got your feels bruised a bit, but in the 27 plus years I've been here, I've seen some pretty scary close calls. I'd rather not have any, At least on my watch anyway.
Now, after my bit of fun time rant, I really do have respect for my fellow workers, and don't want anyone to get hurt. If you want to refer to it as whining, I can live with that.
Peace, out.

Reactions: 6 people
As previously announced, on December 3rd, 2015, the TWU-IAM Association will
officially open negotiations with American Airlines and begin bargaining a joint
contract for the 30,000 ground workers at the world’s largest airline. We understand
that many of you are anxious to get to the table and we thank you for your
patience. Your representatives have worked tirelessly and carefully to ensure that
we enter into joint bargaining from a position of strength. We’re prepared and
we’re ready to fight to secure the best possible contracts for Association members,
including better wages, benefits, working conditions and retirement security.
The Association will communicate transparently with you throughout this process,
and we will work together, as one united organization, to put the members’ needs
first and to change the way the airline industry does business once and for all.
To that end, we’d like you to know that we’ve put the best, strongest negotiating
team in place to represent you. Below, you’ll find the names and locations for all of
the bargaining team members, whose expertise and experience will be critical as
we begin working through proposals with the company.
Mechanic and Related/Stores Negotiations Committee:
Jason Best, Local 514      Mike Bush, Local 591      Ken Coley, CLT
John Coveny, PIT            Dale Danker, Local 514   Mark Huffman, CLT
Bennie Martino, PHL     Gary Peterson, Local 591 Larrry Pike, Local 567
Sean Ryan, CLT               Jay Sleeman, DFW            Mark Strength, PHX
Fleet Service Negotiations Committee:
Mark Baskett, CLT            Mike Fairbanks, CLT          Pete Hogan, Local 510
Tim Hughes, Local 507    Mike Mayes, Local 505      Steve Miller, BOS
Brian Oyer, Local 513        Pat Rezler, PHX                  Art Risley, Local 529
Andre Sutton, Local 502   Rodney Walker, BDL         Bill Wilson, PHL
This team will be supported by the skills, knowledge and resources of two of the
most experienced and successful airline unions in North America, the TWU and
the IAM.
In the coming weeks, we’ll continue to provide updates on negotiations and other
important information. We’d appreciate your continued feedback and look forward
to moving forward with this dedicated and experienced team in place.
In solidarity,
Sito Pantoja and Harry Lombardo
TWU-IAM Association Chair and Vice Chair
- See more at: http://www.usaamerger.com/2015/11/30/association-to-open-american-airlines-negotiations-on-thursday-for-30000-ground-workers/#sthash.VNZgJCnt.dpuf

Latest posts