2020 Earnings/Losses

So, as we are probably the best suited airline ready to handle this crisis and hopefully get thru it with no layoffs. Praying that we do not lose one single employee to layoffs, rifs or any kind of involuntary separation.
It was actually nice to read this article this morning and see just how well SWA has been ran by our upper, upper leaders. financially we have some greater options available to SWA that alot of other airlines do not have if needed. Hopefully we won't have to get any further into the savings route after Oct.
I would like to add, if any employee is able and willing to take part of this voluntary leave options, please do so. It will help greatly later on if Oct does get uglier or remains as ugly as it is now thru end of year. Remember back in the 90's folks when all us employees helped out our co. with employees purchasing fuel for the aircraft to help out? This leave options are the same thing, it will help our company out greatly in the future. So anyone that can, please do so. Way out your options, seek unemployment, seek out a different part time job or full time job to help the offset, as I have been hearing a number of businesses advertising they are hiring big time here in the North Tx areas during this COVID-19 crisis.
Remember, stay safe, stay healthy, and stay strong, we will get thru all this in time, so it's really just a matter of setting ourselves up to get us thru the time of it. So we all hope this is getting back to a workable load BEFORE the end of this year.
Pilots and F/A's; Start demanding the company make the mask or face coverings "MANDATORY" to fly Southwest Airlines, otherwise they do not fly. SWA needs to also give up the middle seats for better separation. Remember this is all temporary, and we will be the best airline prepared to come out of it the best. Good luck to all and thanks to all SWA employees for all you guys do to help our company survive and get thru this.

Here's that referenced article I read this morn.:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwest-hunkers-down-more-financial-210014454.html

Reactions: SharoninSAT
So, as we are probably the best suited airline ready to handle this crisis and hopefully get thru it with no layoffs. Praying that we do not lose one single employee to layoffs, rifs or any kind of involuntary separation.
It was actually nice to read this article this morning and see just how well SWA has been ran by our upper, upper leaders. financially we have some greater options available to SWA that alot of other airlines do not have if needed. Hopefully we won't have to get any further into the savings route after Oct.
I would like to add, if any employee is able and willing to take part of this voluntary leave options, please do so. It will help greatly later on if Oct does get uglier or remains as ugly as it is now thru end of year. Remember back in the 90's folks when all us employees helped out our co. with employees purchasing fuel for the aircraft to help out? This leave options are the same thing, it will help our company out greatly in the future. So anyone that can, please do so. Way out your options, seek unemployment, seek out a different part time job or full time job to help the offset, as I have been hearing a number of businesses advertising they are hiring big time here in the North Tx areas during this COVID-19 crisis.
Remember, stay safe, stay healthy, and stay strong, we will get thru all this in time, so it's really just a matter of setting ourselves up to get us thru the time of it. So we all hope this is getting back to a workable load BEFORE the end of this year.
Pilots and F/A's; Start demanding the company make the mask or face coverings "MANDATORY" to fly Southwest Airlines, otherwise they do not fly. SWA needs to also give up the middle seats for better separation. Remember this is all temporary, and we will be the best airline prepared to come out of it the best. Good luck to all and thanks to all SWA employees for all you guys do to help our company survive and get thru this.

Here's that referenced article I read this morn.:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwest-hunkers-down-more-financial-210014454.html
I normally don’t comment on these forums just like to see what’s out there.
Could not let this one go without at least an observation from my perspective.
In a few weeks I will have 40 years in this industry and I don’t want to be disrespectful but am I in the minority when I read this from someone who has been beating the AMFA drum on the AA forum for years? Wanting AA AMTs to switch unions for the betterment of their livelihood. No issues with that suggestion but now you are begging fellow employees to take a leave of absence if they can???(“ It will help the COMPANY out greatly in the future”)
Sound like a company man now.... Which is it?

I don't see any contradiction. It's not about helping "the company" as much as it is helping out the guys at the bottom of the seniority list. The cuts *are* coming, and the junior folks may wind up being out for years.

If you're fed up, leave. Someone else wants to keep their job more than you do.

If you're on the verge of retiring, think about whether or not you could move that up a few months. Someone else needs that job and those couple months without pay and benefits could be catastrophic to them.

I normally don’t comment on these forums just like to see what’s out there.
Could not let this one go without at least an observation from my perspective.
In a few weeks I will have 40 years in this industry and I don’t want to be disrespectful but am I in the minority when I read this from someone who has been beating the AMFA drum on the AA forum for years? Wanting AA AMTs to switch unions for the betterment of their livelihood. No issues with that suggestion but now you are begging fellow employees to take a leave of absence if they can???(“ It will help the COMPANY out greatly in the future”)
Sound like a company man now.... Which is it?
First and foremost, I want my company to be successful. Never would I want it to ever fail. And YES! Absolutely, if anyone can take the leave, I hope they will so to, and yes again, help out the company. Now you ask why? Well, very simple. The more that take it now will possibly stem off possible layoffs later IF the industry does not come back quick enough.
If you really have read ALL my postings you would know I am for everyone NOT just myself. I am far from an IGM'er. I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs, period. So not so much a company man as you are indicating, but guess what? If there is no company there is no jobs, hellooooo...

First and foremost, I want my company to be successful. Never would I want it to ever fail. And YES! Absolutely, if anyone can take the leave, I hope they will so to, and yes again, help out the company. Now you ask why? Well, very simple. The more that take it now will possibly stem off possible layoffs later IF the industry does not come back quick enough.
If you really have read ALL my postings you would know I am for everyone NOT just myself. I am far from an IGM'er. I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs, period. So not so much a company man as you are indicating, but guess what? If there is no company there is no jobs, hellooooo...

" If there is no company, there is no jobs / helloooo "

swamt, rarely do i disagree with you, BUT on this I do.

First, 'No company, No jobs' is a true statement, However, there is a level of 'middle ground' here, not talked about, and that being if WN has to Shrink big time, does not mean that it will go BK !!!!! Back in the early 80's, I saw AA get anorexic.
I agree with Eolesen. Let people take LOA's if they WANT TO. Let people early retire IF THEY Want to, and in both cases, WITHOUT ANY GUILTY Feelings, Period !!!! As a mid level to Senior seniority Union Man, NEVER EVER give back one Penny of your hourly wage that took MANY,MANY contracts to achieve. Occupational Seniority is 'joined at the hip' to your hourly wage. IF WN shrinks BIG, well Shite happens and Junior people are the first to GO. I find it very interesting that company's like DL and WN always go for the 'guilt factor' when times get bad, but you'll be hard pressed to see AA or UA even bother to that route ! Then the answer is WHY they/AA+UA/ don't ??? !!!

I've wondered for quite some time why DL and WN are successful in their own ways and UA and AA are not. I just figured it out...... CULTURE.

I've wondered for quite some time why DL and WN are successful in their own ways and UA and AA are not. I just figured it out...... CULTURE.
Bingo! And, the culture was not what you might expect. I think it was Herb Kelleher, who was credited with founding WN once said, 'We make money by taking care of our employees who then take care of our customers, and they have been true to that philosophy. When people around me want to put down Southwest, I point out that 17 straight quarters without a loss has never been duplicated in the airline business. (Nor will it ever.) Then ask yourself, have you ever met an unhappy WN employee? I haven't.

CORRECTION!! "17 straight quarters without a loss" should have been "17 straight years without a quarterly loss" Hey now. I was a flight attendant. Paid to be cute, not smart. While you are there, add the fact that SWA was and (I think) is the most unionized airline in the industry.

Last edited:

'Culture' has 2 different definitions.
One of them, " South of the Border " (M/D line)
And
The Other NORTH of the Border !

There are innovative ways to help a Junior(seniority) employee, such as donating vacation time, just to name one way.

Ah, this is a moot point anyway(for WN). The TWU told WN, DO NOT Come 'hat-in-hand' looking for any give backs, since it took us YEARS for you dick-heads to FINALLY agree to a contract !

Give and Take, cuts BOTH ways !!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER,EVER Give Back your wages, OR your 40 hours per week !!

Hit the nail on the head...

'Culture' has 2 different definitions.
One of them, " South of the Border " (M/D line)
And
The Other NORTH of the Border !

There are innovative ways to help a Junior(seniority) employee, such as donating vacation time, just to name one way.

Ah, this is a moot point anyway(for WN). The TWU told WN, DO NOT Come 'hat-in-hand' looking for any give backs, since it took us YEARS for you dick-heads to FINALLY agree to a contract !

Give and Take, cuts BOTH ways !!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER,EVER Give Back your wages, OR your 40 hours per week !!
AMFA was the first union to respond to the company that our contract was not open for nego's when the co. was asking for concessions. The TWU did also follow along and said no to concessions as well as the Pilots did the same. Probably expect the same request come Oct. if the airlines are not gaining ground yet.