2nd Quarter ( $$$$$$ )

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Ok kiddies, put your thinkin' caps on.

With the 2nd Qtr just concluded, lets try and "rate" the NON-LCC's by earnings.

(From the following carriers.......AA-AS-CO-DL-NW-UA-US/HP. US/HP as one)

I'll give it a shot .

1. AS (possible profit)
2. AA (possible profit)
3. CO
4. NW
5. US/HP (US still in BK)
6. UA (UA still in BK)
7. DL ( HUGE $$$ Loss)

"Fire Away Boys/girls" !!!

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
With the 2nd Qtr just concluded, lets try and "rate" the NON-LCC's by earnings.

(From the following carriers.......AA-AS-CO-DL-NW-UA-US/HP. US/HP as one)

I'll give it a shot .

1. AS (possible profit)
2. AA (possible profit)
3. CO
4. NW
5. US/HP (US still in BK)
6. UA (UA still in BK)
7. DL ( HUGE $$$ Loss)

[post="279762"][/post]​

AS may literally make a dollar, everyone else on your list will post a loss.

You can thank the oil speculators worrying about heating oil supplies in Q4 half way through Q2 for that.

"OH MY GOD....A CAMEL FARTED IN KUWAIT!!! There will not be enough crude for Q4 home heating oil needs in the US this winter!!"

You can also thank the NIMBY crowd for the fact there hasnt been any new refinery capacity built in this country since 1976.

Oil speculators should be dragged out of their beds and beaten on their front lawns in front of their neighbors,families and friends.

LGA -
While I agree with you on the insane impact that the speculators are having - by many estimates it's at least $10/bbl - I disagree w/ you about the refinery problem.

The people to blame for the lack of new refineries in this country are the oil companies, plain and simple. Yes, the NIMBY crowd and the environmentalists come out on this issue, but there are plenty of places where refineries could be built with fairly limited opposition if the oil giants actually wanted to do it. The most recent suggestion came from the president - old military bases.

The real problem is that they simply don't want to do it. Over the past couple of decades, oil companies have simply chosen to expand existing refineries rather than build new ones because it's much cheaper. The oil companies fear building new refineries and then watching prices fall. It's in their interests to watch prices go up to nearly as high as the market will bear...and that's exactly what they're doing.

LGA Fleet Service said:
You can also thank the NIMBY crowd for the fact there hasnt been any new refinery capacity built in this country since 1976.

Oil speculators should be dragged out of their beds and beaten on their front lawns in front of their neighbors,families and friends.
[post="279768"][/post]​

Two Points...

First, quit blaming the NIMBY crowds for the fact that there have been no refineries built in the U.S. since 1976. You need to blame the oil companies for CLOSING a number of refineries in the late 80's and early 90's during the first round of mergers and acquisitions, calling them "excess capacity."

Also, it is the oil companies themselves who are resisting building additional refineries. They don't want to build any more refineries until the government and the public come to their senses and allow them to build refineries the good old-fashioned way--with absolutely no air, water, and ground pollution controls whatsoever.

Point Deux:
I don't hear you raving about the other commodity speculators. A lot of this economy is based upon the commodity markets--not just oil, but wheat, soybeans, and (god forbid) pork bellies as well. If you want to see a shortage of oil, eliminate the oil traders. A lot of supply would disappear from the market because the producers would be unable to know what the return would be for delivery more than a few days out. And, ultimately it is not the oil traders who control the market. It is the producers. We are at the mercy of OPEC and others because we made the decision that we didn't care that massive SUVs got horrendous gas mileage or that cooling our homes in the summer down to Nanook of the North temperatures and making them broiler hot in the winter would have a price attached. We are simply reaping the crop we sowed.

jimntx said:
First, quit blaming the NIMBY crowds for the fact that there have been no refineries built in the U.S. since 1976. You need to blame the oil companies for CLOSING a number of refineries in the late 80's and early 90's during the first round of mergers and acquisitions, calling them "excess capacity."

Also, it is the oil companies themselves who are resisting building additional refineries. They don't want to build any more refineries until the government and the public come to their senses and allow them to build refineries the good old-fashioned way--with absolutely no air, water, and ground pollution controls whatsoever.

[post="279781"][/post]​

I'll grant you that point, the oil companies are more than happy with the status quo and arent about to do anything to change it.Obviously a refinery isnt something that is built in a year, but one would think they could grow revenue long term by bringing additional capacity online.

jimntx said:
Point Deux:
I don't hear you raving about the other commodity speculators. A lot of this economy is based upon the commodity markets--not just oil, but wheat, soybeans, and (god forbid) pork bellies as well.
[post="279781"][/post]​

Other commodity speculators aren't have a direct impact on the lives of so many people now are they?

The FCOJ guys arent getting face time on CNBC,the soybean guys at Goldman Sachs dont get quoted all over the place when they predict a "Super Spike" do they?

From FedEx to Midwest Express to the soccer mom in the minivan, everyone with an engine that runs on petroleum products is taking it in the shorts.