328JETs as RJ''s?

funguy2

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Maybe... But I am not sure if anyone is building them anymore. Didn't Fairchild-Dornier have financial problems and close up shop? Also, I think US wants 50 seaters, not 32 seaters... If Fairchild is still around maybe the 428JET program makes sense? Maybe they are closer to 50 seaters. In any case, my bet is that U sticks with ERJs since all of their Express carriers who fly RJs fly ERJs. Just my guess though.

they don't make the dornier jets anymore because the performance numbers never met what was promised. The 328 is almost as fast and a lot cheaper to operate.

Fairchild-Dornier jets are the Fokkers of the future -- I hope US doesn't go with them.

All these points are valid. FaiDor went bankrupt and every potential owner took a whiff and promptly backed away. As such, parts are going to get hard to come by in a few years.

The 328JET apparently is a rocket on take-off but a real dud en route. The 328 turbo is probably nearly as fast.

----------------

my bet is that U sticks with ERJs since all of their Express carriers who fly RJs fly ERJs.
----------------

Well, almost. Mesa still has a few CRJ's in the Airways system.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 6:09:29 PM

they don't make the dornier jets anymore because the performance numbers never met what was promised. The 328 is almost as fast and a lot cheaper to operate.
----------------

Wow--like a miniature Convair 990...[:bigsmile:]

----------------
On 8/21/2002 5:53:11 PM

If Fairchild is still around maybe the 428JET program makes sense?
----------------

Fairchild-Dornier is going the way of the dodo bird, it seems. And long before they went into bankruptcy, they canned the 428 program, which, I think, led to legal action by YX, as Skyway had ordered a bunch of them.

The 328JET apparently is a rocket on take-off but a real dud en route. The 328 turbo is probably nearly as fast.

From a passenger standpoint, the 328 Jet is far nicer than the ERJ/CRJ. I flew one on ACA from TRI to CVG and FWIW, we arrived 20 minutes early. But I think 32 passengers would be downsizing a bit too much.

I was also going to say that, from a pax standpoint, the 328Jet is BY FAR the nicest aircraft I have had the opportunity to travel on. The CRJs are nice, but the capacity and intended routes are totally different. It would have filled its niche very nicely at ACA for UAX as a replacement for the J41s. I don't know about performance numbers, but from a pax perspective, they are a great replacement for some of the smaller turboprops.

I love the comparison of the CV-990 to the Dornier...Speed is great , but function and economics killed off the Convair 880 and 990's too. The CRJ would be the primo choice!!. The Canadair design is hardy and proven. The ERJ's are only slightly easier to support than a Dornier-Fairchild product...The Fokkers were killing us...and eating away at AA too. A failed manufacturer..is one bad thing to deal with. A failed manufacturer from europe , only compounds the problem X 10. People..our aircrafts daily needs (parts)..DO NOT drop like pennies from heaven. You have to be able to support the product ..after you buy it!! Un-less you can afford to let it sit? ,which We obviously can't afford that. Remember the issue of Lessors. ,They have played a big role in the reason for the Chapter 11 filing. The Fokkers are a classic example of that. Consider any aircraft we buy or lease as a big hungry beast. You either feed it?...or it eats you!!! [;)]

----------------
On 8/22/2002 11:55:17 AM

I was also going to say that, from a pax standpoint, the 328Jet is BY FAR the nicest aircraft I have had the opportunity to travel on... It would have filled its niche very nicely at ACA for UAX as a replacement for the J41s. I don't know about performance numbers, but from a pax perspective, they are a great replacement for some of the smaller turboprops.
----------------

I totally agree. I've been on the 328JET three times, the CRJ a few times, and the EMB-135/145 a bunch of times -- and by far the most comfortable was the 328JET. It's a shame FaiDor couldn't keep it together.