$400,000,0000 Divided By 3,500 Pilots

The savings target may be $114,000 per pilot, but if productivity is the answer then it may not all come out of the paycheck.

For example, if a pilot makes $125,000 per year in salary/benefits and flies 50 hours in a month currently but starts flying 75 hours in the future and still makes $125,000 then the effective cost to US Airways would go from $208 per hour to $138 per hour for one pilot hour.

When the competition has this type of productivity it is easy to see why this situation must change.

They can't make it more productive. If they could, they would have already. They are not competent enough nor have the business model to do it. What they want is 20 hard workdays a month (mostly sitting around waiting to fly or be reassigned), Captains at a flat rate of $80k a year, FO's at $45, and a 401k for retirement. There's not much blood to drain from other employee groups. ALPA and US Air are probably going to drill a hole through the bottom of the proverbial professional barrel. I'm sure ALPA is willing to fight to the last IAM or CWA person.

More Facts and Less Emotion said:
For example, if a pilot makes $125,000 per year in salary/benefits and flies 50 hours in a month currently but starts flying 75 hours in the future and still makes $125,000 then the effective cost to US Airways would go from $208 per hour to $138 per hour for one pilot hour.
Nice job. You NAILED it. The sad problem is U pilots are not flying enough. Someone very close to me (guess!) is currently only getting about 40 hours a month as a short call 737 Capt. He gets paid for 76 hours. Imagine if he could actually FLY that other 36 hours. I can assure you he does want to do that! Good job. Greeter.

Furloughedagain said:
I understood LOA 91 was not going to cost pilots $$$$.

Well, not WORKING pilots.

It's going to cost furloughed pilots jobs.
Today it was annouced the 85 EMB170 order will be reduced to 70....as I understand it republic will pick up 13-15 of these airplanes. They will be flown as a United commuter out of dulles. Wasnt the whole idea of loa91 to keep the airplanes flown in the us network.

The ALPA participation will be the America West contract. Most of the pilot changes will be in the area of work rules to permit the company to increase its aircraft utilization by 15% from 10 to 11.5 hours per day.

At last week's Labot Advisory Council meeting, US Airways chief executive officer Bruce Lakefield emphasized that fairness would be a key part of the upcoming negotiations, saying that "one employee's group cannot subsidize another's uncompetitiveness, nor can employees subsidize waste or mistakes made by management."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Given the targets demanded, Lakefield's going to demand less than a HP contract, especially considering that even the most junior pilot at U is now at top HP pay scale.

"one employee's group cannot subsidize another's uncompetitiveness, nor can employees subsidize waste or mistakes made by management."

I guess that they're really sincere . . . . this time . . . . . or was it last time or the time before.

Does the contract currently prevent the company from increasing utilization? Increase duty hours does nothing if the schedule doesn't make full use of it....

Walmartgreeter said:
Nice job. You NAILED it. The sad problem is U pilots are not flying enough. Someone very close to me (guess!) is currently only getting about 40 hours a month as a short call 737 Capt. He gets paid for 76 hours. Imagine if he could actually FLY that other 36 hours. I can assure you he does want to do that! Good job. Greeter.
What happens when all of your short call reserves time out by the 20th of the month? I guess you just start cancelling flights. There are reasons for having reserves such as: sick calls, a ferry flight an extra-section or an equipment sub, or bad weather.

USA320Pilot said:
The ALPA participation will be the America West contract. Most of the pilot changes will be in the area of work rules to permit the company to increase its aircraft utilization by 15% from 10 to 11.5 hours per day.

At last week's Labot Advisory Council meeting, US Airways chief executive officer Bruce Lakefield emphasized that fairness would be a key part of the upcoming negotiations, saying that "one employee's group cannot subsidize another's uncompetitiveness, nor can employees subsidize waste or mistakes made by management."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Since pilots have no alternative to further their profession I believe they would vote in just about anything. But considering other groups, you really should look beyond negotiations since the outcome appears clear. Are you a stockholder?

regards,

And the pilots are the only ones who will actually gain from concessions.

Who gets more jobs if the so called 60 airplanes are added?

Who gets the opportunity to move from right seat to left seat which is a pay raise?

Who gets the chance to move up to bigger equipment and get paid more?

USA320Pilot said:
It's not Lakefield's decision to make. Because the pilots have a greater fear of future "after-U" job considerations clearly does not mean that all workgroups do (as evidenced by LOA 91 and the pilots going from calling for management's head to endorsing a new management with exactly the same plan).

ALPA and the company can issue press releases until both are blue in the face, but I think you are going to find that the other union groups will not be nearly as willing to give everything just to hold onto a seat for a few more months/years.

Clue:

Bruce Lakefield emphasized a t last week's Labot Advisory Council meetingthat fairness would be a key part of the upcoming negotiations, saying that "one employee's group cannot subsidize another's uncompetitiveness, nor can employees subsidize waste or mistakes made by management."

Clue said: "ALPA and the company can issue press releases until both are blue in the face, but I think you are going to find that the other union groups will not be nearly as willing to give everything just to hold onto a seat for a few more months/years."

USA320Pilot comments: Last week in a SEC filing US Airways said it is considering all available options, including another "judicial restructuring." The key word is restructuring and not a liquidation, therefore, when David Bronner recently told labor leaders in a conference call the company will move forward "with or without employees" it appears the company is fully prepared to file a S.1113 motion to void labor contracts once in bankruptcy. Thus, it may not matter what labor does and it may be in the best interests of the employees to reach consensual accords before any union Counsel faces the bankruptcy judge.

Clue, each labor group has to decide what's in the best interests of its members and be prepared for the consequences.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot