$400,000 Award to Passenger Mistaken for a Terrorist

TWAnr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[Excerpts]

In what’s being hailed as a landmark post-9/11 verdict, a Boston jury has ordered American Airlines [AMR] to pay a computer consultant $400,000 for suspecting him of being a Middle Eastern terrorist.

“They thought they could walk into that courtroom and say, ‘Security! Security!’ and make themselves above the law. The jury said they couldn’t,â€￾ John Cerqueira, 39, born in Portugal and raised in Fall River, said yesterday from his home in Miami.

Boston Gobe

Very sad. :(

So now the Crew, should ignore any indications or feelings they have that something may be wrong and just let the next suspect fly?

So now the Crew, should ignore any indications or feelings they have that something may be wrong and just let the next suspect fly?

Yes, that would be nice. Buy ticket, receive air transportation. What a concept.

Cerqueira - who was released after two hours of questioning, but refused alternative travel accommodations by American - said his seatmates were “loudâ€￾ and slipping in and out of English, but, “I had never met them before. All I did was go to the bathroom, use my computer and fall asleep.â€￾

“I do realize Sept. 11 weighs hard on our consciences and everyone is interested in better safe than sorry,â€￾ Cerqueira said, “but if they had just put me on another plane, none of this would have happened.â€￾

Perhaps if they would have had some sort of proof to support their suspicions? I seem to recall something in one of my Constitutional law classes about innocent until proven guilty. Maybe that was a different country we were studding at the time. I always get that confused.

At 400,000 a pop how many of these indications or feelings can we afford?

We now know there were no true indications and the feelings seem to be based on fear or anger. Both of which will always result in a flawed out come.

At 400,000 a pop how many of these indications or feelings can we afford?

We now know there were no true indications and the feelings seem to be based on fear or anger. Both of which will always result in a flawed out come.

Exactly.

If they've got a bag full of boxcutters, are joking loudly about how American (and the USA) got what it deserved on September 11 and that they've gonna have a good time doing it again on that flight, then by all means act on suspicions and remove them from the flight.

But instead, it's yet another ridiculous "Look y'all, I done picked out the three terrorists out of over 100 million passengers we will fly this year. I'ma heeeeero."

Not unlike that dumbass security rentacop in Atlanta who allegedly bragged about being a hero before he found the bomb at the Olympics in 1996 (and was later cleared of involvement).

Think that loud, Middle-Eastern appearing pax are terrorists worthy of removing from the flight? Before you do that, find some honest to god confirmation or corroborating evidence. "Better safe than sorry" as the operating standard, by itself, is for pathetic losers, not true aviation professionals. Sorry, but thousands of hours of reading Vogue, People and US Magazine and several weeks of training on responding/reacting in airplane emergencies don't make someone a real terrorist spotter. It makes them a flight attendant.

Go figure, the politically correct know it alls have chimed in. The day is gonna come where one of you guys is gonna wish that somebody had profiled one of these types of passengers. ;)

Go figure, the politically correct know it alls have chimed in. The day is gonna come where one of you guys is gonna wish that somebody had profiled one of these types of passengers. ;)
Profiled what, 2 Israelis and a Portuguese citizen doing as the court and jury found absolutely nothing? Turns out they were not profiling just incredibly ignorant.

Had the person(s) who suspected this man been from the Israeli Mosad, the FBI or even the CIA I would give substantially more credence to the assertion. Given it came from a flight crew with no law enforcement background I do not give it a whole lot of credence.

It is quite possible that coming through security they were profiled and it was determined that they were not a threat. I guess the flight crew knew better huh?

That day has came and went once.

The big question, can we stomach another one while those that forget so easy want comfort and compassion over safety.

Cerqueira - who was released after two hours of questioning, but refused alternative travel accommodations by American -

Maybe he wasnt happy with the
"alternative travel accomodations" offered.

_40413863_feduponcamel220.jpg

How would you have profiled Timothy McVeigh?

Freedom has risks.

Maybe he wasnt happy with the
"alternative travel accomodations" offered.

_40413863_feduponcamel220.jpg

How would you have profiled Timothy McVeigh?

Freedom has risks.

McVeigh had no predisposition to aviation targets so your comparison is rather moot. There were no matches to Mcveigh's ethnicity among those who participated in 9/11 attacks. Take a look at the FBI terrorist list....how many look like Mcveigh?? http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/terrorists/fugitives.htm

Wonder how much (if any) USair will have to cough up for thier incident??

Post 9/11 folks....we are living in a whole different time and place these days. Call it fear, haste, ignorance or whatever you want. Muslims, Middle-Easterners or whatever you choose to call those who resemble the terrorist's ethnicity, like it or not are looked upon differently in the United States since 9/11. Right or wrong that's the way it is. As inconvenient as it may be I would rather err on the side of caution. I would hope there would be some sort of understanding. If I were living in a different country where people who looked just like me blew up buildings and killed thousands I would understand the suspicion and reaction.

Blame the terrorists not basic human instinct.

Post 9/11 folks....we are living in a whole different time and place these days. Call it fear, haste, ignorance or whatever you want. Muslims, Middle-Easterners or whatever you choose to call those who resemble the terrorist's ethnicity, like it or not are looked upon differently in the United States since 9/11. Right or wrong that's the way it is. As inconvenient as it may be I would rather err on the side of caution. I would hope there would be some sort of understanding. If I were living in a different country where people who looked just like me blew up buildings and killed thousands I would understand the suspicion and reaction.

Blame the terrorists not basic human instinct.

Bill, I believe this is the first time we ever agreed.

B) UT