$49-$129 Winter Fare Sale Is On

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
WoW! For $49 bucks you can fly from Dallas to San Diego via Las Vegas. Now that is cheap to get to the west coast. $49 bucks in gas for car won't get you out of Texas from LF to the west. Then you have 3 more states to get thru to get ya to the west coast at San Diego, Cal. I have driven this by car before and it took me 24 hours straight thru (no hotel stops).
Google says 3hrs 10 mins by air, 1360ish miles by car @ approx 20 hrs, add in gas, pit stops, and to eat, your easily at 24 hrs plus and more like 26-28 hrs. Even with the stop in Vegas, it's less than 6 hrs by air @ $49 bucks. By car; 26 hrs to 28 @ approx a minimum 3 tanks if not 4 @ approx $30-$50 bucks per fill, $10-$30 bucks per food stop, and a possible overnight stay by most at an average $80-$150 hotel stay, now your trip is in the $300-$750 plus. No brainer to take the flight.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...7010002//RK=2/RS=L32BaY_.zwGovK4Z6FpdZ5mA7Ck-

Nope. SWA does winter fare sales every winter. With around the exact same fare prices. $49 is pretty darn cheap to get you to the west coast. I still remember the $29 fare sales years back and one time even saw $19 bucks for some short hoppers.
If you see the $19 and even the $29 fares announced, then ya might call it desperation fares. With all that said now, SWA did entice passengers back to the air after 9-11 with multiple fare sales as cheap as they possibly could over a long time period and it worked. Once they see that majical number to entice passengers back to the flights they will go with it for a while to get folks back to flying. I would expect to see it again after vaccines are more available and more folks get vaccinated. Maybe mid next year you might start seeing some uptick in fare sales for enticements...