737-800 at Southwest

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/04/photos-why-southwests-first-boeing-737-800-is-kind-of-a-big-deal/

Introduced nearly 15 years ago, the Boeing 737-800 is not the newest, sexiest airliner in the skies.

What the -800 is is the most popular variant of Boeing’s 737 Next Generation series of single-aisle, mid-range workhorses. In the US, legacy carriers American, Delta and United all operate -800s, as do Alaska, AirTran, Sun Country, and others, along with with dozens of airlines around the world. The -800, along with its -700 and -900 brethren, have received some incremental upgrades over the years, but even the most visible of those — the 787 Dreamliner-inspired Boeing Sky Interior — has already been delivered on 300 737s since 2010, practically ancient history in the fast moving world of tech obsessed aviation geeks

Until reading this, I did not know that -800 featured serving carts. Big change for in-flight service!

Reactions: 1 person
I think if you check, AirTran has never had any 737-800's they got 737-700's and had talked about converting some of the 50 orders to a 737-800 but never did it. Most airlines use a cart for beverage service anyway. I have used carts for bev service and I thought is was very easy. When I was a FSM at TWA I used to do a bev cart for coach starting at the front and could eaisly do 2/3 of the coach cabin alone, until one of the other FA's finished passing out meals and joined me on the cart.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/04/photos-why-southwests-first-boeing-737-800-is-kind-of-a-big-deal/

Introduced nearly 15 years ago, the Boeing 737-800 is not the newest, sexiest airliner in the skies.

What the -800 is is the most popular variant of Boeing’s 737 Next Generation series of single-aisle, mid-range workhorses. In the US, legacy carriers American, Delta and United all operate -800s, as do Alaska, AirTran, Sun Country, and others, along with with dozens of airlines around the world. The -800, along with its -700 and -900 brethren, have received some incremental upgrades over the years, but even the most visible of those — the 787 Dreamliner-inspired Boeing Sky Interior — has already been delivered on 300 737s since 2010, practically ancient history in the fast moving world of tech obsessed aviation geeks

Until reading this, I did not know that -800 featured serving carts. Big change for in-flight service!

Anyone know the Avionics systems?
I see this is LUV's first ETOPS plane.
Interesting.
B) xUT

Just to clarify, N8301J and N8302J were originally AirTran orders for 2012. All the SWA -800's that SWA is going to receive this year are all AirTran orders, they simply took ownership of them once they aquired Airtran. But no, AirTran has not operated them, yet! A crazy rumor was floating around about keeping 12 of the -800's AirTran colors but with WN registrations so SWA could begin to use them internationally sooner rather than later. Then convert them over to SWA once the reservation system was up and running. Again, just crazy hangar rumors.

They are nice aircraft for sure, went out on the innaugural revenue departure on 8302. Funny , you cant tell they were airtran jets, they painted the door jambs and under the hood! :rolleyes: