752s in ROW?

mstrmoe

Jul 5, 2013
I've been watching AA arrivals in/out of ROW for a while now, just to see what new planes are getting repainted, and today I noticed 3 752s coming in to ROW:  N617AM, N695AN, N618AA from MIA, LAX, and JFK respectively. There haven't been many, if any, 752s in ROW in a while, and it's strange to see 3 coming in at once. They're all older aircraft, with ~20 years each. Are they headed to retirement, some special ceremony/transfer, paint, or something else?

Thanks so much for the info! 

I thought ROW (Roswell, NM) was where they get parked.

Check it out on google earth...
33°18'06.72" N 104°31'27.61" W

ROW is one of two boneyards that AA's used over the past 20 years. The other is MHV (Mohave), where the F100s all went.

I haven't seen MZJ (Marana), IGM (Kingman), or GYR (Goodyear) in Arizona used for anything but widebodies.

MHV has a mix of both...

img011.jpg

Here's what happened to both of HP's "Birds of Paradise"...

img001.jpg

I believe that AA has retired about 20 or more 757s since 2011.   They're increasingly expensive to maintain as they age, and AA has backfilled with new 738s.    

The 20 newest AA 757s date to the very late 1990s/early 2000s and are the angle-flat 75Ls.   Those will remain in the fleet for a few more years but I see the other 757s being retired as AA gets more A321s (the non-transcon A321s that begin delivery later this year).    

Top photo,-------- TWA 880's, been sitting quit a while. Hell of a deal when you can claim you worked on them!------ But I have.

MCI transplant said:
Top photo,-------- TWA 880's, been sitting quit a while. Hell of a deal when you can claim you worked on them!------ But I have.
I posted that with you in mind, sir... ;)

Those 19 880's probably spent more time parked at MHV awaiting their fate than they did in service with TW. I took those photos in 1996, and they'd been there for over 20 years. All were scrapped sometime around 1999.

Reactions: 1 person
In days of yore, TWA International Flight Pursers, when not needed in the winter low travel season, were able to bump "hostesses" off INT and DOM. I had the opportunity to work these guys out of ORD G Concourse as a de-frocked purser in winter 1972. 3-2 seating with a standup Coach drink bar. it was said that Howard Hughes submitted specs to Convair and the 880 was the result. Pilots loved them. According to Wiki, the cruise speed was an astonishing 615 mph--- at least 100 mph faster than today's jets, by using 4 modified F-4 fighter power plants. They were polluting, noisy and thirsty. RIP.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow, those must have been loud as hell.

I don't get how people can complain about airport noise these days. It wasn't *that* long ago these rockets would launch out of downtown airports such as MKC and DAL and they must have rattled windows all across town. Way before my time though, so I can only imagine it in my head

AdAstraPerAspera said:
Wow, those must have been loud as hell.

I don't get how people can complain about airport noise these days. It wasn't *that* long ago these rockets would launch out of downtown airports such as MKC and DAL and they must have rattled windows all across town. Way before my time though, so I can only imagine it in my head

The loudest jet I ever heard was Allegheny's BAC-111 taking off from HVN, its roar could still be heard even after the plane was a few miles away. They were louder than Eastern's DC-9'S AND 727'S that frequented the HVN. Its this plane that turned the airports neighbors against any expansion of the airport and that lasted for quite a few years until about 4 years ago when runway overruns were added along with flight path obstructions removed.
The past dies hard.

Reactions: 1 person