757 Crew Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey777

Veteran
May 24, 2006
In the latest APFA hotline they alluded to an item in the Spring 2009 Skyword about an agreement on 757 crew rest sets. I tried to look at the issue on the APFA website but it has not been posted yet. Does anybody know what was agreed upon?

I fly the 757 and i believe the agreement is that you get no rest.

If there are 3 flight attendants on the flight then you still get no rest.

If there are deadheading crew members they do get rest, but they will only be paid half of the scheduled leg for said rest.

No two f/a's may take rest at the same time. Unless they are deadheading then all flight attendants who are deadheading can rest as mush as they want.

I believe that was what was agreed upon.

:lol:

Did you take your medication today?

I guess I need to say serious replies only.

I'm asking once again. Please do NOT use the reply button at the bottom of a post if yours is the next post/reply/comment. Using that button copies the entire post into your reply. This wastes disk space and bandwidth.

Please take the extra nanosecond required to look down to the bottom of the page (that's right...1.5 inches below the reply button you are now using). There are 3 large buttons there labelled FAST REPLY, ADD REPLY, and NEW TOPIC. Please use the Fast Reply or Add Reply button. Thank you.

I do know APFA has some pretty straight forward language regarding crew rest ( industry leading) and since I haven't heard too much groaning from Euless regarding this issue I might expect that the contract was honored and that is what was achieved. I would ask your Chair/Vice Chair for any details as I am sure the BOD has been briefed on this by now.

From what I was told from someone working for the union, this went to arbitration. The ruling was the company will have to remove the last two rows on the left side of the aircraft and install 2 crew rest seats like the one on the 767-300. I would assume they will install a curtain, but i have no idea. Would be nice is the union would post this somewhere.

Hmm. I hadn't heard about the agreement. It makes sense. What we really need to find out is what the timeline for implementation is. Knowing AA it is probably March 23, 2012 at 1832. This will be well after they realize that 757 is insane on flights over 5 hours.

From what I was told from someone working for the union, this went to arbitration. The ruling was the company will have to remove the last two rows on the left side of the aircraft and install 2 crew rest seats like the one on the 767-300. I would assume they will install a curtain, but i have no idea. Would be nice is the union would post this somewhere.

I loved flying our 757 from STL-ANC. But then our staffing was better. Purser + 6. It was not very good on Intn flights. More like trying to dine formally in a drugstore. Our cabin set up was much more f/a friendly. The center galley space and lav placement made all the difference when it came to long haul services.

The 757 shouldn't be flown over 5 hours? So all airline's should stop flying it west bound, from east to west? I don't understand the logic in this. We at CAL at been flying the 757 for year's over the Atlantic and it is a pure pleasure to work. We have 3 galley's on board the plane, AVOD/PTV's at every seat, and 6 F/A's onboard. The service is so easy, it make's me wonder why all the older senior people forgot how it was to fly on the 707's. We also offer duty free shopping onboard the aircraft. This aircraft allow's not only CAL but each airline to enter smaller market's and make money. So by your logic skymess, AA should park the plane's and call it a day. I guess you enjoy furloughes..... :down:

I would be interested to see how CAL 757's look on the inside. You have to understand that AAL has not and never will be on the forefront when it comes to comfort and amenities. Our trans-atlantic 757 will not have a monitor at every seat. We will only have 2 galleys instead of 3. There will still be 166 people crammed in the back like sardines. I also believe that we will not be able to offer duty free because there is no cart space.

I was excited when they announced they were converting 18 757's to Europe flying because they were to be used on new routes. The rumors were JFK to Nice, Lisbon, Amsterdam, Dublin. But now due to the economy they are downgrading existing flights from a 767 to 757 on JFK-BRU, JFK-BCN, and the late JFK-CDG. So to most of us this new aircraft will be a total let down from what we have now.

You guy's at CO are great!!! You show up in real uniforms and have a smile on your face. Since I have been furloughed I travel on business and pleasure but exclusively CO. Your corporate culture is so different and your employer appreciates you. What an idea!!!

I will not purchase one ticket on AA to be treated like crap. Kudos to the CO employees.

"I will not purchase one ticket on AA to be treated like crap. Kudos to the CO employees."

One big THANK YOU!!!! We ALL appreciate it.

Jersey, while your 757's may not have PTV's it's still easy to work. The only weird thing about AA's 75's is the fact that you have seats by 2L and board through 1L. I think AA will start out with the 166 seats but will soon find the plane weight restricted west bound. Although it will be used for down grades at first, it will when the economy recovers move to expansion. I would be thankful my company was preparing for this.

I hate to say this but I think AA needed to enter Chapter 11 and totally restructure. The company is to top heavy, and honestly I think over all unproductive. I worked a 20 hour 2.5 day trip and had a AA F/A on my flight going to LAX. He asked me about my trip and his face dropped, and he said you can do all that in 2.5 days. I said of course it's all legal and I had enough rest. We did a early check-in and I worked on the 757-300, EWR-MCO-EWR-MCO-LAYOVER, EARLY CHECK-IN, MCO-IAH- 10 HOURS OF DAY REST, IAH-LAX-EWR, Finished at 5:55am.

The fact that AA still has pensions should really make it a more juniorish company. We have a steady amount of people who retire and move on and we have those that will die here. I think since AA is so top heavy and unproductive and cash strapped, it causes the company to do alot of half-a ssed things. I think with merger talks sparking up again, AA really needs to decidewhat it's going to do to stay ahead. The last thing I want is for CAL to merge with UAL. I wish AA had a larger Asia presence and that we were busy making love. I think we would make a real power house, once the MD-80's are gone of course lol.

Over all the planes will be on flights no longer then you have always worked but with nicer Europeans. I have never heard a complaint from one yet while working the 757 but of course have from our American cousins. Enjoy the plane while you have it, it's a wonderful power house of a plane and so cozy to fly over the Atlantic and we only have I think 10 less seats in ours.

With all due respect, you have no idea of what you are talking about. You sound like a new hire at Continental that thinks everything is peaches and cream and you have no idea of what our contract contains. The schedule you provided would most certainly be legal at AA and we do have trips like that. Your ascertion that AA file chapter 11 to change our work rules is ludicrous. We have very similar rules. The reason that the AA flight attendant looked at you like that was probably because you were on a dog trip. I mean, who wants to layover in Houston?

We certainly have our problems here at AA but the reason that AA doesn't invest in its product is not because of its pension and pay structure. It is because AA is a very conservative company. That is one reason that we avoided bankruptsy the last 75 years. I cannot say the same thing about Continental.

I will admit that right now you guys have a better situation at Continantal. In my opinion that is because at this moment in time you have a CEO who knows how to run an airline. One that respects its customers and its employees. You were probably hired during this time. But the one thing constant in this industry is change and during your tenure you will certainly see things from different perspectives. When times get tough and if Continental decides to terminate your pension, I will not be here saying that they should be able to do so because you guys are "top heavy".

...That is one reason that we avoided bankruptsy the last 75 years. I cannot say the same thing about Continental.

...In my opinion that is because at this moment in time you have a CEO who knows how to run an airline. One that respects its customers and its employees. You were probably hired during this time.

CO's bankruptcy was almost 20 years ago. And, while their current CEO seems to be respected and running a great airline, the turnaround began with the prior CEO, Gordo. The path he put the airline in during the mid 90's is why they are where they are now. Fleet rationalization to Boeings, getting rid of the DEN hub, strengthening EWR, pioneering the concept of RJs much earlier than the competition, thinking outside the box and putting 757's on intl. thin routes, oh - and treating the employees with respect through it all. He had all the stars lined up nicely and the airline and its people reflect that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.