777 engine fails, diverts to JFK

1AA

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
AA 777 diverts to JFK for engine failure. Flight was enroute to London from LAX.

Jetliner loses engine, lands safely in NYC

A jetliner carrying more than 250 people lost power in one of its two engines Wednesday but landed safely at a nearby airport, officials said.

The Boeing 777 plane landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport less than a half hour after the engine failed, said American Airlines spokesman Billy Sanez. Officials were investigating what caused the problem on Flight 134.

"The plane landed after the captain declared an emergency," Sanez said. "It's not a common incident, but the pilots are trained to deal with these situations."

The plane was en route to London from Los Angeles. Sanez said all the passengers would be put on another plane.

AA 777 diverts to JFK for engine failure. Flight was enroute to London from LAX.
Jetliner loses engine, lands safely in NYC

A jetliner carrying more than 250 people lost power in one of its two engines Wednesday but landed safely at a nearby airport, officials said.

The Boeing 777 plane landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport less than a half hour after the engine failed, said American Airlines spokesman Billy Sanez. Officials were investigating what caused the problem on Flight 134.

"The plane landed after the captain declared an emergency," Sanez said. "It's not a common incident, but the pilots are trained to deal with these situations."

The plane was en route to London from Los Angeles. Sanez said all the passengers would be put on another plane.
Any word on a cause yet?

AA doesn't have any extra 777's hanging around to replace this one with. I wonder what they will do???

Maybe the AA BOD should have used the money they just gave to Arpey for his raise, to buy new aircraft?? :blink:

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='400384' date='Jul 27 2006, 03:06 PM']AA doesn't have any extra 777's hanging around to replace this one with. I wonder what they will do???

Maybe the AA BOD should have used the money they just gave to Arpey for his raise, to buy new aircraft?? :blink:[/quote]

Arpey's raise of $125,000 per year, wouldn't even come close to the down payment for a new Triple 7. Heck it couldn't even cover the down payment on a Jungle Jet or CRJ.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='400384' date='Jul 27 2006, 08:06 AM']AA doesn't have any extra 777's hanging around to replace this one with. I wonder what they will do???

Maybe the AA BOD should have used the money they just gave to Arpey for his raise, to buy new aircraft?? :blink:[/quote]

What the hell? By now, Bob Owens and his colleagues have probably replaced the engine and the airplane is flying.

What the hell? By now, Bob Owens and his colleagues have probably replaced the engine and the airplane is flying.

Probably not....what is it they say....they do "just enough work to not get fired". "More work, less pay". Nope, don't look for Bob to work quickly! He's got an "agenda"!!! He'll show 'em!!

Probably not....what is it they say....they do "just enough work to not get fired". "More work, less pay". Nope, don't look for Bob to work quickly! He's got an "agenda"!!! He'll show 'em!!

That's right bootlicker Bill!!!
They choose to pay us substandard pay
Which without my seniority would be low enough to quit.
But I have a vested interest of 20 plus years in this once great airline so I will stay and be disgruntled like 90% of my coworkers. With the hopes that it will get better. Or untill this ship sinks.
Either way and untill then...........
THEY PAY ME JUST BARELY ENOUGH NOT TO QUIT SO......
I DO JUST ENOUGH NOT TO GET FIRED!!! ;) ;) :down: :(

That's right bootlicker Bill!!!
They choose to pay us substandard pay
Which without my seniority would be low enough to quit.
But I have a vested interest of 20 plus years in this once great airline so I will stay and be disgruntled like 90% of my coworkers. With the hopes that it will get better. Or untill this ship sinks.
Either way and untill then...........
THEY PAY ME JUST BARELY ENOUGH NOT TO QUIT SO......
I DO JUST ENOUGH NOT TO GET FIRED!!! ;) ;) :down: :(

Thanks for clearing that up!! :up: :up: :up:

Here he is again, Billybob the twu SuperHitter, Mr. WorkEthic, wearin' out those tools... showin' the man how he's a pullin' and a winnin'!!!! "Look at me Bossman, I be workin' real good y'all, I be lucky to have this here job"!!!! "Yasssir".... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Those callouses must be getting quite large on your chin Billy....is Burdchette showing you the ropes? :shock: :shock:

BTW, I'll bet it was gearbox or transfer drive shaft failure. RR Trents have problems with these componants.

Another 777 inflight shut down. This one in London.
What is going on with AA's 777 engines. Two IFSD's in three days. Coincidental I am sure but it looks bad for AA and Rolls Royce.

Another 777 inflight shut down. This one in London.
What is going on with AA's 777 engines. Two IFSD's in three days. Coincidental I am sure but it looks bad for AA and Rolls Royce.

Not so great for the ETOPS program either.

Flights 66/67 DFW-ORD-DFW on the 777 have been cancelled thru the 2nd. I'm guessing the 777 was taken off this route to cover and international flight.
Actually, there isn't an a/c dedicated to that flight. 66 is a "through" flight to LHR. 67 is a "through" flight to DFW. They are just cancelling the domestic portions.

The only reason we have that is as a sop to the senior domestic f/as who want a 777 line on the bidsheet. The ladies fly 66 up to ORD and bring 67 back home.

The RR "TRENT" is a good engine, but it still has some problems that will show up time to time as the engines mature. These "glitches" can only be fixed by piling up the hours and cycles on the engines in the field. The Trent series will more than likely become just as reliable as the RB211-535 series(The best airliner powerplant ever built) once more "on wing" experience with the engines is obtained.