A.M.F.A. Files for Election

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
yea,great...but you'll be stuck with the IAM throughout your BK agreement....particularly if you guys agree to concessions and don't let the court abrogate your contract through 1113.

AMFA is on a roll and the latest rumor is that AMFA
has filed for a representation election.Someday all
mechs will have the same union much like ALPA.

On 3/7/2003 8:09:30 AM DELLDUDE wrote:

yea,great...but you'll be stuck with the IAM throughout your BK agreement....particularly if you guys agree to concessions and don't let the court abrogate your contract through 1113.

You would be stuck with the agreement,but not the union.
If you get enough votes the IAM can be voted out anytime.
Bk doesnt have any effect on who represents you.

Why would any mechanic want to keep the IAM? This question has nothing to do with AMFA, just why would any mechanic or even a ramper want to keep the IAM? They are doing an absolutely horrible job.

I think it is irresponsible for AMFA to file right now. It will only disrupt things and there's no way they are going to stop anything right now, ie concession, or stop the judge from abrogating the contract if no agreement is reached. They were irresponsible back then in the middle of contract negotiation, stalling the process while the nmb investigated the filing.

I'm for a separate union so that there is no more conflict of interest between parties represented by the IAM. What I don't like though is AMFA's poor timing.

www.PlaneDoctor.Com
Cast your vote, and discuss the issue.
[A target=_top href="http://www.planedoctor.com/pd/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=306#306"]AMFA[/A]

You'll have to register to vote.
Registration is free.

Take Care,

I agree...i'm not sure why they would file now. Why not wait until rank and file have cuts imposed (either by vote or the judge) and then file. Seems to me you'd get a lot more people to vote amfa.

Either way, nothing can stop the reality if the judge rules in favor to void the contract.

hang in there!

The IAM is hopefully now going to be kicked out at UAL.
One of the things that turned me against them was packing the
last card drive with fuelers,SAMC,and some other management
employees.That all I needed to see.Whether I am still here or
not it will be better for those who remain here to have a mechanics
union.We all need someone to represent us faithfully and make
secret deals like they did in the 85 pilot strike.We came in and did
make work jobs while our union brothers were out on strike and thats
bullsh*t.Bye Bye IAM I have already sent in my associate membership
fee.No more corrupt industrial unions.

I think it is irresponsible for AMFA to file right now. It will only disrupt things and there's no way they are
going to stop anything right now, ie concession, or stop the judge from abrogating the contract if no
agreement is reached. They were irresponsible back then in the middle of contract negotiation, stalling the
process while the nmb investigated the filing.

I'm for a separate union so that there is no more conflict of interest between parties represented by the
IAM. What I don't like though is AMFA's poor timing.

No it wont stop the judge but that is still no reason to keep these
backstabbers as our reps.If AMFA were to win an election manana
they would take over once they are certified.

If the judge voids the contract we will most likely still be paying dues to a union. I would rather pay AMFA than the IAM. I advise all mechanics to fill out the form to stop payroll deduction of union dues. Pay by check. I just see all kinds of accounting problems if AMFA gets in. Try to get your money back from the IAM.

In another thread last year I posted that all pilots should send in an AMFA card. They DF or CF through SAMC all the time. That could be considered related. I hope some took my advice. The IAM will throw in any names they can find.

I'm tired of hearing what is going to happen. I want to hear what the IAM is going to do for me. So far nothing. AMFA can do no worse. As for timing? What does it really matter? It might even push the IAM to do their job.

ual747mech,
You sound like you would work for any wage. Is $20 or less an hour worth the responsibility you take when signing off work or releasing the aircraft? I have started looking again. It’s just not worth it anymore. I will take any job that pays $20 over staying at UAL. As long as it is out of aviation. I have lost trust in my union and UAL management. Never did trust management. I have positioned myself to do just that without loosing my house or lifestyle. Don't get me wrong. I go in and do my job. I don't cause trouble. I just think its time to call it quits.

AMFA!!!

Cast your vote, and discuss the issue.

Take Care,

Gatemech,

I bet you were one of the folks who thought the judge was going to give us a better deal huh? Let history be your guide. Attorneys weigh their case base on precedent cases. One thing about AMFA is they have too many people like you with bad attitudes!!

The whole "the bk judge will give us a better deal" is so hindsight at this point. I won't even call it out.

On the other hand...the "full pay to the last day" is just ignorance. What will you do on your last day? Get a new job? Where? What benefits will you have? 401k goes where? Maybe the mantra should be "no pay the day after".

747mechanic...I really enjoy your posts and feel that you have a rational outlook.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 11:51:10 PM ual747mech wrote:

Gatemech,

I bet you were one of the folks who thought the judge was going to give us a better deal huh? Let history be your guide. Attorneys weigh their case base on precedent cases. One thing about AMFA is they have too many people like you with bad attitudes!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

I almost replied with a sharp whimsical retort. (Defensive habit).
Regardless, why are you opposed to an opportunity to be represented by yourself/and/or your peers?

I believe time is running out, there is a time limit of 12 months on the cards that were filled out by UAL mechanics, reason for filing now, plus if there is more furloughes/retirements soon AMFA may loss some votes.

You guys seem to be in denial about the future of Ual.
Without 25% cuts across the board and work rule changes, it won't matter what union represents you guys.

I know it is a bitter pill to swallow, but to save Ual, and I mean save Ual, drastic action must be taken.

I said a long time ago that wages must be tied to revenue, and non essential jobs done away with, to accomplish this.

The biggest hurdle standing in the way of this action, is the unfairness of management to do it.

I think if you all felt that we were all in this together it would be worth the shot, but mistrust of the top level groups seem to discourage these needed changes.

Everyone seems to have their own agenda.

Good luck to everyone here. We are all going to need it.