A Moral Imperative

Dea Certe

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Folks,

We have all made major concessions here and at other airlines to "save" our airlines. We've swallowed many bitter pills in the form of pay cuts, loss of benefits and loss of jobs. During this time, many of us were forced to move or commute to preserve our jobs so we could continue to feed our families and pay our bills. As much as we may have hated it, we thought we were doing the best thing, hoping our shared sacrifices would stabilize the company and those laid off would be recalled.

We struggled to maintain a level of service that wasn't making us proud of the product but at least keeping the company afloat until it could be turned around. We apologized to our most valued customers as many of the things they had come to expect from US Airways disappeared. In my experience, most of our VFF's understood and were supportive of us, the employee. While our management appeared to muddle its way through these tough times, we tried to keep a stiff upper lip and did the best we could. Understaffed, undermined and kept in the dark about all things except "certain liquidation" we ran ourselves ragged, still hoping better days were ahead.

Yes, it's been embarrassing to serve FC with plastic cups and paper napkins. It's been disturbing to have to wait for the jetways to be pulled up as the airport was so understaffed there was no one available to drive it up. We all know those cut backs have been annoying, but hoped they would be temporary.

We have strived to maintain some level of customer service, while at the same time certain members of the bright and talented management team drove away guaranteed travelers by alienating them with really ill-conceived new policies. In the quest for profits, War seemed to be declared on two fronts, the employees and the customer. No one is happy about it.

We have now reached the back breaker, third party aircraft maintenance. The one thing that must be held sacred is safety. Do you trust the FAA? I don't. Most of us have seen this passe bureacracy up close and personal. We know its mandate is not as much about safety as it is about "promoting" air travel.

All of us must put an end to the insanity of our industry. There's a huge game of chicken going on among the airline executives. It's a game of brinkmanship that can only end when all of us, at every airline draw the line at meddling with issues of safety.

Everytime I go to work I am putting my life in the hands of someone else. I trust our pilots and our mechanics to protect me and my pax with their skill and training. If our maintenance is out sourced, how can any of us have that confidence?

Now is the time for all true professionals to stand up together and say No More. This isn't just a US Airways issue, it's happening industry wide. How can it be acceptable? Corporations don't suffer from guilt, they will walk away, wallets fat while those of us who truly care will have to live with the shame and guilt that we didn't do our part while we had the chance.

I think it's time to start informational picketing and leafletting. Give the public a chance to know who cares about their safety. Let them choose who they want to fly on: Gillian's Airlines or one seen to by professionals. They deserve the right to know. We have a moral imperative here. We can't back down.

Dea

Dea,

Thanks. Right on point again.

Leafletting and picketing will commence. The IAM is gearing up for this and it is in the works.

Flight attendants will assist them and be by their side. Rest Assured. Its right around the corner!

Start wearing the IAM button on your crew luggage. The AFA PIT President is waiting for her shipment to be placed in the crew rooms along with our "green ribbons".
They will be in a basket below the AFA Board. Take extra for your crew.

Excellent post!!!

Let's hope maintenance continues to stay in-house so we don't have to find out why the FAA is called the "Tomsbstone Agency"

Dea,

You rock! What an amazingly eloquent posting on an issue that I think everyone needs to know about!

It's bad enough that the industry is modelling itself along the tradition of Nike shoe factories being contracted out and the subcontracted out, but to have such critical matters as maintenance and safety being wrung through a sweating out system of rube-goldberg subcontracting.... that should put chills in everyones souls!

Perhaps they should call it the Free-fall Market?

In solidarity,
-Airlineorphan

Atlantic wrote:
And the piolts are going to slit their neck again?
Have fun.

And unsafe third party maintenance is not slitting everyones throats? The hand that holds the blade at everyones (employees, passengers) throats is not that of the employees.

-Airlineorphan

Nope,
The majors farm out over 40% of mx. as it is.
SW,100% of heavy mx.
Blue? I'm not sure if they have in house mx. at all.
I wish the IAM the best, but I'm going to work tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.

Atlantic said:
Nope,
The majors farm out over 40% of mx. as it is.
SW,100% of heavy mx.
Blue? I'm not sure if they have in house mx. at all.
I wish the IAM the best, but I'm going to work tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
"Nope,"

---Well, as long as you're not flippant.........

"The majors farm out over 40% of mx. as it is."

---Would that be 40% of all "majors" farming out 100%, or 100% of majors farming out 40%. What is the criteria of "major" as it relates to that statistic...what carriers etc? What mx?: Components? Sub-assemblies? Heavy? Line?

"SW,100% of heavy mx."

---They farm out, but not 100% of heavy mtc. They do phased heavy checks as well...as do we.

"Blue? I'm not sure if they have in house mx. at all."

---Just line maint. Not a good comparison though: Fleet small, and fleet young.

"I wish the IAM the best"

---I'd like to believe, but I sense overtones of a bit of an axe to grind.,

"but I'm going to work tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow."

---Yeah fine, I'm OK with that. Were you told to do otherwise?

PineyBob,

Considering the rate of burn among MSP (Management Salary Personell) at U , I.E Foremen , Engineers , and the alike within the maintenance ranks...and link that to how poorly Airbus Engineering and AOG Support works and communicates with us...and the other US Majors , I would safely have to say that keeping it straight , up to date...and acountable would only get worse rapidly. We do a great job with this...and that's from pure pride in our work. Not what you are going to get with the maintenance equivalent of a "Puppy Mill"

Trying to keep everything straight even under one roof if difficult...changes , updates , AD's and EA's are a natural fact in this business...so to think the trickle down theory of information is going to improove things?....beyond the initial cost is dreaming....it's all about money in U's eye....and money saved don't buy safety for any of us.

U just can't or rather won't learn. The Airbus has been...and always will be a bargain in three ways.

(1) The Initial Purchase Price
(2) Crew Training Issues
(3) Fuel...and that is debateable at times.

What Wolf and Gangwhal...and now Seigel have fallen into is the trap of LONG TERM Vs. SHORT TERM

The trap lies within the aging process...and the lacking of actual / tangible support.
The Airbus will not last as long period !!! Anyone in maintenance will agree that has watched a Boeing or MDC Acft age...and then watched what the Airbus is doing already.

We are finding defects in certain parts already....well to say its a defect may be extreme...but it's definately a penalty where Airbus has tried to design in weight savings on materials Vs. that of it's American competition....and un-timely replacement of this or that is becoming as common as dirt.
The emergency purchases in the field..and the data base on Robbed Parts will support this....as will an honest engineer lurking about

We have idenified a number of parts...mainly aluminum cast fittings that Disgust Bus authorized and installed on these planes....and now we are moving toward replacing them with parts that would make Boeings standards of material construction....a useable alternate part of higher grade metals

Would a sub-contractor even care?...or just do what the manual says..and not examine the long term implications?..or even raise the question? I'll bet on our team to do it right..and seek greater resolve everytime!!.

U is trying to do everything on a discount basis...except offering a reasonable fare structure.

I'm sure if we did more to make things better for our FF's...and made the operation more functional...as in the PHL disasters case...We would be making money hand over fist...and the need to destroy the people that make this airline would not seem so important anymore....but knowing what I've seen , I'm sure greed would win out on that too.

PineyBob said:
And unsafe third party maintenance is not slitting everyones throats? The hand that holds the blade at everyones (employees, passengers) throats is not that of the employees.

-Airlineorphan
Let's not go overboard. 3rd party maintenance has the POTENTIAL to be extremely dangerous. It also has the potential to be very inexpensive!

The trick is for the company doing the outsourcing is to create, monitor and rigidly inspect the process to ensure the vendor is in compliance.

Now does anyone on here have any confidence that US Airways has the management skill set or business process in place to do the above in order to ensure that curent standards are met or exceeded?

If your answer is a resounding NO! as mine is then picking a side is relatively simple to do. [/quote]
I want to be perfectly clear on this. I don't want the company to outsource the heavy maintenance on the bus. But maybe our friends and members at the IAM should be asking themselves why this is being debated in the first place. There has to be a reason why the company is so interested in doing this when we have our own maintenance dept. Tooling can only be part of the problem as the payback for that investment can't be that long with over 100 aircraft to maintain.
Unions (and I'm a member) have a long history of featherbedding and inefficiencies that go along with their contracts. Our restructuring erased much of this from our agreements. Why isn't IAM preparing some sort of data or program to show the company the overwhelming advantages of keeping this important part of our operation in-house instead of chest-beating and claiming "what's ours is our's". History shows us that we almost NEVER win with that approach to labor-management relations.
You at IAM need a new approach. Show the company how efficient these heavy maintenance lines can be. Show them how the work can be done better and more timely with less hassle when done right here in our own facilities. Don't let a third party decide this dispute. You people put something together to prove to the company once and for all that the best way, the efficient way, the least costly way, the SAFEST way for our aircraft to be maintained is with uniformed USAirways maintenance personnel maintaining them. Hopefully then we won't have to cross this bridge again.

A320 Driver

Excellent post, A320! Why isn't the IAM doing such a thing? If outsourcing proves cheaper in the analysis, it would seem that gap could be bridged in some way (outside of further pay cuts, which I don't think anyone would propose at this point).

Every aircraft we have ever owned has had to have it's own time for everything to "shake out". I must say though, I have never seen more negativity associated with an aircraft as I have from our maintenance people for the bus. What I really don't understand is that we seem to run less MELs on the bus than the 300s I flew. I just don't have many problems other than the usual seat back or coffee maker to deal with. I've flown the bus since we got it and I've found it more reliable than anything I ever flew for the airline (especially the 727s). So why all the negative sentiment. Maybe because it's assembled in Europe? Can't be that simple!

The bus is 40% american made. The Boeing is 60% american made. I'm not going to get worked up over the 20%! Could this be part of the problem with the company wanting to farm out the heavy maintenance? Can't say that either.

I CAN say that if I owned a foreign car and took it to someone to fix it and all they had to say was how big a piece of junk it was and how it won't last, I'm going to walk out and take my business elsewhere. I'm ceratinly not saying that this is what is going on, but two things are certain: 1, negative attitudes are contageous and 2, the majority is not always right.

I like the bus. Nicest airplane I ever flew. I've also talked to Air Canada pilots that have flown the aircraft for over a decade and had nothing but good to say about it.

My $.02

A320 Driver

Aim well before you fire boys!