A New Approach to Pilot Pay at US Airways

HogDriver

Sep 2, 2002
I am posting the following letter which has been forwarded already to USAPA reps and other boards. I welcome fellow pilots questions, critical discussions and ideas. I feel we are in a very unique position to have a system put in place like this now that will not harm anyone's current pay and would greatly benefit ALL pilots here at US Airways. Looking forward to the debate...

A fair, balanced and rational idea for all of our pilots.

Fellow pilots, I would like to propose a different approach to all of the challenges we already have and will face here in our careers at US Airways and beyond. I will fore-go the detailed history we all have endured here for the past 20 plus years. But looking back it is clear the old approach to pilot pay and career advancement has let most of us down. Thanks to terrible business decisions, inept leadership, sour economy and 9/11, just to name a few influences, we as a pilot group have suffered great economic loss and continue to do so now. As we re-group with new union elections, a continued ridiculous battle for seniority fairness and a new contract, I believe the time is ripe to consider a paradigm shift in our approach to pilot pay.

I am proposing we consider a pay system based solely on Length of Service (LOS). It is not something completely new. Other carriers such as UPS. BA and others use this with no issues. I believe eliminating the differences pay and closing seat pay gaps will help ALL of our pilots, Jr. and senior, east and west, achieve a fair and balanced compensation for the remainder of our careers. We have a system in place right now that creates a group of haves and have-nots, fosters ill will between groups all wanting the same limited access to the top pay "golden ticket", and is the driving force behind union dis-unity. I believe we are in a unique situation right now that could allow implementation of such a system due to the fact we are so out of whack with our current pay rates, and also facing the possibility of having a court ram the Nic down our throats. Regardless of whether we prevail with DOH or not, a LOS pay system will help all of our pilots who came into this career expecting to pay dues at the beginning, advance to wide bodies and left seat and be fairly compensated all the way to retirement. Reality is this, there will be NO internal growth allowing career progression. Only mergers and retirement attrition will allow movement to higher paying positions under our current system. In fact there could be even more downsizing ahead. I am not smart enough a number cruncher to have all of the answers but consider the following points and look at your own careers and see if you agree with me that taking apart our old approach to pay would not benefit you.

I propose LOS pay with a reducing difference between left and right seat pay as the LOS increases ( i.e. the gap between L/R seat would be a slight override, say 10% vs. the 45% plus we have now) and allow a slight override for Int'l trips and holiday pay.

--LOS pay would take away the need to chase seats at the detriment to your lifestyle. Pay based solely on the amount of years you work here allows you to bid any equipment, base etc, simply based on your lifestyle. It would benefit commuters who now travel to reserve, older pilots who have to fly long haul and senior pilots who have to bid low positions just for the better pay. UPS and BA have their most senior pilots flying mostly narrow body short trips and the Jr pilots doing Int'l wide body flying. I don't know about you, but the best time to fly time zone long haul is when I'm young, not flying to 65. Take a look at pilot mortality rates after retirement. I believe it is healthier to not be forced to fly something just to make pay.

--LOS protects pilots during downturns and seasonal schedule changes. It also takes away a weapon management has used against us. With LOS we don't care if they buy Baby Busses, 172's or Space Shuttles. We are skilled, trained, experienced professionals. Pay me for those skills regardless what you want flown.

--LOS protects against outside forces such as the Nic. I am a Jan '89 hire, was furloughed one year in 2003, returned to start MidAtlantic in 2004 and have trained and typed on every aircraft we fly except the A-330. Thanks to outside forces I am looking at having every West pilot, including the 2005 new-hires, jump ahead of me and take higher pay positions under our current system. Now I am all about fighting the Nic, but one thing I have learned is once Judges, Lawyers and Jury's get involved, you are no longer in total control of your own career. LOS takes away any loss from a Nic type seniority merger.

--LOS is fair. It has always amazed me that we have such difference in pay between pilots. The lucky few who had the timing to catch all the right waves and get fast upgrades and wide bodies are paid two and three times the last pilots on board who just got in line at the wrong time. It can be argued that those very few top pay positions are supplemented by the much lower pay of others. It doubly amazes me we have such an emphasis on the few top pay seats when: 1) here at US Air we don't have but a few wide bodies to go around, and 2) the old line of " don't worry...you will get there someday" simply does not happen here anymore. There will be NO internal growth for the foreseeable future, only attrition. We all know there is not one bit of difference between any one of our pilots skills, training, etc. There should not be any difference in how those pilots are paid. Even the huge difference between left seat/ right seat can change. Once a pilot has been hired, trained, and gained experience and type ratings, the gap between the two seats pay should narrow. Yes, the Capt. has the ultimate responsibility for everything and should have increased compensation for that. But I believe a fair and balanced approach is more like a 10% difference, not the large difference we have now.

Talk about working for unity...if there are no more haves and have-not's...no more old dogs and Jr. angry pilots...we could bring this entire pilot group together for the first time to fight against the real foes out there and achieve the airline and career we all have wanted since we first grabbed the stick here.

I am sure there are many who will disagree with me and want to stay with the old system. Some will argue it can't be done...cost too much...whatever. I am just a dumb fighter pilot when it comes to numbers and I am hoping others will take a look at this idea and crunch numbers better than I ever could. But consider the fact that due to our extreme low pay right now, we have the ability to build a fair LOS pay system that would still raise ALL pilots pay. Yes the top seats would probably not gain as much under this system, but...they would still gain regardless, and they have been receiving the top pay all along while the rest have endured much lower pay rates. My simple military mind looks at it like this. Under our old system we have rates in mind for each seat in a new contract, and that total package costs X per year. Taking that same X piece of the pie we can build LOS scales for Capt. and F/O that closes the gap between left and right seat as the years increase and produces a fair and well compensated rate for all.

In closing ,I strongly feel this is a much better approach to pilot pay for all of us. It takes away the huge income differences, which takes away the in-fighting to get the golden ticket, which takes away the weapons for management to hammer us with, which takes away pilot dis-unity. It allows for a pilot to only bid for lifestyle needs, not be affected by outside forces and mergers, be protected from downturns and receive a fair and generous compensation for his skills and experience based on his /her time with the company.

I am contacting my USAPA reps and requesting formal motions for the union to explore this option and hope you join me in it's support.

Fraternally,

Ward Motz

A-320 F/O

PHL

Reactions: 2 people
I am posting the following letter which has been forwarded already to USAPA reps and other boards. I welcome fellow pilots questions, critical discussions and ideas. I feel we are in a very unique position to have a system put in place like this now that will not harm anyone's current pay and would greatly benefit ALL pilots here at US Airways. Looking forward to the debate...

A fair, balanced and rational idea for all of our pilots.

Fellow pilots, I would like to propose a different approach to all of the challenges we already have and will face here in our careers at US Airways and beyond. I will fore-go the detailed history we all have endured here for the past 20 plus years. But looking back it is clear the old approach to pilot pay and career advancement has let most of us down. Thanks to terrible business decisions, inept leadership, sour economy and 9/11, just to name a few influences, we as a pilot group have suffered great economic loss and continue to do so now. As we re-group with new union elections, a continued ridiculous battle for seniority fairness and a new contract, I believe the time is ripe to consider a paradigm shift in our approach to pilot pay.

I am proposing we consider a pay system based solely on Length of Service (LOS). It is not something completely new. Other carriers such as UPS. BA and others use this with no issues. I believe eliminating the differences pay and closing seat pay gaps will help ALL of our pilots, Jr. and senior, east and west, achieve a fair and balanced compensation for the remainder of our careers. We have a system in place right now that creates a group of haves and have-nots, fosters ill will between groups all wanting the same limited access to the top pay "golden ticket", and is the driving force behind union dis-unity. I believe we are in a unique situation right now that could allow implementation of such a system due to the fact we are so out of whack with our current pay rates, and also facing the possibility of having a court ram the Nic down our throats. Regardless of whether we prevail with DOH or not, a LOS pay system will help all of our pilots who came into this career expecting to pay dues at the beginning, advance to wide bodies and left seat and be fairly compensated all the way to retirement. Reality is this, there will be NO internal growth allowing career progression. Only mergers and retirement attrition will allow movement to higher paying positions under our current system. In fact there could be even more downsizing ahead. I am not smart enough a number cruncher to have all of the answers but consider the following points and look at your own careers and see if you agree with me that taking apart our old approach to pay would not benefit you.

I propose LOS pay with a reducing difference between left and right seat pay as the LOS increases ( i.e. the gap between L/R seat would be a slight override, say 10% vs. the 45% plus we have now) and allow a slight override for Int'l trips and holiday pay.

--LOS pay would take away the need to chase seats at the detriment to your lifestyle. Pay based solely on the amount of years you work here allows you to bid any equipment, base etc, simply based on your lifestyle. It would benefit commuters who now travel to reserve, older pilots who have to fly long haul and senior pilots who have to bid low positions just for the better pay. UPS and BA have their most senior pilots flying mostly narrow body short trips and the Jr pilots doing Int'l wide body flying. I don't know about you, but the best time to fly time zone long haul is when I'm young, not flying to 65. Take a look at pilot mortality rates after retirement. I believe it is healthier to not be forced to fly something just to make pay.

--LOS protects pilots during downturns and seasonal schedule changes. It also takes away a weapon management has used against us. With LOS we don't care if they buy Baby Busses, 172's or Space Shuttles. We are skilled, trained, experienced professionals. Pay me for those skills regardless what you want flown.

--LOS protects against outside forces such as the Nic. I am a Jan '89 hire, was furloughed one year in 2003, returned to start MidAtlantic in 2004 and have trained and typed on every aircraft we fly except the A-330. Thanks to outside forces I am looking at having every West pilot, including the 2005 new-hires, jump ahead of me and take higher pay positions under our current system. Now I am all about fighting the Nic, but one thing I have learned is once Judges, Lawyers and Jury's get involved, you are no longer in total control of your own career. LOS takes away any loss from a Nic type seniority merger.

--LOS is fair. It has always amazed me that we have such difference in pay between pilots. The lucky few who had the timing to catch all the right waves and get fast upgrades and wide bodies are paid two and three times the last pilots on board who just got in line at the wrong time. It can be argued that those very few top pay positions are supplemented by the much lower pay of others. It doubly amazes me we have such an emphasis on the few top pay seats when: 1) here at US Air we don't have but a few wide bodies to go around, and 2) the old line of " don't worry...you will get there someday" simply does not happen here anymore. There will be NO internal growth for the foreseeable future, only attrition. We all know there is not one bit of difference between any one of our pilots skills, training, etc. There should not be any difference in how those pilots are paid. Even the huge difference between left seat/ right seat can change. Once a pilot has been hired, trained, and gained experience and type ratings, the gap between the two seats pay should narrow. Yes, the Capt. has the ultimate responsibility for everything and should have increased compensation for that. But I believe a fair and balanced approach is more like a 10% difference, not the large difference we have now.

Talk about working for unity...if there are no more haves and have-not's...no more old dogs and Jr. angry pilots...we could bring this entire pilot group together for the first time to fight against the real foes out there and achieve the airline and career we all have wanted since we first grabbed the stick here.

I am sure there are many who will disagree with me and want to stay with the old system. Some will argue it can't be done...cost too much...whatever. I am just a dumb fighter pilot when it comes to numbers and I am hoping others will take a look at this idea and crunch numbers better than I ever could. But consider the fact that due to our extreme low pay right now, we have the ability to build a fair LOS pay system that would still raise ALL pilots pay. Yes the top seats would probably not gain as much under this system, but...they would still gain regardless, and they have been receiving the top pay all along while the rest have endured much lower pay rates. My simple military mind looks at it like this. Under our old system we have rates in mind for each seat in a new contract, and that total package costs X per year. Taking that same X piece of the pie we can build LOS scales for Capt. and F/O that closes the gap between left and right seat as the years increase and produces a fair and well compensated rate for all.

In closing ,I strongly feel this is a much better approach to pilot pay for all of us. It takes away the huge income differences, which takes away the in-fighting to get the golden ticket, which takes away the weapons for management to hammer us with, which takes away pilot dis-unity. It allows for a pilot to only bid for lifestyle needs, not be affected by outside forces and mergers, be protected from downturns and receive a fair and generous compensation for his skills and experience based on his /her time with the company.

I am contacting my USAPA reps and requesting formal motions for the union to explore this option and hope you join me in it's support.

Fraternally,

Ward Motz

A-320 F/O

PHL

Works for me. By the way, only an Air Farce pilot would consider themselves a "Fighter Pilot" flying an A-10! B)

I think we should look at any and all ideas, but my impression of this would not work for us. Here's why: I'm assuming that this would have say a 14 year longevity guy make the same money. The problem with that is that currently what the 14 year guy on the west can make is much higher than the 14 year guy on the east can make. If we didn't have the Nicolau award and we were all happy with this redistribution, then fine, but I think this one probably wouldn't fly and could lead to another DFR.

I think the extension of increases for F/Os that cannot hold a higher paying captain bid as Ferguson described is a more moderate approach.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we should look at any and all ideas, but my impression of this would not work for us. Here's why: I'm assuming that this would have say a 14 year longevity guy make the same money. The problem with that is that currently what the 14 year guy on the west can make is much higher than the 14 year guy on the east can make. If we didn't have the Nicolau award and we were all happy with this redistribution, then fine, but I think this one probably wouldn't fly and could lead to another DFR.

I think the extension of increases for F/Os that cannot hold a higher paying captain bid as Ferguson described is a more moderate approach.

Pi...Not sure I follow your point. I am basing this idea on a starting point that regardless of your current pay (east or west), a scale would be designed so that all pilots would receive a raise. (Some more than others as the top paid pilots gain a smaller raise while bottom pilots come up more) It would take some real number crunching but can be done...I think. The fact that both east and west pay is so low and needs to increase to get even close to industry standard, gives the room to make the two scales work and still raise all pilots pay from todays position. It would simply mean the ultimate top pay rate would be lower than an old system new A330 pay rate might reach. It obviously would not work if anyone had to take a lower pay rate than they have right now.

And if the goal is to more fairly distribute total pilot pay how would that cause a DFR?

Reactions: 1 person
Works for me. By the way, only an Air Farce pilot would consider themselves a "Fighter Pilot" flying an A-10! B)

Not to hijack a good thread but I lived very near an A-10 practice range and I'm sorry but they are the coolest things. Even with dummy rounds you should see the Hell raised by the 37mm anti-tank gun that fires depleted uranium shells.

Granted, they are a one task aircraft and that is close in ground support which is not very sexy. Not to be all nit picky aren't the A-10's flown by mostly Marine Aviators?

I now return the thread

All Squids wear pantyhose...What else do you call the pilots who actually did all the fighting while the air-to-air guys flew doughnut holes in the sky...watching us stack up the enemy by the hundreds, and wishing they too could unleash the mighty Hog?

Not to hijack a good thread but I lived very near an A-10 practice range and I'm sorry but they are the coolest things. Even with dummy rounds you should see the Hell raised by the 37mm anti-tank gun that fires depleted uranium shells.

Granted, they are a one task aircraft and that is close in ground support which is not very sexy. Not to be all nit picky aren't the A-10's flown by mostly Marine Aviators?

I now return the thread

Sparrow...Actually, it is a 30mm can opener (not 37mm), and only the Air Force, AFRes and Air Guard fly Hogs. Marines never have except on exchange programs when they fly AF for a tour. Which range are you near?

Sparrow...Actually, it is a 30mm can opener (not 37mm), and only the Air Force, AFRes and Air Guard fly Hogs. Marines never have except on exchange programs when they fly AF for a tour. Which range are you near?

Well I used to watch them at the Warren Grove Practice range near Long Beach Island and those guys were air National Guard. If you want to stack enemy bodies up like cord wood the A-10 will get you through the day.

What do you mean by returning to start MDA.

You do realize you were still furloughed from mainline, right?

Initially yes. An agreement to open up our scope and allow 170's to be flown away from mainline was given in return for furloughed US pilots to fly them with some seniority, etc carried over. It was supposed to be a stand alone airline with it's own certificate. But it never happened. FAA said can't run it seperately.

When we were training the initial classes, FAA shut down training until US Pilot Handbooks and FOM's were used. We were also represented by AAA ALPA and had several MidAtlantic pilots as AAA officers. We argued that because it had started one way but was now something completely different, a formal recall needed to be done to set the list back to what it should be (ie a formal recall in seniority). Things were pretty messed up with guys out of seniority already flying Jet for Jobs at other carriers and trying to bid back to MDA only to be held at Mesa, etc. by Lyle Hogg. Our union MEC did not act correctly nor saw the issues with MDA with clarity because the company was trying to have things both ways. But the fact is you can't have two seperate airlines on the same certificate. When it was sold to Republic, there was a LOA with AAA ALPA stating if MDA is sold in total, the pilots and I believe the F/A's all go with US seniority, vaca, contract etc. Of course the company, who was already playing a shell game with MDA saying it is part of US when it suits them and was not when suits them, balked with the LOA. It went to an arbitrator. VP Gerry Glass said under oath MDA was simply a division or fleet type and therefore the co. was not required to give pilots the transfer provisions of the letter as if it were a seperate airline. Grievance was lost and US simply sold off it's 170 fleet.

So...you tell me. When was I recalled?

HD,
All great ideas that might pass majority vote. I do believe that the fortunate among us will make lots of noise to keep the multi decade long broken " seniority " system in place. As you said above " hey, you'll be senior some day ". Yeah right!
Then theirs this large group who believes minority should rule in certain situations. Yeah, that's the ticket.
As long as their is potential (sans a final court order ) for unjust compensation to the minority, the fight will continue IMO.
Thanks for your ideas.
FA

Pi...Not sure I follow your point. I am basing this idea on a starting point that regardless of your current pay (east or west), a scale would be designed so that all pilots would receive a raise. (Some more than others as the top paid pilots gain a smaller raise while bottom pilots come up more) It would take some real number crunching but can be done...I think. The fact that both east and west pay is so low and needs to increase to get even close to industry standard, gives the room to make the two scales work and still raise all pilots pay from todays position. It would simply mean the ultimate top pay rate would be lower than an old system new A330 pay rate might reach. It obviously would not work if anyone had to take a lower pay rate than they have right now.

And if the goal is to more fairly distribute total pilot pay how would that cause a DFR?

Well maybe it would work and I just need to see the numbers. It just seems with the tight range of LOS for the majority of the east that system would be giving most of the east a big raise unless you ran the scale out to 40 years. Then you would have some in what is now the top seat not making the top rate. I was hired mid'86 and the guys hired early '85 are around the bottom 76 capt. range, the guys a hired late '87 are 737 F/O range. So you would have that big of a gap making about the same money. Seems like it would have to be a pretty good chunk of money to make it even. As you said, with our small widebody fleet, a lot of guys will never make it to the top pay. Thing is, the company is not going to want to pay us all as if we will get there and that would have to come from other rates. Maybe if it was gradually implemented. The good news is that I have no authority and no one listens to me so you don't have to convince me!

Pi, you touched on something we agree on. Given the makeup of the fleet - a few big airplanes and a few 190's with everything else being the same pay - the company is not going to pay enough to give that big middle group much of a raise. Heck, just take east TOS and do the math to get the weighted average TOS pay now - it'd probably be no more than $130/hour for captains. To bring that up to current A330 pay at TOS would be a huge increase in pilot payroll just for the east.

That's before considering the huge amount of training such a change would entail.

And then there's that DFR aspect we've discussed before. It's one thing to negotiate pay scales that pay people the same for doing the same job with the same longevity even if east pilots benefit more that west, but quite another to negotiate pay scales that pay east pilots more than west pilots because longevity predominately favors east pilots. That crosses the line into DFR territory, just as paying by any other factor that results in one side making more than the other.
Jim

Pi, you touched on something we agree on. Given the makeup of the fleet - a few big airplanes and a few 190's with everything else being the same pay - the company is not going to pay enough to give that big middle group much of a raise. Heck, just take east TOS and do the math to get the weighted average TOS pay now - it'd probably be no more than $130/hour for captains. To bring that up to current A330 pay at TOS would be a huge increase in pilot payroll just for the east.

That's before considering the huge amount of training such a change would entail.

And then there's that DFR aspect we've discussed before. It's one thing to negotiate pay scales that pay people the same for doing the same job with the same longevity even if east pilots benefit more that west, but quite another to negotiate pay scales that pay east pilots more than west pilots because longevity predominately favors east pilots. That crosses the line into DFR territory, just as paying by any other factor that results in one side making more than the other.
Jim

Pi and BoeingBoy...I agree the devil is in the details. I don't have enough info nor math skills to formally work through an example other than in the abstract. I use the examples from say UPS or Southwest. They have two scales, Left and Right seat only, which seems to more fairly divide the pie.

I look at it from the big picture. Once we settle on a combined pilot pay amount from the co using the old system, the question becomes how do we divide the pie? If a regular approach costs x amount each year, the question becomes can you make two scales that have a top rate that still gives a raise to the existing top tier pilots and build it to stay with in those costs (X) and pull up the entire combined list.

I think due to the raises we want to bring us up to near standard pay, there is enough money to do that. Does a 15 year scale or a 30 year scale work? Obviously no scale will work if it penalizes or cuts existing pay. But SWA has a top out at what $230/hr? and the lower pay rates are very good compared to our East or West existing rates. If SW can pay those rates with no wide bodies then we should also be able to come close to that. Even if we have to top out at say $200/hr, if all our capts are paid that or will get to that rate it is better than what we have now with only a lucky few ever getting top of scale.

Still do not see how a DFR would be warrented if ALL pilots receive a raise and ALL pilots have access to the top rates.

Latest posts