A new corporate culture!?

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
1,429
2
www.usaviation.com
Hopefully now with Super Dave in charge and our wounds healing (slowly), there will be a real change in our corporate culture. I have noticed it in the real world out on the line and seems to be picking up steam. I think our new investors think so too.[BR][BR][A href=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/companies/4160558.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/companies/4160558.htm[/A][BR][BR]Maybe we can say we work for US Airways and be as proud as when we used the P word! (not quite )
 

AOG-N-IT

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
1,132
1
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/27/2002 8:12:23 AM a320av8r wrote:

Hopefully now with Super Dave in charge and our wounds healing (slowly), there will be a real change in our corporate culture. I have noticed it in the real world out on the line and seems to be picking up steam. I think our new investors think so too.


http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...ies/4160558.htm


Maybe we can say we work for US Airways and be as proud as when we used the P word! (not quite )
----------------
[/blockquote]
I'll assume that P-word wasn't just Profit? .....I hear you man!! I hope this place changes in alot of ways. I think the ground-work is being laid , if we just give it a chance to work? That's a very key issue. Past is past....and Was just was. [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif']
 

AP Tech

Veteran
Sep 4, 2002
1,661
246
I would like to know where you are noticing this change, maybe at the top and its working its way down slowly. I too work on the front line and what I mostly observe is the morale of the employee's is at an all time low. Its tough to get a CSA who is getting furloughed to really care. The IAM members say the same, the contract was voted in and now the furlough's are going up. Its may take a long while (6+ yrs) for these wounds to heal!
 

UAL777flyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
730
0
I think it's going to be difficult to notice any large changes in culture until US Airways gets closer to emergence from Chapter 11. There is still a swirl of uncertainty around. As necessary as the pay/benefit cuts were, employees still feel lousy about them because in their minds, there is no progress from their sacrifice yet. But as the company gets closer to restructuring and emergence from Chapter 11, and as their prospects improve and continue to get noticed by the public/Wall Street, I'd expect morale to improve and culture change to become easier to implement.
 
OP
A

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
1,429
2
www.usaviation.com
Thats because you're in PIT.
It's time to get over the steel mill mentality of head to head confrontation with management and enter the enlightened world of cooperation...

Time for some cool southern hospitality!
 
OP
A

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
1,429
2
www.usaviation.com
If Pit is perceived as a hard headed head butting labor force...

Perceived as?

That's the problem, PIT IS a hard headed...

That's just part of the culture of the PIT area, everything from football to business is that way. That's also why most businesses have moved south.
 

cavalier

Veteran
Aug 28, 2002
2,409
1
www.usaviation.com
Thats because you're in PIT.
It's time to get over the steel mill mentality of head to head confrontation with management and enter the enlightened world of cooperation...

Time for some cool southern hospitality!

Too bad one little sentence won't change years of culture. I do hope the attitude does change because I really believe attitude could play heavy on future maintenance considerations. If Pit is perceived as a hard headed head butting labor force, U's management could easily make it a line only station in these times of much change. Pit has proven itself; it can accomplish required maintenance in record time, so there is hope. Time heals and when people see positive changes occurring attitudes will soften. Being a Pit A&P and having worked with guys from all over the country at different times, I know Pit does NOT stand alone in less than desirable attitudes. People are people everywhere. Look at the records, when times are tough Pit seems to produce when others simply don't! Pit is not unique with attitude.
 

AP Tech

Veteran
Sep 4, 2002
1,661
246
Well I hate to burst your bubble but here in Pit we now have quite a few southern & western transplants who have not yet learned the steel mill mentality. A person can only be stepped on so much and if you do not have the mentality to realize it what can I say....
 

UAL777flyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
730
0
It's all about attitude. Human nature tells us that people rarely ever change. They become creatures of habit. As such, individuals with bad attitudes and lots of negativity most likely will not change no matter what happens to your airline or who is in charge. Some will, but most won't. So they either leave on their own for greener pastures if they can find them, they get terminated, or they continue to poison any attempts at changing the culture by infecting their workplace with their bad attitude and pessimism. The bad attitudes exist everywhere. They're not just confined to one geographical area. For US Airways to truly change its culture, not only do you need great leadership from the top down, but your leadership must emphasize that those bad attitudes won't be tolerated anymore and root out any individuals who won't get with the program, no matter how painful. That is what CO did. It took some time, but it worked.
 

Chock

Member
Sep 9, 2002
15
0
If you think morale is low now, just wait till next week when the the AMT's receive their new pay rates!
 

Meriel

Member
Aug 19, 2002
63
0
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 9/27/2002 12:02:00 PM UAL777flyer wrote:
[P]... There is still a swirl of uncertainty around.  As necessary as the pay/benefit cuts were, employees still feel lousy about them because in their minds, there is no progress from their sacrifice yet.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Some of that uncertainty, too, is bound to be that some groups never saw any progress from their sacrifices until they unionized. Those years left a scar and it's going to take a long time to get past it.[/P]
[P]On a very positive note, my husband's station came in the top 10 last month -- top 10 what, I don't quite understand -- but the result of this achievement was a cookout with hamburgers and corporate weenies. [/P]
[P] [/P]
[P]What I did get from my dear, however, was his feeling from these corporate folks that they regret the paycuts and they regret the loss of benefits -- and while those things are gone and won't be recouped anytime soon, the company does want to show its support for employees and the jobs done (as long as this support doesn't cost much... there not being much spare cash laying around for that sort of thing).[/P]
[P]Which, got me to thinking... if you were the boss, and you don't really have hard dollars to spend on attaboys/girls ... what would you do to show appreciation and bolster morale?[/P]
 

Chock

Member
Sep 9, 2002
15
0
QUESTION: Which, got me to thinking... if you were the boss, and you don't really have hard dollars to spend on attaboys/girls ... what would you do to show appreciation and bolster morale?

ANSWER: PE1's
 

flaptrack

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
141
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/27/2002 1:52:46 PM UAL777flyer wrote:

It's all about attitude. Human nature tells us that people rarely ever change. They become creatures of habit. As such, individuals with bad attitudes and lots of negativity most likely will not change no matter what happens to your airline or who is in charge. Some will, but most won't. So they either leave on their own for greener pastures if they can find them, they get terminated, or they continue to poison any attempts at changing the culture by infecting their workplace with their bad attitude and pessimism. The bad attitudes exist everywhere. They're not just confined to one geographical area. For US Airways to truly change its culture, not only do you need great leadership from the top down, but your leadership must emphasize that those bad attitudes won't be tolerated anymore and root out any individuals who won't get with the program, no matter how painful. That is what CO did. It took some time, but it worked.
----------------
[/blockquote]


Of course you know that you spend much time (me too) speaking to the 1% of aviation workers who are on this board. Your posts are well thought out ----- but you still use the logic of why don't you just leave. Would YOU just leave? Or are these people proud and scared and concerned about their avocation? Or are they the only ones who will speak up on how they feel?. Did you ever take a leadership role? Or did you just sit back and take your pay as a pilot (assuption you are a pilot?). Maybe YOU need to get in a management role and put your ideas to work. Maybe YOU need to make a positive impact for the company. Something to think about.

Regards,
 

757fixer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
226
2
Hey,I work in that same top 10 station,and us slugs on midnights that keep the place running while 90% of the employees are home sleeping didn't even get a thank you.So much for a change in corprate culture.I'm not impressed Dave!