A New Update From The IAM 2/25/06

(PineyBob @ Feb 25 2006, 06:22 PM) I happen to think the IAM's position has merit, that if an election happens there is a very real risk that decertification will occur.

I couldn’t agree more with this statement! I said this in an earlier thread. Enough with the TWU bashing and IAM bashing…if the NMB rules on an election, we need to get our folks out to vote, period! As I mentioned before, both Unions have trouble getting the “Vote-outâ€￾, "Decertification is a strong contender."

When will some of you diehard iam'ers state what you can do for the membership? I don't want to hear about how the iam has the best pension plan on the planet because we all know that is a lie. What are you going to do for us concerning our pay , seniority, furloughed employees, and 401k match? Answer those questions and stop harping on your pension plan that isn't better than HP's 401k match.

Jimmy,
Nice thread. Thanks for posting the information. The opening paragraph just totally blows my mind.

"Dear Sisters and Brothers:

The Transport Workers Union’s (TWU) campaign to end union representation for Fleet Service Workers at the new US Airways continues"

Now exactly where in any public statement has TWU stated their goal was decertification? NO PLACE!

I happen to think the IAM's position has merit, that if an election happens there is a very real risk that decertification will occur.

But you read their communications to their members and it's like reading Pravda during the cold war. Why not tell the folks why IAM is a better choice. I'm sure that IAM does some good for some somewhere. Tout the positive instead of telling everyone that the TWU is evil incarnate.

http://local580.twuatd.org/news/

You can read the second letter put out by the TWU dated 2/14/06.

It kind of says it all. They know they are jepordizing the entire Fleet Service group just by calling for an election and they still went ahead with it.

In my eyes they are no better than the company. :down:

When will some of you diehard iam'ers state what you can do for the membership? I don't want to hear about how the iam has the best pension plan on the planet because we all know that is a lie. What are you going to do for us concerning our pay , seniority, furloughed employees, and 401k match? Answer those questions and stop harping on your pension plan that isn't better than HP's 401k match.

I am not a die hard IAM'er as you state. Just someone smart enough to know what happens when we get de-certified, I've been through it once and that's the last time I'd want to experience that. Within 6 months of de-cert. there wasn't one shred of our contract that they didn't touch, try working for 9 years on Christmas day and July 4th with no holiday pay, it was bad believe me.
As a matter of fact, I personally think our IAM contract sucks, except for the pension the rest is really horrible.
But if Doug Parker's comments in the last US News mean anything to you, he makes it clear when asked about whether he favors one union over the other by saying he could care less, but one thing is certain, costs must remain the same.
So if he becomes our LEAD NEGOTIATOR for FLEET SERVICE, how much do you think he will be willing to give you.
My guess is absolutely nothing.

We all just need to be smart about this because it will have serious implications on our futures.
I think everyone is just rushing in to this whole thing without really realizing what the end result will be.
And to those who think we will be able to get somewhere around 4000 people of thier a%$#s to vote, they are really dreaming. Remember the east has some 1500 to 2000 people on furlough eligible to vote, how many do you think will even consider sending in the ballot if you can even find them?

I am not a die hard IAM'er as you state. Just someone smart enough to know what happens when we get de-certified, I've been through it once and that's the last time I'd want to experience that. Within 6 months of de-cert. there wasn't one shred of our contract that they didn't touch, try working for 9 years on Christmas day and July 4th with no holiday pay, it was bad believe me.
As a matter of fact, I personally think our IAM contract sucks, except for the pension the rest is really horrible.
But if Doug Parker's comments in the last US News mean anything to you, he makes it clear when asked about whether he favors one union over the other by saying he could care less, but one thing is certain, costs must remain the same.
So if he becomes our LEAD NEGOTIATOR for FLEET SERVICE, how much do you think he will be willing to give you.
My guess is absolutely nothing.

We all just need to be smart about this because it will have serious implications on our futures.
I think everyone is just rushing in to this whole thing without really realizing what the end result will be.
And to those who think we will be able to get somewhere around 4000 people of thier a%$#s to vote, they are really dreaming. Remember the east has some 1500 to 2000 people on furlough eligible to vote, how many do you think will even consider sending in the ballot if you can even find them?
I thought that the furloughs wouldnt be allowed to vote? I thought I had read that somewheres. but overall it will be impossible to get 4000 votes.

I thought that the furloughs wouldnt be allowed to vote? I thought I had read that somewheres. but overall it will be impossible to get 4000 votes.

From everything I've seen and read, furloughed employees WILL be eligible to vote...I'd love to be wrong on this one!

The way the NMB works, is that you are eligible to vote if you have recall rights under your contract.

Jimmy,

It's nice to have a civil discussion free from the "Noise" that is on here sometimes.

I just can't bring myself to publicly support the IAM position because of what happened in PHL and those on here who act as apologists for the action. I remain unconvinced that this wasn't orchestrated from higher up.

That being said I think TWU is probably looking to force some sort of power sharing arrangement similar to CWA-IBT. They have admitted the risk publicly, as you pointed out.

Either that or they think the IAM is ripe to be voted out and are making a grab at the whole pie instead of sharing it.

Nothing else makes sense to me unless it's just raw ego or the folks at HP really hate the IAM that much that they are willing to risk de-certification.
Piney...IMO.. I believe we have a classic situation of 2 unions vying for control over work groups who are in an obviously BAD situation...The IAM does not want to lose their "easy" dues money from 4,000+ workers, and, obviously, the IBT would love to add those numbers to their ranks.....Decertification.....AHHH the scrare-word of the IAM....after 2 BK's, and countless concessionary contracts, if the IAM is de-certified, then U will automatically put AMT's at 15 bucks an hour ;) ;) Right....
I think the real reason certain people are concerned, is that certain work groups, oh....maybe stock clerks for example, may get knocked down to an industy-wide average salary of $9-$13/hour....not the top out of 16 or so in the current environment...

Oh, sorry...I digress..I'm being an elitist, and anti-union again, not a rational thinker...whatever came over me???? :oops:

Jimmy,

It's nice to have a civil discussion free from the "Noise" that is on here sometimes.

I just can't bring myself to publicly support the IAM position because of what happened in PHL and those on here who act as apologists for the action. I remain unconvinced that this wasn't orchestrated from higher up.

That being said I think TWU is probably looking to force some sort of power sharing arrangement similar to CWA-IBT. They have admitted the risk publicly, as you pointed out.

Either that or they think the IAM is ripe to be voted out and are making a grab at the whole pie instead of sharing it.

Nothing else makes sense to me unless it's just raw ego or the folks at HP really hate the IAM that much that they are willing to risk de-certification.

Like I said before, the TWU is no better then the company if they force an election period.
The risk is too high and the consequences for us are very real.

They know it and they say they are looking out for us, what a joke.

I am by no means a fan of the IAM, but like I said before, we will be dead in the water without a union!

Piney...IMO.. I believe we have a classic situation of 2 unions vying for control over work groups who are in an obviously BAD situation...The IAM does not want to lose their "easy" dues money from 4,000+ workers, and, obviously, the IBT would love to add those numbers to their ranks.....Decertification.....AHHH the scrare-word of the IAM....after 2 BK's, and countless concessionary contracts, if the IAM is de-certified, then U will automatically put AMT's at 15 bucks an hour ;) ;) Right....
I think the real reason certain people are concerned, is that certain work groups, oh....maybe stock clerks for example, may get knocked down to an industy-wide average salary of $9-$13/hour....not the top out of 16 or so in the current environment...

Oh, sorry...I digress..I'm being an elitist, and anti-union again, not a rational thinker...whatever came over me???? :oops:
Very true..........both unions would love to have the members and along with the members, the dues. Not only may the M&R contract be cleaned up but there will be/may be additions to that contract from the west who has a number of currently non represented employees who will be/may be accreded into a union situation. I would like to see a clean M&R contract......those employees who are truly related to maintenance. And the only way that will happen, is if members VOTE!!

And if I am correct, there are a number of stipulations regarding furloughed employees and their eligibility to vote. Time furloughed, working for another airline, no reasonable expectation to return to work.......and I'm sure there are others.

Not only may the M&R contract be cleaned up but there will be/may be additions to that contract from the west who has a number of currently non represented employees who will be/may be accreded into a union situation. I would like to see a clean M&R contract......those employees who are truly related to maintenance.

this will be, someday, the wave of the future in aviation...it has to be....separating the AMT's from the ramp, utility, and stock clerk classes.....It will happen one day....If only there is some foresight

The ramp is all ready seperate from the AMTs.

Don't let the facts get in your way.

It is called mechanic and related for a reason, class and craft.

Amfa all ready tried several times to get rid of the and relateds and were unsucessful.

The ramp is all ready seperate from the AMTs.

Don't let the facts get in your way.

It is called mechanic and related for a reason, class and craft.

Amfa all ready tried several times to get rid of the and relateds and were unsucessful.
I never once mentioned AMFA.....You did....Worried?

Not letting any facts get in my way...Once again, I'll say what I said previously....If I have your permission to digress, 700, of course.

OK, the RAMP is seperate, I was wrong....Tying union contracts with other groups on the backs of the AMT's will come to an end.....An AMT has much more schooling, and something called maybe just a little responsibility involved in his or her job, that makes them deserving of being separated from someone who cleans toilets, or delivers parts. I know I will be chastised for this, but, hey.....It's the damn truth!!

GOOD DAY!!!

Latest posts