A/P mechanic jumpseating on AA

Oct 3, 2019
Jetblue,Southwest,Alaska,Frontier allow mechanics to jumpseat.
United use to also but was taken away with the merger with Continental.
So why was it taken away at AA.

We never had it as far as I can remember.
Pilot group are not too keen to the idea. It's about reciprocating benefits with other pilots from other airlines that need rides home.
Sometime back just after 2003 a exploratory group from the TWU tried to get us FDJS. All the excuses about FAA and 911 being reasons were debunked. It ended up being the flight department at the upper management level who are road blocking AMT'S from riding up front. There you have it. The truth be told.

They don't mind putting you up there - when it works for them though, like on field trips.

They don't mind putting you up there - when it works for them though, like on field trips.
I recall in the past a guy had to ride for a field trip and refused the FDJS and ended up getting a F/C seat.
Unfortunately if I decide to go this route today the company will ask the next guy in line and he will go. That's the kind of solidarity we don't have.

Reactions: 787nightmare
At the very least, Aircraft Mechanics should be able to ride F/A jumpseats if no other seats are available......Don't understand why we can't! If we are competent to replace door slides, we should know what to do in an emergency....AA's Flight Attendants are completely against anyone else but them using their jumpseats.

At the very least, Aircraft Mechanics should be able to ride F/A jumpseats if no other seats are available......Don't understand why we can't! If we are competent to replace door slides, we should know what to do in an emergency....AA's Flight Attendants are completely against anyone else but them using their jumpseats.

Politics...

Reactions: 787nightmare

It really doesn't have anything to do with safety and who can or cannot operate a door in an emergency. It's a stipulation in the flight attendants' contract that the APFA controls cabin jumpseats and who can sit on them. They (the union) stipulated that only flight attendants could occupy a cabin jumpseat (means that on most a/c there is at least 1 jumpseat available to commuting flight attendants)

Also, if a flight attendant crew is deadheading back to base (doesn't matter whether it's a scheduled deadhead or a broken sequence) the gate agents can require deadheading flight attendants to sit on a jumpseat before passengers are bumped to accommodate them.

Last edited:
Do you always feel so inferior?
that would be yes
You two have a real flair for fantasy.

AMT’s should see the benefit of not being at the negotiating table with Fleet Service and realize the profound loss of Dignity and Respect by being called “ground workers”.
Don't get mad just because I called some of the aircraft mechanics out on their BS.

If you ask me YOU guys are the ones with the inferiority complex because you are always worried about what someone else has.

AMT envy.....we get it.
If you say so.

I'll try to keep my envy under control as I

Work from home
Have more vacation time
Have more paid holidays
Weekends off
Take vacation when I want instead of seniority dictating my vacation time
Work in comfort under climate control
Have a choice of employer instead of being a slave to UNION seniority

Yeah I am real envious..... :rolleyes:

Like I said you are talented at spinning fantasy.

Don't get mad because I pointed out hypocrisy.

Latest posts