A pleasant surprise

rvolkcpa

Advanced
Aug 30, 2002
In February my wife flew from ABE to TPA for a long weekend with her parents. She was booked to fly home on February 13th on a 5pm flight to CLT connecting to ABE. Because of a winter storm she called US Airways reservations and was rebooked to a 2:10 pm flight via PHL. She was charged an increased fare of $134.50 but not the $100 change fee. When my wife arrived at the airport, she learned at the gate that the PHL flight was delayed and that all flights from PHL to ABE were cancelled. She was rebooked on a CLT flight and arrived in ABE on her original flight. The gate agent could not refund the $134.50 fare increase my wife had paid, but gave her the address for customer relations in Phoenix.

My wife sent a letter on February 16th, requesting a refund of the fare differential. Months went by and she heard nothing. Today my wife was checking her US Airways Master Card account on line and found a credit for the $134.50.

We think this demonstrates that US Airways is trying to address customer service issues. The refund brightened our day and restored our confidence in US Airways.

In February my wife flew from ABE to TPA for a long weekend with her parents. She was booked to fly home on February 13th on a 5pm flight to CLT connecting to ABE. Because of a winter storm she called US Airways reservations and was rebooked to a 2:10 pm flight via PHL. She was charged an increased fare of $134.50 but not the $100 change fee. When my wife arrived at the airport, she learned at the gate that the PHL flight was delayed and that all flights from PHL to ABE were cancelled. She was rebooked on a CLT flight and arrived in ABE on her original flight. The gate agent could not refund the $134.50 fare increase my wife had paid, but gave her the address for customer relations in Phoenix.

My wife sent a letter on February 16th, requesting a refund of the fare differential. Months went by and she heard nothing. Today my wife was checking her US Airways Master Card account on line and found a credit for the $134.50.

We think this demonstrates that US Airways is trying to address customer service issues. The refund brightened our day and restored our confidence in US Airways.
As an employee, I am happy they did the right thing too, sorry it took so long! :up: :up: Thanks for sticking with US!!!

Are you kidding me? You are pleased because they fulfilled their legal obligation?
Debby Downer makes a comeback! I Thank them for taking the time to write on this forum a POSITIVE POST!
US1yfare, CAN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING NICE ABOUT US??!!
IF NO, TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE! :up:

As an employee, I am happy they did the right thing too, sorry it took so long! :up: :up: Thanks for sticking with US!!!

Wow, why did it take so long?

Let me see here:

1: Federally mandated refund.

2: Shorted four months interest at 5% per day, compounded, but, I bet that non-refunded interest shows up the US quarterly report, somewhere.

Look, maybe you are ecstatic when night follows day but many of us have, apparently, galactically higher standards than you.

Wow, why did it take so long?

Let me see here:

1: Federally mandated refund.

2: Shorted four months interest at 5% per day, compounded, but, I bet that non-refunded interest shows up the US quarterly report, somewhere.

Look, maybe you are ecstatic when night follows day but many of us have, apparently, galactically higher standards than you.
This person took the time to write on this forum, and make a good compliment to our airline. As much as I agree and disagree with the posts, state my opinion, I respect this person for being nice enough to say, hey, I got my refund, and I have new confidence with US Airways!! This is good news. So why bash it?? They are the reason we fly!

I'm trying to figure out why she was charged an increased fare in the first place. It's weather AND it's same-day travel; otherwise, it would be $25, right?

I'm trying to figure out why she was charged an increased fare in the first place. It's weather AND it's same-day travel; otherwise, it would be $25, right?

Not if the change is over the phone. After that storm, an agent was "nice" enough to offer me a full refund on my fully refundable Y fare ticket because of all of the problems I had that day. :rolleyes: I guess I should have thanked that moron for doing what they had to do anyway. :rolleyes:

The flight was not cxld and for a confirmed seat ahead of time she paid the fare difference. The policy must have come from corporate that due to impending weather they would waive the 100.00 reissue fee but if the class of service was not avail the psgr would pay the additional fare. If the flight was cxld it would have been a reaccomodation with no fees rebooked on US again, if it was a weather issue. Chances of sb probably slim which is why the psgr opted for the confirmed seat with additional fare.