A question Please.

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
A family member asked me to pose this question to those in the WN 'know'.

Ok, here goes.
WN is interviewing, ( the 'IN' station interview, that's occuring After the 'telephone' interview), and they're going to select 4 candidates for FT, Customer Service positions, represented by the IAM.

All 4 get the same seniority/hire date. What is the IAM/WN protocol for determining company AND occupational Seniority between the 4 new hires ?? Thank You in advance !!

Ok, here goes.
WN is interviewing, ( the 'IN' station interview, that's occuring After the 'telephone' interview), and they're going to select 4 candidates for FT, Customer Service positions, represented by the IAM.

All 4 get the same seniority/hire date. What is the IAM/WN protocol for determining company AND occupational Seniority between the 4 new hires ?? Thank You in advance !!
Birth date

For mechanics hired with the same start date (not hire date), company seniority has been assigned alphabetically by last name.
For me, all seniority was assigned on the first day of work.

Last edited:

Ok, here goes.

Per the IAM contract between Southwest Airlines and IAM 142 Article 8-seniority if two or more employees have the same seniority date the older employee has seniority by birthdate hope this answers your question ! :)

THANK YOU to EVERYONE who took the time to answer my question !

Without having to Start Another thread, I'd like to discuss virtually anything about WN in Denver, For Gary Kelly to state that DEN will be the 'Crown Jewel' in the WN system, strongly intrigues me, AND I believe G K is correct in that statement ! To take legacy - UA head on, and give Frontier the least bit of concern, to me, speaks Volumes !!

THANK YOU to EVERYONE who took the time to answer my question !

Without having to Start Another thread, I'd like to discuss virtually anything about WN in Denver, For Gary Kelly to state that DEN will be the 'Crown Jewel' in the WN system, strongly intrigues me, AND I believe G K is correct in that statement ! To take legacy - UA head on, and give Frontier the least bit of concern, to me, speaks Volumes !!

Hey Bears. Denver will be huge. They are still hiring in Denver for mechanics. Matter fact just ran across some more new positions posted recently. We have also been told that SWA will have a hangar soon. Negotiations are on the way for either one of Frontiers or old Continental Hangars I forget which one. Then more hiring of mechanics. I know mechanics have nothing to do with your employment position question but just wanted to pass on some news we have been hearing on the floor in maint. here in Dallas. We have a lot x-Dallas mechanics in Denver now. Denver has been great for Southwest and we are hearing of more growth in the future there.

Hey Bears. Denver will be huge. They are still hiring in Denver for mechanics. Matter fact just ran across some more new positions posted recently. We have also been told that SWA will have a hangar soon. Negotiations are on the way for either one of Frontiers or old Continental Hangars I forget which one. Then more hiring of mechanics. I know mechanics have nothing to do with your employment position question but just wanted to pass on some news we have been hearing on the floor in maint. here in Dallas. We have a lot x-Dallas mechanics in Denver now. Denver has been great for Southwest and we are hearing of more growth in the future there.
The biggest hurdle was the city of Denver taxes you on parts aircraft parts inventory, they backed off of that some, to increase growth, it will be a huge market for us !

Reactions: 787nightmare
Thanx 'Driver, and AMT' ! I dam near shite a brick when I took a google earth overhead look of D I A. The massive amount of available land around the airport is 'scary', absolutely SCARY. For WN to 'waltz' into D I A, with no fear of UA, then not even give a shite about ultra low cost Frontier is MORE than Impressive !!! When WN decides to go into Canada, DEN is the perfect connecting hub for Winnipeg/Calgary/Edmonton/YVR/Regina/ANC/FAI (and YYZ and YUL from just west of the Mississippi). OAK could come into play for the west coast to YVR/ANC/FAI/YYC and YEG. Had you guys purchased the Max-7, WN would have been able to make HNL with a couple hundred miles to spare. (I do understand that WN bought the Max-8)
One complaint I have with a lot of WN mind set (but not all) is no regard for cold weather hubs like DEN and MDW, though it's not hard to HATE MDW.

Sitting (now) at #4, DEN, I can't wait to see them pass BWI/MDW, and most of all PHX. Like MDW, the DEN crews NEVER say....' Y'ALL ' !!!!!!!

Thanx 'Driver, and AMT' ! I dam near shite a brick when I took a google earth overhead look of D I A. The massive amount of available land around the airport is 'scary', absolutely SCARY. For WN to 'waltz' into D I A, with no fear of UA, then not even give a shite about ultra low cost Frontier is MORE than Impressive !!! When WN decides to go into Canada, DEN is the perfect connecting hub for Winnipeg/Calgary/Edmonton/YVR/Regina/ANC/FAI (and YYZ and YUL from just west of the Mississippi). OAK could come into play for the west coast to YVR/ANC/FAI/YYC and YEG. Had you guys purchased the Max-7, WN would have been able to make HNL with a couple hundred miles to spare. (I do understand that WN bought the Max-8)
One complaint I have with a lot of WN mind set (but not all) is no regard for cold weather hubs like DEN and MDW, though it's not hard to HATE MDW.

Sitting (now) at #4, DEN, I can't wait to see them pass BWI/MDW, and most of all PHX. Like MDW, the DEN crews NEVER say....' Y'ALL ' !!!!!!!
They have the Max 7 ,-on order which is basically a 737-700 size with more range, but if the economics do not make sense to the company, probably be converted to Max 8s, all depends on the economics of the airplane !

Sorry MDW#1,BWI#2, LAS#3, DEN #4, PHX, #5, DAL#6, forgot about PHX has more flights than Dallas!

B737, No need to say the word 'sorry', I mean I feel like a dunce for omitting LAS. Talk about Originating and DESTINATION passengers, OMG, plus LAS isn't a Hub in the sense that MDW/BWI and DEN are.

Also, a bit of speculation here, (from 'some' rumors i've heard, bouncing around about Frontier and Spirit becoming a single airline). I'd be SHOCKED if Gary Kelly & co. hadn't thought looooong and hard about that possible scenario before they made the huge commitment that they have with regard to DEN, and DEN being frontiers home, and Frontier very likely being the survivor in a hypothetical merger. Your thoughts plz.

Last edited: