A Question to my TWU brothers

B

bagsmasher

Guest
As AA is asking us for concessions, I have a few questions.
1) Does Southwest contract out it''s ramp at any of it''s stations?
2) Who handles your Freight facilities?
3) Do TWU members do the cleaning of overnight aircraft?
4) I see your trucks provisioning the flights with supplies. Does this happen at all stations?
I''m just asking because AA wants to contract out most stations other than it''s hubs. It also wants to contract out all of cabin service.
Thanks,
 

coolflyingfool

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
1,192
1
www.usaviation.com
I think I can answer #4. I fly on SWA a fair amount in PDX, AMA, MAF, and BOI where they don't have any of those big trucks but SWA employees do wheel up some stands and empty the trash and put on more cokes and peanuts.
 

WNjetdoc

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
532
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 8:43:14 PM bagsmasher wrote:

As AA is asking us for concessions, I have a few questions.

1) Does Southwest contract out it's ramp at any of it's stations?

2) Who handles your Freight facilities?

3) Do TWU members do the cleaning of overnight aircraft?

4) I see your trucks provisioning the flights with supplies. Does this happen at all stations?

I'm just asking because AA wants to contract out most stations other than it's hubs. It also wants to contract out all of cabin service.

Thanks,
----------------
[/blockquote]
Hey bagsmaher, I work for WN but not as a ramper. I will try to answer as best I can.....1) We do not contract out ramp at any station, as far as I know. 2) We handle our own freight, its a bid location for the ramp. 3) I know in BWI the overnight cleaning is contracted out. In some of the bigger stations I think its done inhouse, but not by TWU. On through flights the flight crew picks up the a/c. I have even seen a capt. or two using the carpet sweeper! 4)I think the previous poster replied to this one correctly. As the station grows the become a provo station and get the trucks......Also, some people think we have part time rampers, in an effort to keep costs down. We do not have any part time rampers, or employees. Hope this helps.
 

wwtraveler99

Member
Jan 31, 2003
94
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/8/2003 6:56:49 AM WNjetdoc wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 8:43:14 PM bagsmasher wrote:

As AA is asking us for concessions, I have a few questions.

1) Does Southwest contract out it's ramp at any of it's stations?

2) Who handles your Freight facilities?

3) Do TWU members do the cleaning of overnight aircraft?

4) I see your trucks provisioning the flights with supplies. Does this happen at all stations?

I'm just asking because AA wants to contract out most stations other than it's hubs. It also wants to contract out all of cabin service.

Thanks,
----------------
[/blockquote]
Hey bagsmaher, I work for WN but not as a ramper. I will try to answer as best I can.....1) We do not contract out ramp at any station, as far as I know. 2) We handle our own freight, its a bid location for the ramp. 3) I know in BWI the overnight cleaning is contracted out. In some of the bigger stations I think its done inhouse, but not by TWU. On through flights the flight crew picks up the a/c. I have even seen a capt. or two using the carpet sweeper! 4)I think the previous poster replied to this one correctly. As the station grows the become a provo station and get the trucks......Also, some people think we have part time rampers, in an effort to keep costs down. We do not have any part time rampers, or employees. Hope this helps.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Since I have worked on the ramp and I am currently a member of the TWU I think I can answer these questions.

1. No contract out of employees can occur if there is at least 12 flights at a station. This is only for new city openings.

2. At most station frieght is contracted out. Stations that handle our own cargo are staffed by an Operations/Freight Agent. In either case a ramp agent transports the cargo between the cargo and aircraft.

3. In the larger station cleaning is contracted. It really depends on the cost. From my understanding 3 or 4 overnight aircraft is where contracting usually begins.

3. Again it depends on the size. In small and some medium stations the Operations Agent will empty the trash and refill ice in the forward galley. The Ramp Agent will do the same in the aft. Any other than trash and ice is on request only. I don't know how it is decided on who get provosioning but I believe the following are the current provo station: LAX SJC OAK SMF SEA LAS PHX ABQ ELP HOU DAL MCI MDW STL BWI MCO TPA.

To WNjetdoc: According to the senority list we do have a few parttimers. Now this information can be wrong because I too thought we had only full time agents butagain the senority list reflects a few. (less than 10)
 

WNjetdoc

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
532
0
www.usaviation.com
wwtraveler, just goes to show you what I know....squat, lol. Thats why Im in mx. I told it how I knew it and how it is in my station....or thought it was, sorry "bagsmasher".
 
Mar 3, 2003
56
0
Hey Bags! What you doing over here? Looking for a new job? I don't think they are ready for someone of your great wit!!!! Signed, your old freind, Insp68!@ My good buddy, KC tirechanger!
 

wwtraveler99

Member
Jan 31, 2003
94
0
www.usaviation.com
WNjetdoc,

Just wanted to make sure the facts were correct. Hope you didn't take it a as dis. It was not meant to be.

I do have another question for you.

What do you know or have you heard about -200 retirements. Are some being postponed? The maintance web page has not be updated since 11/05/03. Just wondering if you know of any new info.
 

WNjetdoc

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
532
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/12/2003 10:10:21 AM wwtraveler99 wrote:

WNjetdoc,

Just wanted to make sure the facts were correct. Hope you didn't take it a as dis. It was not meant to be.

I do have another question for you.

What do you know or have you heard about -200 retirements. Are some being postponed? The maintance web page has not be updated since 11/05/03. Just wondering if you know of any new info.
----------------
[/blockquote]
WWtraveler, heck no, I was just messing around. No biggy what-so-ever friend. What I've heard about the -200's are they are scheduled to be all retired by '05. The cockpit door mods are done but we are not going to do the -200 since they are scheduled to be gone in a few years.