A321 Business Class?

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
So I'm wondering if this is the 321T. Flight 568 PHX-MCO, it shows 16 first, 4 business, and then the rest econ.

Anybody know if this is LUS metal? I'm thinking of delaying my departure to try this one out.

thanks in advance

A321T is used exclusively for transcons from JFK to LAX, SFO, and  (I think) SEA.  The seating configuration is 10 First Class, 20 Business Class, 36 Main Cabin Extra, and 36 Economy.

Could be a 757.  For some reason on some routes they designate some number of First Class Seats as Business Class seats.  I guess so they can sell them to someone who won't pay FC, but can afford something more than Coach.  When looking at the Non-Rev Trip Planner (NRTP), I have even seen MD-80 flights that designate 1 or 2 First Class Seat as Business Class.  On the airplane there is no difference in service or amenities.  And, this is not a few specific seats in FC.  It just means that some of the seats can be sold as Business Class.

You're right Jim. I looked again and there are only 12 FC, then the 4 business class. So the total is 16. I've never seen that done before.

jimntx said:
A321T is used exclusively for transcons from JFK to LAX, SFO, and  (I think) SEA.  The seating configuration is 10 First Class, 20 Business Class, 36 Main Cabin Extra, and 36 Economy.

Could be a 757.  For some reason on some routes they designate some number of First Class Seats as Business Class seats.  I guess so they can sell them to someone who won't pay FC, but can afford something more than Coach.  When looking at the Non-Rev Trip Planner (NRTP), I have even seen MD-80 flights that designate 1 or 2 First Class Seat as Business Class.  On the airplane there is no difference in service or amenities.  And, this is not a few specific seats in FC.  It just means that some of the seats can be sold as Business Class.

They should make some distinction is service.  Maybe plastic cups and utensils....cold, dry towels instead of hot towels....the possibilities are stunningly crude....just like the America West Airline we are becoming.

Reactions: 1 person
Justme said:
You're right Jim. I looked again and there are only 12 FC, then the 4 business class. So the total is 16. I've never seen that done before.
There have been a lot of glitches lately with seat maps - very annoying to us picky know-it-all frequent flyers who don't like surprises with seats.

Flight 568 is a plane vanilla LUS A321 with 16 domestic F seats. Those F seats are tons better than main cabin, but aren't worth changing your plans.

Oddly enough, the A321Ts have occasionally been flying some oddball short routes, like JFK-BOS, JFK-MIA and JFK-DFW.

Wonder if those oddball routes are the result of a 757 or A321 being out of position and an A321T being available for use, and the load being small enough that the majority of the passengers could be accommodated.  Though I'm sure I saw something in the past that said the T's would never be used for anything other than the transcons.

321s for AA are being bridged to the US maintenance program. The 321Ts since they are in limited markets LAX is the only CC station. The LAX - SFO legs were probably to get them to LAX for CC. DWH is the AA 321 bridge check station so some 321Ts may be on LAX - DFW trips.

jimntx said:
Wonder if those oddball routes are the result of a 757 or A321 being out of position and an A321T being available for use, and the load being small enough that the majority of the passengers could be accommodated.  Though I'm sure I saw something in the past that said the T's would never be used for anything other than the transcons.
I agree that at some point in the past, the airline made it clear that these planes would fly solely JFK-LAX/SFO, but with new management's philosophy of flying a different schedule every day of the week, on days when the transcon schedule is reduced, I can see the lure of flying a huge 100-seater instead of a normally configured plane if that 100-seater would otherwise sit idle. Expensive newish airplane makes zero money if it sits at LAX or JFK all day.

When someone asks if the A321Ts will fly CLT-LAX/SFO or PHL-CLT/SFO, I think it's accurate to say "nope, those routes will never get 3-class premium planes on a regular basis - only JFK-LAX/SFO will see them." Plus, of course, the random, occasional oddball routes discussed in this thread.

Justme said:
>> So I'm wondering if this is the 321T. Flight 568 PHX-MCO, it shows 16 first, 4 business, and then the rest econ <<

The 3 class 321Ts are numbered 783-799.  Check out the plane numbers.  321S is 16 standard 737 type FC seats and 165 coach.

MK

I've seen the business class availability pop up on several listings and I'm pretty sure not only on the 321.  I'm just assuming it's some sort of glitch.

ChrisUS said:
I've seen the business class availability pop up on several listings and I'm pretty sure not only on the 321.  I'm just assuming it's some sort of glitch.
I doubt it's a glitch.   It happens more often that just occasionally.  Certain flights on certain routes get some F/C inventory coded as Business every flight--even on S80's.  It's bound to be a marketing ploy of some sort.

Is it possible that this is sold as a direct flight from/to an International destination?   Say Dub-PHL-Mco or Ewr-CLT-Cun where a Business Class seat is sold or can be sold as a Thru Flight even though a connection is being made?