AA/Arpey sues Customer

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Here is another letter from Brother Santos exposing the hypocrisy of AA management.

Dear Mr Arpey,

I see we're suing a man called Wilfredo Torres. Something drove this man
to call you 200 times in a single day. Even so, we have a policy of not
suing our passengers. This is what flight attendants & gate agents are
told. Yet, AA is suing Mr Torres for tying up your phone lines. What
really irks me is when passengers attack/assault/harass/threaten our
frontline employees, workers are expected to take it in the chin.
However, when it comes to the sanctity of your telephone the
testosterone is surging in the legal department. This leaves employees
believing your phone is higher up on the evolutionary scale than workers.

An incident occurred where a flight attendant had her shoulder separated
by an irate passenger. The airplane diverted & the passenger removed.
Certainly this unwarranted attack would nudge AA legal to spring into
action . . . not exactly. After the passenger's employer picked up the
tab for the diversion, our lawyers returned to the golf course. So what
if a flight attendant was injured in an unprovoked attack. This may
violate the Geneva Convention but SmackDown at 30,000 feet is good for
business. Ultimately, the flight attendant had to seek justice in civil
court on her paltry salary.

Several years ago, a gate agent was verbally accosted by a platinum
passenger. As luck would have it (most of it bad luck), the incident was
witnessed by an exec, who viewed the world through spread sheets, &
brought charges against the agent. This poor girl was given the option
of a career day discipline or termination. There was no evidence. This
was about an exec exerting his influence to calm a ranting passenger.
She wouldn't submit to corporate intimidation & was fired. She
eventually got her job back when NYS interceded on her behalf & AA
couldn't prove its case for termination.

As gate agents unanimously tell me, in conflicts with passengers they
seek resolution with the captains rather than management. Management
would cheerfully let the characters from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre
board an airplane as long as they purchased tickets. Regrettably,
management is immersed in profits & numbers crunching to the extent that
they don't understand the human equation. I knew a mechanic who was spat
in the face by a passenger during a lengthy maintenance delay. This
wasn't worth a moment of our lawyers' time, but alarms rang in the legal
department when Mr Torres tied up your phone lines.

Mr Arpey, you won't find many employees sympathetic to the lawsuit
against Mr Torres, because AA isn't sympathetic when passengers
attack/assault/harass/threaten employees.

Sincerely,
G Santos
mechanic & burdening the sacrifice @ JFK
AMR shareholder

As Gary brought out it seems that passengers can physically assualt front line employess and AA will do nothing to protect them or seek justice for them but ring Arpey one too many times and the full financial power of a $20 billion/year airlines legal department will be brought down upon you.

Originally written by Mr Santos:

Mr Arpey, you won't find many employees sympathetic to the lawsuit against Mr Torres, because AA isn't sympathetic when passengers attack/assault/harass/threaten employees.

Well, I'm certain that Mr Arpey is gonna be all broken up about that. Newsflash for Mr Santos: Mr Arpey couldn't care less whether any AA employees are sympathetic to the lawsuit, nor should he, since it doesn't concern them.

If Mr Arpey cared about Mr Santos' opinion on this matter, I'm certain he'd have called Mr Santos. B)

Not that it matters, but is there any evidence that Mr Torres the Nutjob has ever been a passenger?

Newsflash for Mr Santos: Mr Arpey couldn't care less whether any AA employees are sympathetic to the lawsuit, nor should he, since it doesn't concern them.

If Mr Arpey cared about Mr Santos' opinion on this matter, I'm certain he'd have called Mr Santos. B)

Thats the point, Arpey doesnt care about the employees. That fact should be taken into consideration when he goes around with his cheap slogans like "Pull together, win together". There is no "together".

Arpey is an A** Hole and has no backbone! Down with Arpey and his crooks at HQ!

I picked up a 757 at LGA the other day. This plane was inbound from MIA and they had a pax met by PAPD and AA Corporate Security. This pax pushed a flight attendant because they refused to serve her any more alcohol. This pax was clearly wasted when PAPD spoke to her on the jetbridge. Did AA have her arrested? NO! The flight attendant now has to fight her in civil court for assault.

This company is a piece of crAAp!

The holidays are just around the corner Arpey!!

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='408345' date='Aug 20 2006, 08:18 PM']Arpey is an A** Hole and has no backbone! Down with Arpey and his crooks at HQ!

I picked up a 757 at LGA the other day. This plane was inbound from MIA and they had a pax met by PAPD and AA Corporate Security. This pax pushed a flight attendant because they refused to serve her any more alcohol. This pax was clearly wasted when PAPD spoke to her on the jetbridge. Did AA have her arrested? NO! The flight attendant now has to fight her in civil court for assault.

The holidays are just around the corner Arpey!![/quote]

Well, meeting flights for a debrief, I have seen a lot of these situations. In some cases the pax is wrong, and in some cases the FA is wrong. Both confirmed by other pax statements. Just as a listener, I tend to believe the other pax rather than either primary party.

Once, a cop meeting the plane muttered, "felony rudeness".

I would hope that passengers who assault airline employees would be prosecuted by the authorities. Criminal charges don't depend on the victim's employer pushing the issue. As a former prosecutor, I charged individuals when there was probable cause to do so and sufficient evidence to likely get a conviction. Never presented with any cases involving pax assaults on airline employees.

Failure by the authorities to arrest and prosecute might mean the case was weak. Might be lazy cops. Could be any number of factors. But now it's AA's fault? Good grief.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='408345' date='Aug 20 2006, 08:18 PM']Arpey is an A** Hole and has no backbone! Down with Arpey and his crooks at HQ!

The holidays are just around the corner Arpey!![/quote]

Oh no here we go again with the Flight Attendant Holiday Threats.

And If I am not correct please feel free to correct me. AA can not have anyone arrested. They can not tell the police to arrest this person just on the word of a crew member. They can and did request that the police meet the flight, then after questions asked and answered it is up to the police officer to arrest or not to arrest.

Oh no here we go again with the Flight Attendant Holiday Threats.

And If I am not correct please feel free to correct me. AA can not have anyone arrested. They can not tell the police to arrest this person just on the word of a crew member. They can and did request that the police meet the flight, then after questions asked and answered it is up to the police officer to arrest or not to arrest.

With 9 witnesses on the jetbridge siding with the flight attendant, you would think they would have arrested her.

But, no! The AA Corporate Security idiot didn't want to pursue it. He probably said "sorry for what happened, let me put 30,000 miles into your AAdvantage account."

Then blame the PAPD. In your earlier post, you mentioned their involvement. Police don't sit there waiting for the go-ahead from AA corporate security to arrest people who assault flight attendants.

Thats the point, Arpey doesnt care about the employees. That fact should be taken into consideration when he goes around with his cheap slogans like "Pull together, win together". There is no "together".

ReAAly?

The pro management Kool Aid drinkers who post hear think Arpey is the nest thing since sliced bread!

ReAAly?

The pro management Kool Aid drinkers who post hear think Arpey is the nest thing since sliced bread!

It is up to the f/a to have the person arrested. Actually, the jurisdiction is established where the incident took place. If you were hit over Va., the US Attorney in Va. should prosecute. If proper debriefs are written, the FAA will pursue the issue and at the very least fine the individual. I helped write the assault policy for TWA and we wrote a "no tolerance" policy with support (in writing) from mangt. including pay for necessary time off. It is true that civil suit is the way to be compensated for an injury or lost time. The rule of thumb on airline incidents is if the door is closed when the incident happens, it is federal. Door open, local. The Company should never interfere except to insure that all reports needed for the FAA are properly filled out. I would LOVE to take on the Co for hindering the prosecution of someone physically touching a f/a.

Then blame the PAPD. In your earlier post, you mentioned their involvement. Police don't sit there waiting for the go-ahead from AA corporate security to arrest people who assault flight attendants.

Can't blame PAPD. It happened in the air and that is now a Federal issue. AA would have to have her arrested for the assault. Then PAPD would take her into custody. So, yes they will wait for AA corporate security to give the go-ahead.

I hope she enjoys her free 30,000 miles that AA probably out in her AAdvantage account.

Noresta if this actually happened and the Police were called to the plane then tell me the flight number and I will look it up and read the notes on any incidents that occured on that particular flight.

If the police were called it will be documented

It was one of three flights 1934...2110.....1072

just give me the date

this is all total speculation. Why dont you ask the Flight Attendant that was assaulted to comment on this issue. Or how about the Captain to give his side. All I hear so far from you is third party non sense.

If AA puts pressure on the F/A to not Press CHarges on Said Passenger than shame on them. If the Flight Attendant did not want to press charges than that is up to them. But we will never know unless we hear from the Flight Attendant in question.

I was on the jetbridge when the f/a and pilot gave their statements. Yes, the flight attendant is going to file charges against the woman. She was in the crew room today and told some folks she was filing.

So, now get back to work and make sure you have enough crews to staff the flights. With the 3 month PLOA's and the holidays fast approaching, you're going to need all the help you can get. Thanksgiving week will be a great this year!!

operaations, check your PM's.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='408476' date='Aug 21 2006, 02:22 AM']I was on the jetbridge when the f/a and pilot gave their statements. Yes, the flight attendant is going to file charges against the woman. She was in the crew room today and told some folks she was filing.

So, now get back to work and make sure you have enough crews to staff the flights. With the 3 month PLOA's and the holidays fast approaching, you're going to need all the help you can get. Thanksgiving week will be a great this year!![/quote]

More Holiday threats from Noresta

incase you have failed to notice...the only undue stress you cause during the Holidays is not any one in uppermanagement

they are home with their families. You only hurt your fellow flight attendants that have the integrity to come into work during the holiday they are scheduled for. And you hurt all front line employees with your nonsense. The end resuelt is the flights still operate at FAA min.

Latest posts