AA ..............CA$H ON HAND ?

My guess is $5.9 billion of unrestricted cash, and that is impressive considering that AA paid down a bunch of debt late last year and will announce that it recently made a large pension plan contribution already in 2007.

Huge pile of cash plus the ability to borrow a few billion if necessary (in the much-anticipated NWA buyout) - AA is gonna be ok for a while.

My guess is $5.9 billion of unrestricted cash, and that is impressive considering that AA paid down a bunch of debt late last year and will announce that it recently made a large pension plan contribution already in 2007.

Huge pile of cash plus the ability to borrow a few billion if necessary (in the much-anticipated NWA buyout) - AA is gonna be ok for a while.

5.9 billion versus 20 billion - that is a big difference... I dont think they paid down that much debt and still behind on those dangling pensions.. dont bet on NWA.. There may not be any mergers or buyouts and all stand alones... That of course would be AA worst nightmare..

5.9 billion versus 20 billion - that is a big difference

Really? Do you have 25% of the outstanding balance on your mortgage in savings? That's essentially what AMR has, considering that long term debt is exactly that -- debt that isn't due for another 5 to 15 years.

I'll go with $6.0B and $200M in pension contributions.

I'm gonna take a "shot" and say, AA will report $ 9 Billion, cash on hand.

I'm probably a bit high, but "what the HEL*" !!

Whats your guess(s) ??

NH/BB's
Cash on hand is $13.00 :shock:

Oh you mean AMR, I thought you wanted to know my cash on hand. :p

Well it will be $192 million less than it could be thanks to the bone-us. ;)

$6.4 billion

AMR ended 2006 with $5.2 billion in cash and short-term investments, including a restricted balance of $468 million, compared to a balance of $4.3 billion in cash and short-term investments at the end of 2005, including a restricted balance of $510 million.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070117/daw009.html?.v=90

AMR ended 2006 with $5.2 billion in cash and short-term investments, including a restricted balance of $468 million, compared to a balance of $4.3 billion in cash and short-term investments at the end of 2005, including a restricted balance of $510 million.

The Company reduced total debt, which includes the principal amount of airport facility tax-exempt bonds and the present value of aircraft operating lease obligations, to $18.4 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2006, compared to $20.1 billion a year earlier. In addition to $1.2 billion in scheduled principal payments that AMR made in 2006, the Company purchased $190 million of its outstanding debt and lease obligations during the year. AMR reduced net debt, which is defined as total debt less unrestricted cash and short-term investments, from $16.3 billion at the end of 2005 to $13.6 billion at the end of 2006.

$4.715 billion of unrestricted cash - not too shabby considering that net debt was reduced by $2.7 billion during 2006, even in the face of very expensive jet fuel.

In the meantime AAs workers are going bankrupt.

I see a remarkable turn of face here among the management pundits here.

I said all along that AA wasnt in as bad a shape as they let on.

I was right.

I said that AAs $20 billion in debt was not a problem, and used the analogy of homeowner mortgage debt to illustrate that the debt load AA had was not much worse than what most homeowners start off with. Now FM is trying to spin the same analogy.

Corporations are not human,they are immortal, and only die from mismanagement so they can carry debt forever, in fact if they dont have any debt people would think that the company lacks initiative. Banks would not be happy if corporations did not have debt because if corporations did not borrow from the banks the banks wouldnt make money. In fact corporations often carry debt even if they dont need it because it is a way of redistributing wealth and keeping the bankers happy.If the earnings of the company are paid to the banks in the form of interest the workers cant demand a piece of it.

So for once FWAAA, FM and I are all in agreement, AMR is doing well. The problem is that it came out of our hides not theirs.

5.9 billion versus 20 billion - that is a big difference... I dont think they paid down that much debt and still behind on those dangling pensions.. dont bet on NWA.. There may not be any mergers or buyouts and all stand alones... That of course would be AA worst nightmare..

Man, you really seem to have a hard on for AA. Did someone from AA burn your house down or something? Or is it because our pensions are still intact? Maybe you will get your wish and it will get shreded like everyone elses.

Man, you really seem to have a hard on for AA. Did someone from AA burn your house down or something? Or is it because our pensions are still intact?

Intact? Better checks your facts friend, a paycut is a pension cut.

Maybe you will get your wish and it will get shreded like everyone elses.

Well, not until after they use it to get a few billion more in concessions.