Aa Commits To Lower Fares Oma-dfw

whlinder

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
IAD
www.playandmusic.com
At the bottom of the article

Nelson obtained a commitment from American Airlines' chief executive in a June 17 letter to lower fares between Omaha and Dallas.

"Senator Nelson doesn't think everything requires a legislative solution," said his spokesman, David DiMartino. "My guess is people are already seeing lower fares."

On the contrary, said Don Smithey, executive director of the Omaha Airport Authority, American's fares as of Thursday were higher than they were in May because of a fuel surcharge.

After more calls from Nelson's office to American, fares dropped Friday afternoon. "We accepted in good faith," DiMartino said. "We're holding them accountable to their letter."

The change: Omaha-Dallas walk-up fares decreased from $1,213.90 round-trip to $694, including the fuel surcharges. Tickets purchased seven days in advance were $578 round-trip, down $200. Prices for 14- and 21-day-advance tickets, $218 round-trip, didn't change.

By comparison, Southwest's walk-up fare was $487.44 roundtrip. Tickets purchased seven and 14 days ahead were $357.20 and $320. However, the flights between Omaha and Dallas Love Field are not direct due to the Wright Amendment.

American said it also would switch to a larger jet for one of the daily flights to add more seats to the Omaha-Dallas route, DiMartino said.

DiMartino said American did not commit to maintaining the lower fares for a specific amount of time. "We didn't ask them to," he said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to start complaining to my senators, as the fares I pay are far too high. I'm tired of paying $200 for transcons and $75-100 for flights to SAV or Florida. And I would like to fly on bigger planes. Like 747s. And when the A380 flies I want those to fly on my routes. It really isn't fair. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I know politicians are all about getting their constituents better air service, but directly asking the airline to lower their fares? Have they not noticed the billions in losses over the past few years?

whlinder said:
At the bottom of the article

Nelson obtained a commitment from American Airlines' chief executive in a June 17 letter to lower fares between Omaha and Dallas.

"Senator Nelson doesn't think everything requires a legislative solution," said his spokesman, David DiMartino. "My guess is people are already seeing lower fares."

On the contrary, said Don Smithey, executive director of the Omaha Airport Authority, American's fares as of Thursday were higher than they were in May because of a fuel surcharge.

After more calls from Nelson's office to American, fares dropped Friday afternoon. "We accepted in good faith," DiMartino said. "We're holding them accountable to their letter."

The change: Omaha-Dallas walk-up fares decreased from $1,213.90 round-trip to $694, including the fuel surcharges. Tickets purchased seven days in advance were $578 round-trip, down $200. Prices for 14- and 21-day-advance tickets, $218 round-trip, didn't change.

By comparison, Southwest's walk-up fare was $487.44 roundtrip. Tickets purchased seven and 14 days ahead were $357.20 and $320. However, the flights between Omaha and Dallas Love Field are not direct due to the Wright Amendment.

American said it also would switch to a larger jet for one of the daily flights to add more seats to the Omaha-Dallas route, DiMartino said.

DiMartino said American did not commit to maintaining the lower fares for a specific amount of time. "We didn't ask them to," he said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to start complaining to my senators, as the fares I pay are far too high. I'm tired of paying $200 for transcons and $75-100 for flights to SAV or Florida. And I would like to fly on bigger planes. Like 747s. And when the A380 flies I want those to fly on my routes. It really isn't fair. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I know politicians are all about getting their constituents better air service, but directly asking the airline to lower their fares? Have they not noticed the billions in losses over the past few years?
[post="283828"][/post]​

Switch to a bigger plane for one daily trip? I think there all MD-80's as is, maybe up it to a 738, not a 757 you think??