AA Customer Relations Ran Out The Clock On Our Vouchers

UngerTravel

May 23, 2022
Nov 2019 a month before our trip AA partner airline, Avianca, cancelled our flight and AA booked us on new flights, the cost difference was $1250/person x 2 ppl. We were supposed to get an email voucher, but it didn’t show, We contacted AA several times in 2020 concerned that the voucher would run out without us using it, they kept extending the deadline. In 2021 I tried to use the vouchers and was told we need to contact Customer Relations for the email vouchers which would have a specific code, that reservations agents couldn’t use the voucher without that code. We emailed CR for the vouchers and received an email back that they were working on it. Continued to receive monthly emails that they were working on it. Felt okay bc we had done what we considered our due diligence and contacted CR. Sent them a new msg in Jan 2022 asking about it again, same response. Little concerned as the vouchers run out sometime in March, but there is. no phone number to call, just an email then you have to wait for them to call you back. Tried again to use vouchers with a reservation agent in Feb and was told same thing, need the special code. Kept getting emails from CR saying they were working on it. Then stopped getting emails from them. They cancelled our vouchers as time expired on them and refuse to grant new ones. The latest email from them firmly states “it seems we haven’t been able to effectively convey …our policy”. I asked why they ran the clock out on the vouchers and they won’t answer, or will they call me as I’ve requested.

Any thoughts? We’re out $2500, a pretty decent chunk of cash.

thank you

Maybe I missed something, but I've never seen a partnership between AA and Avianca...

Avianca has been part of Star Alliance long before 2019, and American is part of Oneworld. Avianca was going thru a lot of financial issues in 2019 and declared bankruptcy after the COVID lockdowns, so any claim you had against Avianca was likely declared null and void with their bankruptcy.

AA shouldn't be expected to reimburse you for another airline's financial failures.

Maybe I missed something, but I've never seen a partnership between AA and Avianca...

Avianca has been part of Star Alliance long before 2019, and American is part of Oneworld. Avianca was going thru a lot of financial issues in 2019 and declared bankruptcy after the COVID lockdowns, so any claim you had against Avianca was likely declared null and void with their bankruptcy.

AA shouldn't be expected to reimburse you for another airline's financial failures.
We bought tix thru AA so when Avianca cancelled AA rebooked us and rather than refund the price diff decided to issue vouchers. AA should reimburse us as we paid AA for the flight.

Latest posts