AA Expanding in New York

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
AA.com
- adding 7 new destinations served by 23 additional flights from the city's two airports, enhancing the travel experience with upgraded aircraft, and providing customers with improved terminal facilities.

- American has also entered in an agreement with JetBlue Airways that will offer JetBlue customers connections to American's international flights and new domestic flight options on JetBlue for American customers out of New York and Boston.

New Routes With American and American Eagle
LaGuardia
New American Eagle Bombardier CRJ-700 airplanes, outfitted with First Class as well as Coach Class, will fly several new routes from LaGuardia to:
Atlanta - Seven times daily effective July 2
Charlotte - Five times daily effective August 24
Minneapolis/St. Paul - Four times daily effective October 1

The CRJ-700s will also be used to fly existing routes from LaGuardia, including:
Raleigh-Durham, effective August 1
Toronto, effective August 24

American will also increase mainline daily roundtrips to Miami and Chicago from LaGuardia.

JFK
American begins service in April and May to San Jose, Costa Rica; Madrid, Spain; and Manchester, England.
In July, American will commence non-stop service to Austin.
In November, American will add twice-daily, non-stop service to Fort Lauderdale, and increase daily frequencies to Orlando, Las Vegas, and Miami.
American Eagle will add daily roundtrip regional jet service to Columbus, effective April 6, and St. Louis, effective July 2.
In November, American Eagle will begin one roundtrip daily to Norfolk, and add twice-daily service to Indianapolis and Cincinnati, using Embraer regional jets.
American Eagle will also assign the two-class CRJ-700s to upgrade existing routes from JFK, offering First Class service to Washington Reagan, Boston, and Toronto starting in early 2011.

American will also increase mainline daily roundtrips to Miami and Chicago from LaGuardia.

But they're planning yet another headcount reduction at LGA in the weeks to come. The amount of OT that is being thrown around here is truly amazing.Guys are getting 4 hours preshift , 4+ hours holdover,10-12 hours day off both days, I'm surprised we haven't seen AMT's and GSE/GT mechanics on OT yet.

Almost a thousand man hours of OT a week and counting.It's out of control.

I guess if you can't beat them join them. It will expand their service in NY in case DL gets their way in LGA. We will see if it works because of the difference in fare structure. I guess AA will be doing the same with WN next if they can't complete might as well get customers from them. Anyone here know if they'll kill any service and use JB instead of AA metal.

Anyone here know if they'll kill any service and use JB instead of AA metal.

The answer is yes, no, and maybe. This is not a codesharing agreement where the passenger's ticket says AA, but the sticker on the airplane says JetBlue.

The interline agreement allows JetBlue to ticket their passengers and transfer baggage through to an AA flight, and vice versa. If an AA passenger coming into JFK from LHR is going on to Ft. Lauderdale, and the AA service requires a multi-hour sit at JFK or transferring to LGA, why would they not book over to a JetBlue flight that is leaving from JFK within two hours?

I also have questions about the new JFK-LAS service. If that is flown on a widebody, no problemo. If it is flown on a S80 or one of the newly configured 737s (from what I hear there ain't no legroom in the back on those), why would anyone fly that far in misery when they could just as easily fly on JetBlue with all their amenities?

To answer your question...time will tell.

The answer is yes, no, and maybe. This is not a codesharing agreement where the passenger's ticket says AA, but the sticker on the airplane says JetBlue.

The interline agreement allows JetBlue to ticket their passengers and transfer baggage through to an AA flight, and vice versa. If an AA passenger coming into JFK from LHR is going on to Ft. Lauderdale, and the AA service requires a multi-hour sit at JFK or transferring to LGA, why would they not book over to a JetBlue flight that is leaving from JFK within two hours?

I also have questions about the new JFK-LAS service. If that is flown on a widebody, no problemo. If it is flown on a S80 or one of the newly configured 737s (from what I hear there ain't no legroom in the back on those), why would anyone fly that far in misery when they could just as easily fly on JetBlue with all their amenities?

It's like sleeping with the enemy.... or how does the saying go.... keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
The interlining will only be available on the routes where we don't compete. The press release listed them. Of course, once our passengers get a taste of the free live TV and the blue potato chips, our "award winning beverage service" is gonna pale in comparison.

I just read AA will also do a swap deal with B6.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=comm&id=news/awx/2010/03/31/awx_03_31_2010_p0-216301.xml&headline=American,%20JetBlue%20Poised%20For%20Tighter%20Links

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/american-airlines-and-jetblue-airways-sign-agreement-to-collaborate-at-key-east-coast-gateways-89588957.html

http://nycaviation.com/2010/03/31/jetblue-and-american-airlines-to-announce-codeshare-on-international-flights-wednesday-sources/

Baggage? Who checks baggage?

This is a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"...

DL's pissing off both AA and B6, so they decided that it's easier to fight DL together than it is to fight them separately. Since Jetblue hasn't interlined much (they have an agreement with LH, but I think that's it), this is a big change for them. I'm sure their being on Sabre helps.

The writing is on the wall...

AA and JB join forces to compete against DL in NYC. JB is switching to Sabre, JB has newer aircraft and JB has a brand new state of the art terminal at JFK. DL wants the JB terminal at JFK in a big way. AA merges with JB and gets newer aircraft to replace the aged MD80's. American operates all International departures out terminal 8 and all Domestic out of terminal 5.

This is JMHO.

Already heard the "Jetblue is being bought by AMR" thing this morning from a guy at Delta.

It's more likely that Jetblue would join oneworld than for AA to merge with them.

Already heard the "Jetblue is being bought by AMR" thing this morning from a guy at Delta.

It's more likely that Jetblue would join oneworld than for AA to merge with them.

I agree. I can see AA codesharing with JB and JB eventually becoming part of
oneworld. Even though the idea of AA buying JB and keeping all the new JB
aircraft and getting rid of the old MD80 makes a lot of sense.

Both are more powerful brands in NY, but pick a topic, and they're on opposite ends of the spectrum.

One has customers who love the brand, the other has customers who tolerate the brand.

One has employees fully engaged in making the brand successful, the other has employees doing everything they can to trash the company's name.

One understands how to connect to younger customers via social media, the other sees social media as "that intraweb thingee" and a threat to controlling the message...

I could go on, but it would be like clubbing baby seals.

if anything, it would probably wind up being Jetblue taking over AA. They're the one with the cash and a good credit rating.

Fortunately, their management team is too smart to consider such foolery.

Both are more powerful brands in NY, but pick a topic, and they're on opposite ends of the spectrum.

One has customers who love the brand, the other has customers who tolerate the brand.

One has employees fully engaged in making the brand successful, the other has employees doing everything they can to trash the company's name.

One understands how to connect to younger customers via social media, the other sees social media as "that intraweb thingee" and a threat to controlling the message...

I could go on, but it would be like clubbing baby seals.

if anything, it would probably wind up being Jetblue taking over AA. They're the one with the cash and a good credit rating.

Fortunately, their management team is too smart to consider such foolery.

Finally a statement I can agree with especially the point about the smart management team. And as you know I love flying Jet Blue