AA files antitrust lawsuit against Orbitz and Travelport

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
AA has filed suit against Orbitz and Travelport, alleging that those companies violated Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act, together with claims of tortious interference and other misconduct:

American Airlines today filed a civil antitrust lawsuit against Travelport, LLC, and Orbitz Worldwide to stop exclusionary and anticompetitive business practices of the defendants and recover monetary damages that American has incurred as a result of the harmful actions.

The lawsuit states that Travelport, which effectively controls the distribution of fares and other content to a large number of travel agencies and their corporate customers, has engaged in anticompetitive conduct to protect its market position from new competition by alternative technologies that are both less expensive and more capable.

http://distributionupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/04-13-11-Statement-regarding-Travelport-Orbits-Antitrust.pdf

Copy of Complaint (court filing):

http://distributionupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/TravelportOrbitzComplaint41311.pdf

I predict success for AA, either a favorable settlement or a court victory.

Reactions: 1 person
go get 'em...
and yes I too predict a settlement with undisclosed terms that will result in them using Direct Connect - leading to that becoming the industry standard within a couple years.
Ultimately, AA will sell its proprietary Direct Connect technology and decide that they can make more money than they can operating an airline so will put AA up for sale where it will be bought 25% by BA and 75% by Delta who will then combined oneworld and Skyteam into one gigantic team of Sky..... and AA will require that the Eagle must be displaced on the fuselage of all US registered large jet aircraft - and all competitors will GLADLY agree and so AA's legacy will live in forever and ever...
and that, my friends, is how AA will win in its lawsuit against Direct Connect.
party is at my house tonite at 9 if you want some of what I am drinking. :--)

Reactions: 1 person
go get 'em...
and yes I too predict a settlement with undisclosed terms that will result in them using Direct Connect - leading to that becoming the industry standard within a couple years.
Ultimately, AA will sell its proprietary Direct Connect technology and decide that they can make more money than they can operating an airline so will put AA up for sale where it will be bought 25% by BA and 75% by Delta who will then combined oneworld and Skyteam into one gigantic team of Sky..... and AA will require that the Eagle must be displaced on the fuselage of all US registered large jet aircraft - and all competitors will GLADLY agree and so AA's legacy will live in forever and ever...
and that, my friends, is how AA will win in its lawsuit against Direct Connect.
party is at my house tonite at 9 if you want some of what I am drinking. :--)

A little late for April Fools but good to see you have a sense of humor. :D